Cupra to 1.4 EcoTSI.. regret?

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Thinking about swapping my Cupra in for an SC 1.4 EcoTSI DSG. I don't use the car often and when I do its short journeys, but I do like the point and squirt power when I drive. Will I regret it? :happy:

I came from a 211PS MK2 FR DSG and that was completely adequate for the road and I felt the throttle felt much more connected than on the Cupra with its mushy pedal, this 1.4 is still slower than my car previous to that.. the twincharged Ibiza FR! :(

Also is the DQ200 DSG7 still a sealed unit that doesn't need a service?

Going off another thread currently running its 60k/6 years for the belt or is there different timings?

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I would say definitely regret, they make bigger lawnmowers haha

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

I was thinking 1 years tax is not far off 1 months and surely I'd get better than about 21-25mpg on a quick blast. :happy:

I've recently paid £600 for front brakes and got a new waterpump done under warranty for £800 but still it seems like money going nowhere with all the costs of it sitting there!

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Is it the 150 or 125?

Having had a 125ps EcoBoost Focus, that's not enough for a car of this size and weight... In the end I sold it and kept my diesel Golf, putting up with near constant DPF regens but plenty of torque!! Only way I'm going petrol again is with a decent torquey lump...

Tax on all cars registered after April 1st 2017 is £150...so depending on how old you're looking at, cheaper tax is no longer a reason to buy a slow car lol.

And there won't be much difference in fuel costs if you're rarely using the car.

Snall engine models get twist beam rear suspension and no DCC so likely to be less comfortable than a Cupra.

The only valid reason I can see for the change is the depreciation...but will a 1.4 depreciate any more slowly? The Cupra will always remain a desirable model...

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Is it the 150 or 125?

Having had a 125ps EcoBoost Focus, that's not enough for a car of this size and weight... In the end I sold it and kept my diesel Golf, putting up with near constant DPF regens but plenty of torque!! Only way I'm going petrol again is with a decent torquey lump...

Tax on all cars registered after April 1st 2017 is £150...so depending on how old you're looking at, cheaper tax is no longer a reason to buy a slow car lol.

And there won't be much difference in fuel costs if you're rarely using the car.

Snall engine models get twist beam rear suspension and no DCC so likely to be less comfortable than a Cupra.

The only valid reason I can see for the change is the depreciation...but will a 1.4 depreciate any more slowly? The Cupra will always remain a desirable model...

Its 150 engine, like 7.9 0-60 184lb/ft torque. not exactly super slow realistically. :happy:

Sorry I should have added I'd looking at around 15-16 plate one though so its like £20-30 tax.

All Seats depreciate alot, you can already pick up Cupras for 12k now, I got mine for under 14k and it was 32k new 5 years prior.

Reactions: TomsLeon

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
I was thinking 1 years tax is not far off 1 months and surely I'd get better than about 21-25mpg on a quick blast. :happy:

I've recently paid £600 for front brakes and got a new waterpump done under warranty for £800 but still it seems like money going nowhere with all the costs of it sitting there!
Yea there's pros but you wil be passed by a cup and think dam wish i kept it

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Tonezz

Soundlab

Sep 14, 2019
Based on what you are currently driving, if my experience is anything to go by then yes you will miss the power.

I have the 150hp engine and have come from a number of quick cars over the past 20+ years before deciding to "get sensible". My previous cars were 320hp Nissan Pulsar GTI-R, a near 500hp Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, then a Mk5 Golf GTI, then a Focus ST (the 2.5l). At this point, I thought I'd try and get sensible - I was fed up paying well over 300 quid a year on tax, and the ST went through petrol like you wouldn't believe (far worse than the Skyline and this was standard whereas the Skyline very much wasn't !).

There are odd moments where the 150 feels "lively" but it runs out of puff so quickly - there's no real buzz about the acceleration either. It's ok, it's no slouch, but at the same time, you will very much miss the power that you have now.

You're in the same boat I was in with my Skyline. It was immaculate, i'd paid out for all sorts to be done (not just tuning but making sure everything was perfect - such as spending a fortune replacing all of the suspension bushes not long before I sold it). HOWEVER, it was sat in my garage not being used - so I let it go. To me at the time there seemed little point having something so costly sitting in the garage all the time, so I sold it for something still fun but more practical day to day (which at the time for me was the GTI).

