Cupra springs on an FR?

Starkblood80

Feb 15, 2020
Hi
Has anyone tried fitting cupra coil springs to FR DCC struts? I’d like to lower my MY18 2.0 tsi FR but not the 35-40mm that is typical of after market lowering springs.

Thanks

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Don’t think there is any difference between FR and Cupra ride height. If you want a modest drop, Eibach Pro Kit are your best bet :) Whenever they quote the drop it’s usually off the SE models. The FR and Cupra are already 15mm lower from memory.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The FR and Cupra are already 15mm lower from memory.

I thought it was 20mm?

One of the things I dislike about lowering springs is that they often take more off the back. Virtually all cars sit slightly higher at the back and the afflicted want to 'correct' this by lowering the rear of the car more so that it sits level. Aftermarket spring manufacturers often just give them what they want.

But there is a reason car manufacturers make their cars sit higher at the back. On the move, the rear of the car dips slightly so if it's flat when stationary it looks wrong while driving. Add any weight at all in the rear of the car and it looks fecked!

Starkblood80

Feb 15, 2020
Don’t think there is any difference between FR and Cupra ride height. If you want a modest drop, Eibach Pro Kit are your best bet :) Whenever they quote the drop it’s usually off the SE models. The FR and Cupra are already 15mm lower from memory.
Interesting as according to Parkers Guild the Cupra has a lower overall height than the FR

FR

Cupra

also looking at the Sachs standard springs the cupras are shorter but the spring is a thicker diameter

FR

Cupra

Starkblood80

Feb 15, 2020
I thought it was 20mm?

One of the things I dislike about lowering springs is that they often take more off the back. Virtually all cars sit slightly higher at the back and the afflicted want to 'correct' this by lowering the rear of the car more so that it sits level. Aftermarket spring manufacturers often just give them what they want.

But there is a reason car manufacturers make their cars sit higher at the back. On the move, the rear of the car dips slightly so if it's flat when stationary it looks wrong while driving. Add any weight at all in the rear of the car and it looks fecked!
Eibach quote 35mm front and 30mm rear so that shouldn’t be an issue?

Reactions: black_sheep

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Nose down is best look nothing worse than trailing your back end along the tarmac

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Workshop manuals here have the vehicle ride heights:

From the Running Gear, Axles, Steering manual, FR and Cupra (non-DCC) have 15mm drop vs standard front and rear.

For Cupra and Cupra R with DCC, there is an additional drop 10mm Front, 5mm Rear.

Attachments

• 6EF289C5-D5CC-4D57-897E-008131AC3DBF.jpeg
    6EF289C5-D5CC-4D57-897E-008131AC3DBF.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Workshop manuals here have the vehicle ride heights:

From the Running Gear, Axles, Steering manual, FR and Cupra (non-DCC) have 15mm drop vs standard front and rear.

For Cupra and Cupra R with DCC, there is an additional drop 10mm Front, 5mm Rear.
Didn’t know you could get the Mk3 Cupra without DCC. Is that the 265 one?