Dash cam advice

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
I've been umming and ahhing whether to get a dash cam. Before the pandemic, I regularly commuted on the motorway, so back then I thought a dash cam would be a given as I was on the road all the time. Even when we're allowed back into the office, we won't need to be there as much, so my mileage will be reduced drastically. Would you say a dash cam would still be worth considering? I've been considering getting the Nextbase 522GW and rear cam bundle fitted by Halfords. I'd be grateful to hear anyone's experiences with this dash cam. I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences where they didn't have a dash cam but wish they had one, and also where an incident has occurred and they were glad to have a dash cam.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I wish I had put a dash cam in the step daughters car as she is young and inexperienced she got the blame for a accident she says was not her fault and from what the other driver said to us at the time did not sound or look quite right as for the position off his car as it was over the white line and he said he tried to get out off her way by going over the Kurb as she was on the wrong side off the road

A friend who had passed his test for a year had one in his car and it was after midnight on his way home a woman jumped the red light and crashed into him was trying to make he jumped the light and crashed into her he was smart about it and when the police turned up he gave his side and then the woman gave her side and the copper came back over to him and said did you jump the red light he said no I have the dash cam footage if you will take it and look at it to see I’m correct in what I’m saying the other copper even said it looks like it’s your fault as your inexperienced and young so more likely to off jumped the light he just said to the copper view the dash cam footage if you don’t believe me

Turned he was correct and did not jump the red light but she did and said if no cam was fitted he would have most likely off got the blame for the crash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sly870

Jan 10, 2021
I've been umming and ahhing whether to get a dash cam. Before the pandemic, I regularly commuted on the motorway, so back then I thought a dash cam would be a given as I was on the road all the time. Even when we're allowed back into the office, we won't need to be there as much, so my mileage will be reduced drastically. Would you say a dash cam would still be worth considering? I've been considering getting the Nextbase 522GW and rear cam bundle fitted by Halfords. I'd be grateful to hear anyone's experiences with this dash cam. I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences where they didn't have a dash cam but wish they had one, and also where an incident has occurred and they were glad to have a dash cam.

Heya bud,
I was umming and ahhing for a while as well until, shortly after xmas, went to my local Curry's, bought a Nextbase 322GW (£90), ran the cigarette lighter cables myself and put the dashcam up in the Mrs car, already caught 2 people driving like "twats".

Next up for me is to buy another Nextbase, probably another 322GW and stick it in my car and then put a rear camera on each car (which btw, it shows the rear view on the dashcam display which is quite handy). I have already requested the correct fuzes from Nextbase to hardwire both camera's in.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
As above. I have the 512GW and been really pleased with it. The only thing I would say that I've found a downer in winter (and not the cameras fault) but I positioned it behind the mirror to hide it from thieves. Not sure on the MK3, but on the MK2 the dashcam sits behind a diamond shape area the wipers miss. So just be aware of that when it's being positioned as if it's been raining heavily it's harder to make out plates.

But... I did use the threat of having it to win an insurance claim that wasn't my fault. As soon as the driver realised I had a dashcam, he admitted fault. If you get the fuse piggy back kit, they aren't that hard to work the lining / trim to fit even without removing panels. Like I did here, I just got a plastic tool and moved the plastic trim aside rather than removing it:

Reactions: Syphon

Sly870

Jan 10, 2021
As above. I have the 512GW and been really pleased with it. The only thing I would say that I've found a downer in winter (and not the cameras fault) but I positioned it behind the mirror to hide it from thieves. Not sure on the MK3, but on the MK2 the dashcam sits behind a diamond shape area the wipers miss. So just be aware of that when it's being positioned as if it's been raining heavily it's harder to make out plates.

But... I did use the threat of having it to win an insurance claim that wasn't my fault. As soon as the driver realised I had a dashcam, he admitted fault. If you get the fuse piggy back kit, they aren't that hard to work the lining / trim to fit even without removing panels. Like I did here, I just got a plastic tool and moved the plastic trim aside rather than removing it:

Cheers bud! Will fit them in my 2 x Fords (please, no laughing, send money :p ) and my Seat when I get it, free's up the 12v socket.

Reactions: Legojon

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
I have the Nextbase 312GW (I think), bought just after they released the 322/522 (newer ones). I would definitely recommend having one. You should be able to get a 322 & decent SD card for £100 or less. Fortunately, we haven't had any near misses, moreso random crap driving and road rage incidents. But if you didn't have one and needed it, you'd regret it!

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
I had the 412 in my FR, but i went with the Blackvue DR750 for my cupra. The unit is so small that it is not noticible unlike the nextbase. it is screenless - i don't need the screen as i don't replay at all. in my opinion the screen is a bit of a gimmick and adds no value. but that my opinion.

It took some great videos on the trackday.

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
I have the 522 GW and the separate rear one, wiring in is easy for the front have used the hardwire kit. Front barely visible behind the mirror with a top tint fitted on screen, rear a little more tricky as wire goes right through the car and be careful as the rear can affect the DAB radio signal.

Fit and forget with the occasional re format of the SD card they recommend. Also get a good quality SD card as the cheaper are less reliable.

Reactions: Mike the_cupra

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I've got a nextbase front facing only in my car. A mate works for Halfords so he fitted it so all the wires are hidden.
It's really good.
A crapper in a Posh bmw cut in front of me on his phone and drove through a red light at a pedestrian crossing and swerved around the two women who were crossing!
I sent footage to the rozzers got him done.

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
My partner had a near miss the other night in her car, so I've just ordered a second Nextbase 412GW. Currently on eBay you can get "refurbished" ones for £59.99, which is a good deal. The newer models also record in 1440p/1080p 60fps so I don't think you lose much with the older gen.

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I've got one for my motorbike.
Trouble is if I ever need it I'm probably in a world of ****!

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
I thought to resurrect this thread than to start a new one. Halfords have the 522GW front & rear bundle on offer for £179 (or £234 fitted), which I'm tempted to go for. What are people's experiences with this dash cam?

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
Go for it fit it and forget it that ain't a bad price for the package and as the 622 is out the 522 is dropping a little, I don't review download the footage much but when I have looks good enough quality, just let it do its work till I need it.

I have hardwired and leave it in permanently and on a permanent feed with the battery protector as the internal cam battery does not last long at all with a rear also fitted as its running both so for parking knocks will be flat before it records anything.

I hear so many cases when a dash cam provides the final evidence needed to assist in a claim, but hoping we all never need it, it's an insurance policy.

Only note I have as said before occasional re format of the SD card if it pops up on the screen and I have a genuine NextBase SD card.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.