I'd suggest you try one ASAP - so that you know how it feels. I've been toying with the idea of trying a tuning box just to see if it makes it feel a bit more punchy - but not sure I can be bothered.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I'd at least look for an FR rather than a SC. The FR has always looked like a car your Grandad would run to the shops, but the SC is even worse.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
I'd at least look for an FR rather than a SC. The FR has always looked like a car your Grandad would run to the shops, but the SC is even worse.
SC is the 2 door variant (Sport Coupe) available in FR spec too.
The best looking of the body styles IMO and how the original car was designed, the 4 door and estate (ST~ Sport Touring) versions being derivations of that design. ;)

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Based on what you are currently driving, if my experience is anything to go by then yes you will miss the power.

I have the 150hp engine and have come from a number of quick cars over the past 20+ years before deciding to "get sensible". My previous cars were 320hp Nissan Pulsar GTI-R, a near 500hp Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, then a Mk5 Golf GTI, then a Focus ST (the 2.5l). At this point, I thought I'd try and get sensible - I was fed up paying well over 300 quid a year on tax, and the ST went through petrol like you wouldn't believe (far worse than the Skyline and this was standard whereas the Skyline very much wasn't !).

There are odd moments where the 150 feels "lively" but it runs out of puff so quickly - there's no real buzz about the acceleration either. It's ok, it's no slouch, but at the same time, you will very much miss the power that you have now.

You're in the same boat I was in with my Skyline. It was immaculate, i'd paid out for all sorts to be done (not just tuning but making sure everything was perfect - such as spending a fortune replacing all of the suspension bushes not long before I sold it). HOWEVER, it was sat in my garage not being used - so I let it go. To me at the time there seemed little point having something so costly sitting in the garage all the time, so I sold it for something still fun but more practical day to day (which at the time for me was the GTI).

I'd suggest you try one ASAP - so that you know how it feels. I've been toying with the idea of trying a tuning box just to see if it makes it feel a bit more punchy - but not sure I can be bothered.

Yea I need to give one a good run to really make a comparison, I like the titanium bodykit ones as well which seem to be pretty rare on DSG petrols.

The one thing I really don't like about the Cupra though is the mushy half dead accelerator pedal. A pedal box is supposed to make this way better but how little I use the car it seems pointless to spend £200 to make the pedal a bit better to drive a few miles.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I used to have a 2.0TDI 150 MK3 Dsg Leon, then I had a 1.0TSI 110 MK5 FL DSG Ibiza, now a Volvo V40 1.5T 152. Till today I still miss the shove in the back feeling of 320Nm from the 2.0TDI...and the other 2 cars aren't exactly slow.....oddly the V40 on paper is half a sec quicker to 60 than the 2.0TDI Leon, but it certainly doesn't feel like with 250Nm torques. So if you're going from Cupra to EcoTsi, yes I'm sure you will miss it!

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
All Seats depreciate alot, you can already pick up Cupras for 12k now, I got mine for under 14k and it was 32k new 5 years prior.

Not depreciating enough while I'm trying to buy one... :ROFLMAO:

Being a 150ps and the cheaper tax does make some difference though...

I guess another question is, is the car your 'hobby' or do you have other things to keep you occupied? I'm fairly boring and don't really have any other hobbies...which I quickly realised after dropping out of the 'car scene' a few years ago lol. One reason I'm looking to go back to something more interesting myself.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Not depreciating enough while I'm trying to buy one... :ROFLMAO:

Being a 150ps and the cheaper tax does make some difference though...

I guess another question is, is the car your 'hobby' or do you have other things to keep you occupied? I'm fairly boring and don't really have any other hobbies...which I quickly realised after dropping out of the 'car scene' a few years ago lol. One reason I'm looking to go back to something more interesting myself.

They seem to have gone up in value since I got it, but P/X its prob worth nowhere near. I need to swap car for car so I can't private sale then buy a car.
I got a 65 plate Alor Blue 5 door DSG with about 45k miles, sound pack and winter pack for just under £13.8k.

I wouldn't say its a hobby, I've always had a quicker higher spec car than most boggo cars on the road though!

Reactions: TomsLeon
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.