Delivery dent repair advice

NBSmith78

Sep 20, 2004
Cambridge
Hi all,

I picked up our new ST FR a few weeks ago and, during the delivery handover, I noticed a small dent on the tailgate. I pointed it out to the dealer who was fine about it, and agreed to send their dent guy out to repair it. Here's a picture but it's quite hard to make out in a photo.

15474664016_0916462c0e_o.jpg

After a few weeks delay due to holidays and other commitments, the dent guy came today and concluded that he couldn't repair it because the dent is on a double-skinned section of bodywork, where the light aperture is reinforced. So the only option for a repair would be a light skin of filler followed by a respray. I plan to ask the dealer to do this, but am I at risk of further problems from:
  • Poor blending of paintwork
  • Colour match problems (Technic Grey)
  • Squeaks and rattles after reassembly (does anything need to be taken apart for this type of job?)

Is there anything I should watch out for? Is this opening a can of worms or will it be a straightforward bit of bodywork repair? I haven't ever needed to get this type of thing done before so any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
That's bad luck, not good. Personally I'd ask a few local body shops for some opinions, you may find someone who can do some magic on it. Id also avoid paint on such a new car mind, and probably live with it and ask the dealer for some good will, free service or something. Last thing you want is to have a bad paint job on a new car...

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
My experience is that repairs are now invisible in the hands of a competent technician. Endurance is great too so that colour matching remains for a long time

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Find a PDR place that can do glue pulling. They can pull the dent out without needing access behind the panel.

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
You'd need new badges, and the tailgate fully stripping.

Wouldn't worry about colour as your no where near any edges and the lung breaks the section up.

It's wether it annoys you enough to want to paint a new car.

As for glue pulling. It may work but thatvsections quite strong due to its shape.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Take it back to dealer, tell them to fix it.that way It'll still be covered by warranty. It's their problem not yours so why should you do anything? You could always reject the vehicle.....

Last edited:

Toon

drives a Leon 1.8DSG
Mar 25, 2014
South East
Take it back to dealer, tell them to fix it.that way It'll still be covered by warranty. It's their problem not yours so why should you do anything? You could always reject the vehicle.....

Agreed, take it back but you cant just reject the vehicle, the supplier of the vehicle has rights as well as the consumer under the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
I'd also hold out for a new tailgate. I wouldn't want a 3rd party filling and spraying a new car. You will ALWAYS be looking at it and seeing discolourations, ripples, etc.
It's their problem....they should take ownership.

Itspaul

Jun 15, 2014
Having been in the trade I'm surprised they even contemplated handing The car over with damage and as a customer I would not have accepted it but insisted they lent me a car till it was repaired

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
I can't help but lol at some of the people on here

Blending in the colour in that small area and 're lacquering the full tailgate will mean a lot less chance of colour missmatch than a full tailgate, that's for sure.

Plain and simple is they won't give a new tailgate.

More so we've worked on numerous UN registered cars for dealers so just because there new doesn't mean that haven't been painted.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
As said, that little dent would probably be filled and painted due to where it is and would be difficult to pull or knock out.
If it was my BRAND NEW car, then I would want a new hatch or I would give the car back.

If you bought a phone and it had a small crack in the screen, then it would go straight back for replacement.
New cars cost a fair chunk more and should be received in mint condition.

Anyway, I hope they replace rather than repair it for you :)

RPJS

Jul 29, 2014
Dont worry. Mine came with one too.. They repair it and polished the surrounding area and it is fine.. A good profissional Will do it easelly..

NBSmith78

Sep 20, 2004
Cambridge
Cheers everyone for the advice - much appreciated! I was away last week - hence no replies from me until now.

I'm going to speak with the dealer again this week, to sort something out. I'll post back here when I have more news.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
If you pointed this out to the dealer at the time then book the car in with them and get them to sort it out.

IMO this should be in no way your responsibility to arrange repair regardless of who picks up the final bill.

NBSmith78

Sep 20, 2004
Cambridge
A quick update to close the loop:

The dent isn't gone completely but has been repaired to a level I'm OK to live with (this was done on the first dent repair callout) - certainly looks better than in the photos I posted, and is only noticeable if you look hard for it. Rather than go for a fill and spray I opted to negotiate compensation with the dealer.

Last edited: