Do i have an idle problem?

stepp

Oct 14, 2019
Guys

I've had my 1.4 150 act around 6 months now. Lately i've noticed that sometimes when at idle after a drive it will idle at say 700rpm but it will suddenly jump up to approx 1000rpm.

Can't say how long its been doing this for as i've never really looked for it until a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know if its me but i can also feel the engine when its idle at 700rpm, like a very very slight vibration. I'm not sure if this is normal or im just being paranoid now.

Is it normal for the idle to jump like that at all? It drives fine, no problems whatsoever.

Thanks

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Guys

I've had my 1.4 150 act around 6 months now. Lately i've noticed that sometimes when at idle after a drive it will idle at say 700rpm but it will suddenly jump up to approx 1000rpm.

Can't say how long its been doing this for as i've never really looked for it until a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know if its me but i can also feel the engine when its idle at 700rpm, like a very very slight vibration. I'm not sure if this is normal or im just being paranoid now.

Is it normal for the idle to jump like that at all? It drives fine, no problems whatsoever.

Thanks
I suspect it’s the ACT kicking in. So when the car idles at 700rpm, all cylinders are active. But when it rises to 1000rpm, ACT has shutdown a cylinder or two and the revs naturally rise as a result.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I suspect it’s the ACT kicking in. So when the car idles at 700rpm, all cylinders are active. But when it rises to 1000rpm, ACT has shutdown a cylinder or two and the revs naturally rise as a result.
ACT doesn’t kick in at idle

you have to be doing certain rpm’s at a certain speed for it to kick in.

Reactions: Norbert

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Usually when idle rises it’s when there is load on the engine, possibly due to a/c kicking in and kicking out

stepp

Oct 14, 2019
Thanks guys will keep an eye on it, doesn't do it all the time but definitely jumps from 700 to approx 950 at times.

Ogi

Jul 13, 2018
Serbia
Hello,

I have a very similar situation.

I've started to pay attention to idle revs due to some vibrations that suddenly started to happen on my car and i saw that either cold or hot engine, sometimes while idle on traffic light, revs rise from usual ~650 to ~950 . When i press the gas pedal even a little bit or move the car and stop again, they get back to ~650.

Is this normal ?

Leon 2017. 1.2TSI 110HP.

Last edited:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
I find the demand from the HVAC system affects the idle speed.

Switching it off, idle speed comes down - asking for warm air on a cold morning the idle speed goes up.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members