CupraConnect and the Infotainment System

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
Back on this thread... chatting with the Dealership I've been introduced to several other menu combinations after an update to software v1803, plus my maps updated themselves to 21.9 at the weekend (the car didn't go anywhere Fri thru Mon). I dropped myself as Primary and reconnected using two-keys method but still the car refuses to save Home and Favourites after switching off and on again.
Things noticed - the keys both flash the leds when I open and shut (not lock) the doors, and the screens 'seem' to persist after the 1803 update. I found the Intelligent Hybrid app in the menus, only trouble is it relies on the car knowing where Home is, which it forgets when I switch off.

When driving its now confirmed by myself and other half, that the selector switches from Drive to Sport - then to Cupra profile and remains there until the next time the car is switched off. I've not worked out how to get back to Sport profile without using the screens.

I've discovered how to add destinations in the Connect app - user error before - but I get an error each time I try to Use in Vehicle. I can flash the indicators on command though, and preheat/schedule departure without problem.

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
Is anyone seeing any issues today?

Yet again it's switched me out of the main profile into "Guest". I can get back into the primary profile but it literally switches out as I'm driving. I've also just got an email saying my "CUPRA CONNECT services have been deactivated"

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
Seems OK here today (and was yesterday 11am).
My maps are now displaying a lot more info than they've done previously - even pubs on the route are coming up!
And 'some' postcodes appear to be resolving to localities, if not addresses which is an improvement on a grid ref. Lets hope its not a fluke.

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
Hope everyone had a good festive break......
My car has auto-updated the maps to 21.11 so hopefully moving in the right direction. It also seems more receptive to postcodes and address entries, with a lot more place names appearing on the map displays. Still it forgets where Home and any Favourites are once switched off, although I was able to grab a coffee at a service station last week and it had remembered my destination when I got back in.

Oh, and the gear selector - starting in Sport profile, D, after I switched to S it went into Comfort profile when I tried to return to D. Just wierd.

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
News: Dealer has had the car for more diagnostics, including full factory reset (on software 1803) requiring reconnecting to both keys and online services, to try to resolve the issue of 'forgetting' all of the favourites etc., after a power cycle. Result is that they are going to replace the whole Infotainment computer.
The part arrived quickly, I just need to book the car in - its a few hours work to replace as its behind the dash.
Meantime, a recall update was done on the traction control software and an update to KESSY to prevent issues with lock/unlock when both keys are in range.

Fingers crossed!

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
Good News!
The car was back at the dealers yesterday, for a replacement of the head unit (or whatever parts that consists of).
Although the system settings show I'm still on 1803, with the same hardware (and maps reverted to 20.3 - it had updated to 22.1), as soon as I re-established CupraConnect via my app, all of my app-stored favourites pinged up in the car (never done that before), my HOME is recalled and stored and many of the other random settings are no longer forgotten when I power off the car.
There were several software updates reported that came down immediately, the phone pairing was slightly different (completely different format pairing identity).
The car has been on charge overnight according to the app schedule and is reporting all OK this morning. I just need to check for any further map updates and reinstall Alexa (although it was easier to use my phone for Alexa anyway).

The dealer also did my 9000 mile first oil change, so I won't have to go back in the next couple of weeks for that (I asked for that).

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
Does the Cupra Connect app actually work properly lately for anyone?

I've tried to access my driving data via the website but got a generic error over the last few days only for that to be replaced with a notice today saying the Cupra Connect website is going to be deprecated on 22nd April.

If I use the mobile app the driving data is absolute gibberish and has no bearing on reality whatsoever. Is it just me?

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
I saw that the Website was being taken down a little while ago - you have to use the app on you phone now.
The app has been OK on my Android (S20) but as is the way of jinx, didn't update yesterday and so failed to trigger the off-peak overnight charge last night.
After todays 50 mile trip I was informed that the high-voltage battery was exhausted (we know how it feels). I looked in the battery settings (I'm now on sw A856 - so half way to 1896 OTA) and the reserve was set to 0% so hey-ho, you don't say it was exhausted.
Pinged it back to 10%, a bit of a charge to prove all ok and we're away. Just need the update to complete now (its been a week).

John Wick

May 12, 2022
Not sure if anyone encountered my issue. I have a formentor, vz2. It was initially running 1672 logged in a primary user. When I had a dealership update to 1896 I can login on both app and car, but when I agree to become primary user it just hangs on the please wait screen and never changes?

Been trying daily for over a week?

Any suggestions, have tried factory reset and adding and removing the car several times.

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
Thread resurrection......
I've confirmed that the hardware part in my car replaced last time was "5F Control Unit" - that was back in March.
After working well for 3 1/2 months, following the A856 OTA update the same hardware has failed again. The system reboots itself half a dozen times, then gives up entirely. Dealer was able to complete update to 1896 but no joy.
The car is now with the dealer who advises end of July likely before the replacement part arrives (I'm in a queue). Meanwhile, a hire car is on its way......

Seriously looking at alternative vehicles now, non-VW group.

Jul 5, 2022
Thread resurrection......
I've confirmed that the hardware part in my car replaced last time was "5F Control Unit" - that was back in March.
After working well for 3 1/2 months, following the A856 OTA update the same hardware has failed again. The system reboots itself half a dozen times, then gives up entirely. Dealer was able to complete update to 1896 but no joy.
The car is now with the dealer who advises end of July likely before the replacement part arrives (I'm in a queue). Meanwhile, a hire car is on its way......

Seriously looking at alternative vehicles now, non-VW group.
Do other VW e-hybrids use the same control unit? I was attracted to the Cupra e-hybrid because of the electric front seat but the Audi TFSIe 45 S line Competition doesn't seem ti have the same complaints as the Cupra e-hybrid on here. Maybe there's not as many sold yet or I've been looking in the wrong place.

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
So..... the Cupra has gone. Rejected and I am clear of the deal. It still awaits the replaacement part(s) at the dealership - I was unhappy at paying for a car I didn't have on top of its recurring and ongoing troubles. It was a big decision, as the car was a fantastic drive and absolutely looked the part, plus it remained pretty much exclusive (here in Wales).

For the interested, I have now a Mercedes A-Class.
The price (it's new) was very similar but I don't have the hybrid option. That's noticable in the way it drives but I'm learning how to be a petrol-head all over again. It has however managed 53mpg in its first 1000 miles (running in). It has all the bells and whistles the VZ2 had, plus heated seats, but notably it all works and works predicatably. The interior light show is every bit a match for the Cupra, the connection to my phone is instant and reliable (and you get 3 years without having to fork out), maps have already been updated, heater controls are illuminated and physical buttons, swmbo and I both have our own profiles (they really work).
Overall, it feels a much more grown-up car that I'm not being a guinea-pig test pilot in.

And after 1300 miles, nothing has gone wrong.
Sorry Cupra, too many faults all at once.

Reactions: andykn

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
Not sure whether to say sorry to hear that or happy for you that it's gone...

I can sympathise though. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I've got two more years of trivial issues, and mine is gone too. Luckily most of our journeys are local (hence we went for the hybrid) so I don't spend much time in the car but we did go away for the weekend last week and sure enough, on the way back in the middle of a massive detour (due to a closed motorway) the infotainment system decided I didn't need its help and crapped out of me.

Jul 5, 2022
So..... the Cupra has gone. Rejected and I am clear of the deal. It still awaits the replaacement part(s) at the dealership - I was unhappy at paying for a car I didn't have on top of its recurring and ongoing troubles. It was a big decision, as the car was a fantastic drive and absolutely looked the part, plus it remained pretty much exclusive (here in Wales).

For the interested, I have now a Mercedes A-Class.
The price (it's new) was very similar but I don't have the hybrid option. That's noticable in the way it drives but I'm learning how to be a petrol-head all over again. It has however managed 53mpg in its first 1000 miles (running in). It has all the bells and whistles the VZ2 had, plus heated seats, but notably it all works and works predicatably. The interior light show is every bit a match for the Cupra, the connection to my phone is instant and reliable (and you get 3 years without having to fork out), maps have already been updated, heater controls are illuminated and physical buttons, swmbo and I both have our own profiles (they really work).
Overall, it feels a much more grown-up car that I'm not being a guinea-pig test pilot in.

And after 1300 miles, nothing has gone wrong.
Sorry Cupra, too many faults all at once.
Thanks for the update. Might venture to say it's not a fair comparison between hybrid tech vs non hybrid tech.

Did you have to fight much to reject the car?

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
Thanks for the update. Might venture to say it's not a fair comparison between hybrid tech vs non hybrid tech.

Did you have to fight much to reject the car?
I can say that the hybrid tech was not what was at fault with the Cupra. It was centred around the Infotainment and auxiliary systems that caused the problems. The Merc has a hybrid option if you wanted to make a more direct comparison to drive types but none were available to purchase (new) when I needed a car.

I was advised by the dealership to write/email Cupra in the first instance, laying out my claim. As the car was at the dealers waiting for repair, Cupra verified my claim with dealer regarding the history of faults and agreement was reached. The only negotiation was over the financials beyond clearing the VWFS agreement. The process is not swift however, expect two months minimum, during which time you must maintain PCP payments.

Jul 5, 2022
I can say that the hybrid tech was not what was at fault with the Cupra. It was centred around the Infotainment and auxiliary systems that caused the problems. The Merc has a hybrid option if you wanted to make a more direct comparison to drive types but none were available to purchase (new) when I needed a car.

I was advised by the dealership to write/email Cupra in the first instance, laying out my claim. As the car was at the dealers waiting for repair, Cupra verified my claim with dealer regarding the history of faults and agreement was reached. The only negotiation was over the financials beyond clearing the VWFS agreement. The process is not swift however, expect two months minimum, during which time you must maintain PCP payments.
I was thinking that the Infotainment and auxiliary systems were more complex in the Hybrid models.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.