Differences between 25mm and 28mm ARB on a LCR

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
What sort of differences do you get between the 2 sizes and is one better than the other or do they both have there plus points

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
I have 25mm on front and 28mm on back, this is what Ruddemister recommended as he found it to be the best setup...?

Not sure about the differences but might be worth PM'ing him? They are definitely worth the cash.... :D

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I have H&R's all round and i believe there both 25mm on the first setting (first bolt hole), as i was advised anything more would be a bit over kill for every day use. I have yet to try 28mm's but i know the 25's are the muts nutz! To be honest I think you would lose the 3mm difference depending how you set the coilovers etc up and what make you used. Id stick to whats recommended on that setup

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I think basically you will be happy with which ever ones you get. AS there all pretty much the same, nuespeed ones IMHO look better being red.

One think to point out some say you have to have an after market zorst to fit them. Im sure the nuespeed ones go straight on tho?

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
i am getting a BF zorst next year once my pennies have mounted up, I am not getting coilovers as i cant afford to lower the car due to the amount of spped bumps around my area, so my plans are to get the following;

Koni FSD's
Neuspeed ARB front 25mm
Neuspeed ARB rear 28mm
Audi S3 Upper strut brace

I think this will improve handling a great deal but without lowering the car, although i would like to lower i cant risk it

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
I think basically you will be happy with which ever ones you get. AS there all pretty much the same, nuespeed ones IMHO look better being red.

One think to point out some say you have to have an after market zorst to fit them. Im sure the nuespeed ones go straight on tho?

Yes had no issues with my Neuspeed although it does make the car more creeky as it stiffens up everything! :) Not that its a problem if you drive it properly all you will hear is the engine... :)

Ben I am getting Koni's and Eibach springs at the end of October so I will let you know how the FSD's are... heard rave reviews! Can't wait to get them on. With all that lot you will be sweet... I have the strut brace and ARB's at the moment and can't fault the setup... still a little understeery but no surprise!

Last edited:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Obviously, the 28mm is stiffer than the 25mm (or is that too obvious?) although, from memory, the stiffness is related to the cross sectional area of the bar, so it's not a linear increase.

The 25mm Eibach bar I had on was definitely stiffer than the Neuspeed I have on there now, to the extent where I would get significant understeer and snap oversteer in the right (or wrong, depending on your view) conditions. Plus, the Eibach hit the back box.

The Neuspeed bar is adjustable, mines on the middle setting (25mm ARB on standard +80,000 miles suspension) I've never been able to find out the relationship between, say, the 28mm on softest setting and 25mm on stiffest. But I can tell you I'm more than happy with the 25mm on mine - it's difficult to describe, but it's like it's not there, but you can tell that it is. The tail doesn't wag and there is significantly more grip.

Not sure if the 28mm is "better" or not, but I'm happy with mine, especially as it's a road car.

Edit: Oh, and no extra creaking on mine :confused:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
i am getting a BF zorst next year once my pennies have mounted up, I am not getting coilovers as i cant afford to lower the car due to the amount of spped bumps around my area, so my plans are to get the following;

Koni FSD's
Neuspeed ARB front 25mm
Neuspeed ARB rear 28mm
Audi S3 Upper strut brace

I think this will improve handling a great deal but without lowering the car, although i would like to lower i cant risk it

Even lowered about 20mm on coilovers I had less scraping than the OE setup, strange but true.....

The above set-up will be excellent it's what I had on my LCR but with Bilstein PSS coilovers in lieu of Koni FSD's

I drove for about 30,000miles with this set up and found it excellent

Last edited:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I have 22mm on the front and the 25mm on the rear!

There is just the right amount of bodyroll offering lots of grip and easy control when you run out of it!

For everyday use i can't fault my setup!

But your setup is affected by the Peloquin / Quaife ATB (delete as applicable), when I drove your car it made a huge difference having the diff.......IIRC your car and mine felt very different when we had that blat around Newport

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
I thought about the Diff but decided it is to much money for 3-4 track days a year and the fact that general road use the LCR tramlines a lot anyway without an ATB....

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
The Octy had 40mm springs i think. I cant really compare the cars as ive never driven a stock one but IMHO the ride was out of this world