Debating a V5 Tolly

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Not wanting to be seen as 'normal' and get a leon i'm thinking of the slightly less common Toledo. Specifically a 51 plate 2.3 V5 170bhp

The one i've seen is loaded with toys and is well cared for and low milage.

Can any Tolly owners give me some advice on the car? I'm aware that its not going to be economical but can you give me an idea of what to expect on what kind of journey and any mechanical issue you've had with yours?

I really know sod all about the V5 so need filling in.

Cheers!!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
the only thing you need to know is they all came better specced than any Leon, and the V5 engine sounds excellent on full tilt.

nak

May 13, 2006
Check carpets, if damp or wet, door seal might need replacing, check boot for opening from boot catch, check remote locking is all working and key operates properly in door locks, the v5 is a robust engine you should have no probs, remember it is chain driven, it is a Gem of a car, the only problem at the moment is TAX brackets will be going up and if your car is 2001 onwards with a bigger engine, your going to be stung, KEWE (forum member)has got more information on this, hopefully he'll see this post and advise you on that.

StuPDi

old guy
Mar 30, 2007
Gillingham Kent
i wanted a tolly originally, but due to mileage had to have a diesel.
couldn't find a 150TDi sport anywhere, so went for an Audi instead.

should be a few to choose from in V5 format, hope you find a good one :)

Stu

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Found a good one right near me with the all important boot spoiler also, tax if the government get their wicked way will be £300. £100 more than the cordy.

Its a 51 reg with 64k on the clock and FDSH, does this mean the chain needs changing like a cambelt? Never had a dealing with a chain engine. I'm going to go and have a look as its a really good looking high specced car, only major concerns are reliability (i'm getting old and need security lol) and fuel economy ( can't be below 35mpg on my 40 mile commute to work driving sensibly).

I think i've had the reliablity question answered :D

I'll probably know when i see it, i'm just after a reliable car and will be taking out a small loan when i buy it, just don't want to be paying a loan and repair bills.

Thanks for the advice on the door seal i remember seeing that all over the leon section but it had slipped my mind.

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
The original timing chain will last longer than the car ultimately, I don't think I've heard of a chain failing under normal use

For everything non-engine related check out the Leon common faults threads (except maybe anything about the tailgate lock) :p

Nice motor the V5... just a shame about the tax hike if it's going to be affected

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Hi Mate,

The one you're looking at sounds about the same as mine. Mines is 51 plate with 47K and I've had it about 9 months now. It's an absolute dream to drive, very smooth and refined. Only problem I had so far was one of my coil packs going pop and there's 5 of them on these beasties. Cost me about £230 to replace the lot at the stealers. My work journey consists of 35 mile a day round trip with about 1/3 town and 2/3 motorway. I stuggle to see much above 28mpg on the computer without really booting it, so if you're worried about fuel consumption may be better looking elsewhere. I think my ZS 180 2.5 V6 was more economical :confused:

Usual things to check are already mentioned by nak and the chain only starts getting checked from about 60K onwards but shouldn't need replaced for a long time. Just have a listen and make sure it doesn't sound rattly.

All in all a fabulous car and you get loads for your money.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
First off, I love the way the V5 drives. It does not have the all out pace of a cupra but the torquey pull is very refined and it sounds and feels wonderful. A remap will give it an extra 15-20 bhp - not huge, but it gives it that little extra. It is a cruiser and a fast A road car rather than a beat you off the lights or tight twisties kind of machine. Once rolling the low down torque in both 2nd and 3rd is surprising. The spec list is a very big plus. It has all the kit you would wish for and it makes choosing a replacement very difficult.

Common faults include MAF failure, brake switch faults, fan fuse issues and door seal leaks. I've had the first three of these although none of them were devastatingly expensive except the fan fuse going caused some overheating which did cause a couple of other problems. The engine itself is bullet-proof. I haven't heard of a chain failure either, although they should be inspected at major services after 60k I believe. The boot is huge for a car of it's size although the practicality of what can be carried is hampered by it not being a hatch. There is not a lot of leg room in the back if front seat passengers need their seats back.

Economy is an issue. It is this type of car that is really suffering on the used market now with fuel, insurance and tax costs. I am getting less than 25 mpg but I do do the vast majority of my driving in stop-start London traffic. A bit of open road and it vastly improves. For the above reasons you can afford to be very choosy. You can pick up very decent examples for very little money. You are actually getting a very serious amount of kit for your money. Factor in the low cost of buying the car against the daily running costs and make your choice!

