Does anyone recommend an Altea

V5TDi

HI

I'm thinking about getting a 2.0 FSI Altea, but there are good and bad stories on the forum. I was just wondering what the general feeling is. Any comments would be appreciated.

I know all about the dealers though - after looking around we don't really like the look of anything else on the market in the class, so I'll have to be prepared to travel - although there is a brand new one in Huddersfield to try.

Cheers

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
My choice would be to pay extra for the 2.0TDi but then again I am biased. You are in the lucky position like myself of being relatively close to Ted Johnsons in Barnsley which is by far the best dealers in Yorkshire so give them a call. The new dealers in Huddersfield I suppose is an unknown quantity yet but can't knock them until you have tried them so give them a call also.

If you would like a ride in mine to experience the 2.0TDi then give me a PM.

akg

Aug 2, 2003
Derby
Visit site
I can recommend the TDi.

I took delivery of an Altea 2.0TDi Sport on Saturday to replace my Leon Cupra R and can say I am extremely happy with my new car. The only obvious downside is the lack of power in low gears compared to the LCR, which was going to be obvious anyway.

The reason for the change was down to company car tax, getting the Altea is saving my £hundreds a month!

Pro's. (so far)

Price
Running costs (low emissions compared to LCR).
Looks great with 18" wheels.
Ride is very comfortable, even with 18" rims and 225/45 tyres.
Seats are extremely comfortable compared to standard seats in the LCR.
Handling is good around bends.
Feel of the steering wheel.
Room in the back for the child seat + easier access when inserting the child!

Cons. (so far)

Engine noise. It's a diesel, say no more.

Overall.

It's so nice to drive I don't really miss the LCR......until some numpty starts playing silly buggers on the A50 and I just don't have that 'drop it a gear and leave them' option anymore.

Oh well.

Tell

Staff member
Well I'm happy with my 2.0 TDI Sport DSG. I don't find the engine noisy, a little growl is all you get when you accelerate fast which is nice to hear. Other than that you don't get any special noise intrusion, that's petrol head duff talk.

The 2.0 TDI does deliver 140 BHP, the 1.9, 105 BHP. The FR 170. Now given that the 2.0 TDI are suppose to be under rated I don't feel that the odd 30 BHP would make that much difference... mine shifts as it is... although I might get a burning need to chip it one day... dunno.

newbi

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
iv had my 1.9 Ref Sport for 6 weeks now and i am very pleased with it.
its just what i need and for sensible driving the 1.9Tdi is well up to the job, it gets you out of trouble when i need it to is very good on fuel and if it was for only a few options it would be the perfect car.

if you are use too a little more go i would opt for the 2.0Tdi but im gona get mine chipped later this month when Revo have a map ready for me which should be good for around the 150Bhp mark and with the money iv saved on the 2.0Tdi model i think its a bargain especialy when it only cost me £11350 in the xmas sales.

which paid for the stereo system.

Oh and for those people who dont like the Seat Altea and obviously dont own one please stick to your own vehicle make forum and let the real owners of the Seat Altea speak out.

theirs no need for a negative comment if you dont own one yourself!

loadswine

loadswine
newbi said:
Oh and for those people who dont like the Seat Altea and obviously dont own one please stick to your own vehicle make forum and let the real owners of the Seat Altea speak out.

I couldn't agree more. Some people just don't understand the Altea and what it's supposed to do, let them speak about vehicle they own and not a car they have had for a few hours.
The Altea for me fits the bill for a more interesting mpv type car. I like having tons of room for me and my passengers. I love the way it goes and handles.
I like the fact that not many people have got one. Picasso and scenics everywhere.
Don't expect Scenic levels of practicality though, its not quite as versatile , more than compensated by the enjoyable drive and styling. I have had an ugly car that was very practical,- Fiat Multipla- ,but that is not in the same league for driving pleasure.
Easy to drive too, I've got the TDi sport with DSG and tuning box. Really takes the sting out of diving in heavy traffic and the smooothness of the drivetrain is ace.

