Cupra vs ST

Oct 20, 2019
Hull
The Cupra290 is my wife's daily driver and my weekend toy totally stick apart from a res-delete. The focus ST is this weeks car from work (200bhp diesel variant)
Sooo I decided to have a bit of a play in the ST and compared to the Cupra it’s a bit... meh 😑
Don’t get me wrong some bits are miles above the Cupra
- the factory fit fully electric heated Recaro s are superb
- heated steering wheel really is a game changer in this weather
- factory b&o is superb compared to the seats sound system
- Michelin pilot sport 4s as standard are what the Cupra should of come on

but that’s where the good pints end for me...

The whole interior is cheap and plasticity (typical Ford) it’s done around 3k and there are lots of rattles like a lot! And I thought road noise was bad in the Cupra but the ST is far noisier and combined with the rattles it gets annoying and being the ST DIESEL you can’t drown it out with exhaust note.
I kinda wish it was the petrol for a performance comparison but it’s not so after driving the Cupra with 286bhp 380fltbs and the ST with 188bhp 400fltbs it was seriously disappointing..... and throw in the manual box which is a bit clunky was just the knife in its back.... the problem with this car for me is the theatrics of the big brakes with red callipers, the aggressive ST styling, factory Recaro, the sticky tyres and the Ford performance on the dash build you up for a car that can perform... but for me it really wasn't.

I guess for what it is the Cupra is a seriously good car and great all rounder. Maybe to someone going from like a fiesta eco boost to the st it would be a great car.

interested to hear from other owners if they have had the chance to drive the new st or similar 👍🏻

Attachments

• D335227D-D820-49BC-A4D3-A01BCBE83A8A.jpeg
    D335227D-D820-49BC-A4D3-A01BCBE83A8A.jpeg
    855.1 KB · Views: 201

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Ford..... Found on roadside dead. Says it all mate haha

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Steeldevil

Jan 13, 2019
The Cupra290 is my wife's daily driver and my weekend toy totally stick apart from a res-delete. The focus ST is this weeks car from work (200bhp diesel variant)
Sooo I decided to have a bit of a play in the ST and compared to the Cupra it’s a bit... meh 😑
Don’t get me wrong some bits are miles above the Cupra
- the factory fit fully electric heated Recaro s are superb
- heated steering wheel really is a game changer in this weather
- factory b&o is superb compared to the seats sound system
- Michelin pilot sport 4s as standard are what the Cupra should of come on

but that’s where the good pints end for me...

The whole interior is cheap and plasticity (typical Ford) it’s done around 3k and there are lots of rattles like a lot! And I thought road noise was bad in the Cupra but the ST is far noisier and combined with the rattles it gets annoying and being the ST DIESEL you can’t drown it out with exhaust note.
I kinda wish it was the petrol for a performance comparison but it’s not so after driving the Cupra with 286bhp 380fltbs and the ST with 188bhp 400fltbs it was seriously disappointing..... and throw in the manual box which is a bit clunky was just the knife in its back.... the problem with this car for me is the theatrics of the big brakes with red callipers, the aggressive ST styling, factory Recaro, the sticky tyres and the Ford performance on the dash build you up for a car that can perform... but for me it really wasn't.

I guess for what it is the Cupra is a seriously good car and great all rounder. Maybe to someone going from like a fiesta eco boost to the st it would be a great car.

interested to hear from other owners if they have had the chance to drive the new st or similar 👍🏻

Having grown up in the 70s and 80s i used to be a ford man, there really was no comparison imho. But nowadays i just don't get why the media constantly bang on about Ford's handling being far superior than any other car. Its like they've all been briefed on what to say.
When i drive a modern Ford i find them a little dull, what does everyone else think?

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Agree 100%. The cheap, nasty interior is one thing, amongst others, that put me off the RS. I had an ST Line Focus hire car for work once - it was replaced with a Hyundai i30 after a while. Miles better car in most respects - comfortable, lots of kit and a good long distance cruiser. That ST Line was absolute garbage. If I needed a good, everyday, comfortable, reliable car, the i30 would be it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Half the issue with comparing the two is that they're different animals.
If it was the petrol ST then it would be completely different.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
St int an animal unless theres a cat on roof

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
St int an animal unless theres a cat on roof

It's a different animal compared the Cupra (if you read my sentence).

Comparing a Derv ST to a petrol Cupra is like comparing a donkey to a lion, especially when looking at performance.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Yes but the diesel has still got the garbage interior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did a lot of miles in a normal new focus and it was actually alright inside. It certainly felt no worse than the pre-fl Cupra.
The dials were fricking horrible though.

Reactions: xyz
Oct 20, 2019
Hull
Having grown up in the 70s and 80s i used to be a ford man, there really was no comparison imho. But nowadays i just don't get why the media constantly bang on about Ford's handling being far superior than any other car. Its like they've all been briefed on what to say.
When i drive a modern Ford i find them a little dull, what does everyone else think?
Totally agree steering input felt very vague, loved the mk1 focus RS and when
oh I agree 100% Ford should t of put that engine it an still called it an st cos it’s gutless

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
It's a different animal compared the Cupra (if you read my sentence).

Comparing a Derv ST to a petrol Cupra is like comparing a donkey to a lion, especially when looking at performance.

Yes agree dan but when a car is compared to an animal its not usually a donkey lol

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
I had a courtesy focus best but about it was the spongey steering wheel other than that it was shite, wheel hopped worse than a cupra kil

Reactions: xyz
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.