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
I think the 1999 T V5 150 is a great car. I've had mine for almost 6 years now. I'm not going to get rid of it because, its just not really worth anything these days. It has got a good spec including full Black leather on mine! I've had a couple of small problems with it; Maf, Brake Light Switch (4 of them - Only £8 each to replace), Reverse Light Switch, Aux Water Pump (£125 and 30 min's to replace). Other than that it has all been good apart from my upper engine mounts are on the way out. Should be easy to replace but they are expensive at around £100 each. The car has done 130k miles now and still trucks on. I drive down to Spain fairly often and have no 2nd thoughts about jumping in it and doing a 2000 mile round trip. As for fuel, I generally get around 30mpg and that is fairly mixed up with towns and country driving. If I go into a large town, then it takes a knocking. The worse I've had is in Cadaques (N. Spain) where I got 19mpg! The best was on the motorway from Orleans to Toulousse where I got 37mpg between fill ups and almost hit 400 miles on a tank. I sometimes think about a replacement, but can't seem to find anything with the build quality and similar kit. I've looked at Audi A4's, but finding one with E.Seats, Leather, Folding Mirrors etc is hard without spending silly money.

Verdict. Lot of car for the money and it will last forever. Its an Audi A3 on the inside, A Golf underneather and Spanish flare on top!

peasoup

I've got a V5 150 and I just run up and down the M5 everyday I had 39.7mpg last week (driving like an old man) generally I get around 36-38mpg but I really wouldn't want to use it for town driving.
That being said I love driving it and for the price I doubt you'll find a car with as many toys, shame petrol price is nailing me (and everyone else).

StuC

F1 Smart?
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
I probably have one of the higher milage ones on here (119K) and apart from a window regulator and a coil pack go, i haven't had any real problems.
My suspension bushes are just about ready to be replaced and I am not sure how much longer my timing chain will hold out! :(

Driving on my 40 mile round trip through the twisties i am getting about 33mpg.

It is a great 'value for money' car, although in the current climate i am not sure i would buy another one.

Colin C

Apr 1, 2003
Southampton
Visit site
Paul I have just made a similar move from a Cordie 1.6 SX to a 51 plate 170bhp V5. I was actually after a 1.9 tdi Leon but they are so expensive for the age / mileage / spec against the Toledo V5. I couldn't justify the extra expence to save £100 a year on road tax and I don't do enough mileage to benifit the extra mileage against the extra price of diesel now either.

Just make sure all the toys work when you go and look at it and check the engine sump for damage. Compared with the SX you will think your in a Rolls Royce.

Once my Cordie is sold the V5 will be on the road and the modding can commence:D

YHPM

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Thanks so much for the input guys, i appreciate it. I'm going to see it on saturday and try and dent the £3000 asking price. We have an ibiza for round town shopping trips so that doesn't bother me as its not too terrible at that fuel wise.

The cordy which i realise is 300cc less than the toledo, however its got twice the milage, is regularly getting 40mpg on my work drive (i admit to driving like a granny to do it) so i would hope the toledo shouldn't be too much less driving similarly.

Didn't realise these used the coil pack system like the 1.8's so thanks for that, not bothered about light switches too much. I've got some weighing up to do now, i love the cordy to pieces but at the same time i'd like a change to a more relaxed cruiser rather than a manic rev climber.

I've also been considering diesels but the one i can realistically afford would be a 110bhp, which i doubt would have enough power for me and comes with sod all compared to the V5.

Again thanks for the input it is really appreciated!

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Very nice car, want it but need to shift the cordy first so if anyones after one give me a nudge.

V5 is smooth rather that fast, all the trouble areas seemed fine, little dissapointed at the boot size and finally see what everyone means about the boot opening!

One thing i couldnt find a timing chain but i found a belt on the left hand side of the engine as i looked at it from the front is this the aux belt? and is the timing chain hidden elsewhere?

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Mork is correct. The timing chain isn't visible. It is still worth checking the axillary drive belt for condition. Mine snapped after the air con compressor threw a wobbly and I ended up needing a new air con unit. An expensive part but Seat were able to supply an aftermarket compressor which cost much less than the original.

Certainly know what you mean about the boot opening but I'm surprised that you were disappointed at the boot size. I think it's huge for the size of car. I would have been happy to sacrifice a bit of boot size for more rear leg room.

StuC

F1 Smart?
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
Very nice car, want it but need to shift the cordy first so if anyones after one give me a nudge.

V5 is smooth rather that fast, all the trouble areas seemed fine, little dissapointed at the boot size and finally see what everyone means about the boot opening!

One thing i couldnt find a timing chain but i found a belt on the left hand side of the engine as i looked at it from the front is this the aux belt? and is the timing chain hidden elsewhere?

All that and nothing about the noise she makes... you obviously weren't trying hard enough! :p:lol: