Cupra TFSI owners opinions needed

jellybabybandit

May 1, 2007
Hey guys

Currently own an ibiza 2.0 tdi FR which is nice and quick with its remap and great on the fuel but been looking at changing due to needing something bigger. So seen a nice red leon cupra 2009 with just 37k miles.

Going for a look tomorrow and I was wondering what to look out for ? Any common issues ?

I know I will see my fuel bills go up but not that worried as I only do about 700 to 900 miles a month. Also been told the 2.0 tdi is decent on fuel for what it is putting out.

Cheers

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Looks nice, facelift too so better interior. Looks like someone's added a footrest plate too ( to match pedals). Other than some have an appetite for oil, other items - bonnet insulation goes mouldy - common fault, Seat had a fix which is a bit hit and miss , rear wheel alignment - can be out causing tyre wear on inner shoulder and a droning noise similar to a failed wheel bearing.
Best colour car/wheel combo too, it's scientifically proven that red is the fastest colour... ;)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Looks nice, facelift too so better interior. Looks like someone's added a footrest plate too ( to match pedals). Other than some have an appetite for oil, other items - bonnet insulation goes mouldy - common fault, Seat had a fix which is a bit hit and miss , rear wheel alignment - can be out causing tyre wear on inner shoulder and a droning noise similar to a failed wheel bearing.
Best colour car/wheel combo too, it's scientifically proven that red is the fastest colour... ;)
These scientists are fickle creatures ;)

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire

I thought it was blue that was the fastest? Or had that changed in 4 days? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Looks like a bit of black vinyl wrap below the grille on the bottom edge of the front bumper, so someone previously modded.

The foot rest (to the right of the throttle) looks a bit of a mess for the mileage, although might just be the photo.

The silver plastic bit on the bottom of the steering wheel looks like its warn a bit, the black seems to be showing through - although again that might just be the photo.

My 2010 came with 47k on the clock and no real wear on those places.
I don't know how easily clocked they are, but make sure the history stands up.
My experience of looking at Leons at non-Seat dealerships was not a good one!! Seems a dumping ground for cars with expensive bills coming up to people who know nothing about them, plus you will probably get a warranty which covers fook all from them!

Last edited:

jellybabybandit

May 1, 2007
Looks like a bit of black vinyl wrap below the grille on the bottom edge of the front bumper, so someone previously modded.

The foot rest (to the right of the throttle) looks a bit of a mess for the mileage, although might just be the photo.

The silver plastic bit on the bottom of the steering wheel looks like its warn a bit, the black seems to be showing through - although again that might just be the photo.

My 2010 came with 47k on the clock and no real wear on those places.
I don't know how easily clocked they are, but make sure the history stands up.
My experience of looking at Leons at non-Seat dealerships was not a good one!! Seems a dumping ground for cars with expensive bills coming up to people who know nothing about them, plus you will probably get a warranty which covers fook all from them!

That's well spotted. Might need some investigating

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I thought it was blue that was the fastest? Or had that changed in 4 days? Haha

Exactly my point, the scientists have done a u turn Oli, only happened very recently, just coincidence that Andy swapped his blue car (previously the fastest colour) for a red car (the newly discovered fastest colour) ;)

Sent from my G3 using Tuppytalk

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Exactly my point, the scientists have done a u turn Oli, only happened very recently, just coincidence that Andy swapped his blue car (previously the fastest colour) for a red car (the newly discovered fastest colour) ;)

Sent from my G3 using Tuppytalk
Previous research ( around 2010 , around the time we had an FR. in Red) proved the theory that RED is the fastest colour ( Prof Braynstarm University of Central Portland Bill)
However, in 2012, a new theory was raised by Professor Dimbledare ( yes, he has a brother) that Blue was the fastest, hence the reason Seat called it 'Speed' Blue. Recently doubt was raised about Dimbledare's theories in light of the case bought by the Ommpa Loompas. ( see Regina V Dimbledare) this resulted in Seat removing 'speed' blue from the colour range in order to avoid prosecution under the trades description act. Red has therefore been restored to its rightful position as the fastest colour.
and no I am not the Stig.
Can I go now its time for my medication....... :D

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Previous research ( around 2010 , around the time we had an FR. in Red) proved the theory that RED is the fastest colour ( Prof Braynstarm University of Central Portland Bill)

However, in 2012, a new theory was raised by Professor Dimbledare ( yes, he has a brother) that Blue was the fastest, hence the reason Seat called it 'Speed' Blue. Recently doubt was raised about Dimbledare's theories in light of the case bought by the Ommpa Loompas. ( see Regina V Dimbledare) this resulted in Seat removing 'speed' blue from the colour range in order to avoid prosecution under the trades description act. Red has therefore been restored to its rightful position as the fastest colour.

and no I am not the Stig.

Can I go now its time for my medication....... :D

Are you okay Andy? Haha.

Richoscos

Richoscos
Apr 7, 2014
Hertfordshire
Has the timing belt been changed on it? Different opinions on when it needs doing, but general consensus seems to be between 40-50k. I had mine done on my '11 plate Cupra a couple of weeks ago (just hit 40k when it was done) and the belt was a *little* ragged and brittle.

Cost in the region of £400 to change belt and water pump, fyi mate.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members