Go for as long a test drive a you can blag, I reckon youll want one.
Of course I'm biased!:)

WatchHill

Twonk
Mar 10, 2004
Cumberland
www.gunculture.net
newbi said:

Get bent.

The question was "does anyone recommend an Altea" not "altea owners all chime in with how great they are".
Having driven one it confirms to me that there is no point in this class of vehicle other than to declare that you want an MPV. There's no spatial benifit over a standard saloon even though it feels a little different.

Distant Sun

Contains mild peril
Sep 9, 2005
Belfast
I'll speak up for the petrol owners (there doesn't seem to be too many of us on here):rolleyes:
We've had a 2.0FSi Sport for five months now and we love it. Though I've seen alot of negative comments about the 2.0FSi in Audis, I find it a really great engine that pulls well, and certainly isn't breathless like some say. The handling of the Altea with the Sport suspension is great and the ride isn't uncomfortable even with the 17" alloys fitted.
We went for the Altea because of the new arrival to the family, and putting her into the back in her car seat is much easier with the added headroom compared to my Leon.

The only negative so far is that the wife likes it so much I don't get to drive it:cry:

Tell

Staff member
WatchHill said:
Get bent.

The question was "does anyone recommend an Altea" not "altea owners all chime in with how great they are".
Having driven one it confirms to me that there is no point in this class of vehicle other than to declare that you want an MPV. There's no spatial benifit over a standard saloon even though it feels a little different.

Err not if you get terrible backache as I do, and I've always had it, sitting in low saloon cars induces backache, you would not sit in a lounge chair and use a PC, yet people are misguided enough to think that sitting very close to the floor for hours on end is comfortable ie driving, it isn't and that is another motoring correspondent crap message that they put out.

Sitting in a normal position as you do in MPVs and the like provides much more comfort and you arrive at the other end being able to stand up, rather than being bent double in pain.

akg

Aug 2, 2003
Derby
Visit site
Distant Sun said:
I'll speak up for the petrol owners (there doesn't seem to be too many of us on here):rolleyes:
We've had a 2.0FSi Sport for five months now and we love it. Though I've seen alot of negative comments about the 2.0FSi in Audis, I find it a really great engine that pulls well, and certainly isn't breathless like some say. The handling of the Altea with the Sport suspension is great and the ride isn't uncomfortable even with the 17" alloys fitted.
We went for the Altea because of the new arrival to the family, and putting her into the back in her car seat is much easier with the added headroom compared to my Leon.

The only negative so far is that the wife likes it so much I don't get to drive it:cry:

The exact same reasons I changed from a Leon, the access to the rear seats with a small child is so much easier. I wanted something that looks good, was kinder to my tax code and was easier to get my little boy in and out of. I didn't want a full blown people carrier and am extremely happy with my Altea.

loadswine

loadswine
WatchHill said:
Get bent.

Oh , how informed!
With that sort of comment, a Moderator should step in.
I thought the forums were supposed to be non abusive.
Incorrect and invalid argument anyway.
Thank goodness there is some sensible and balanced comment on the forum by the majority of people.

WatchHill

Twonk
Mar 10, 2004
Cumberland
www.gunculture.net
Whatever.:rolleyes:

I refer you to my original post in the thread which also stated
Disclaimer:
Your opinion may vary!

Now I posted my opinion on the vehicle - as requested by the thread originator, and yet my opinion is declared invalid because some people don't agree with it.

How informed is that?

loadswine

loadswine
For a start there is a spatial benefit, more legroom, headroom and luggage space.
Better seating position too.
If you want to make an argument for or against there should be some fact to back it up.
Fair enough, you don't like it, that's obvious.
I'm more than happy to let individuals decide for themselves.
Most individuals on here agree with me, I think, but you are entitled to your opinion.

WatchHill

Twonk
Mar 10, 2004
Cumberland
www.gunculture.net
loadswine said:
you are entitled to your opinion.

Why thank you, most gracious of you. (I'm only being slightly sarcastic)
Here's another opinion of mine then, the Altea has no place whatsoever in the line up of a marque which wishes to place itself in the sporty section of the market. It should perhaps have been a Skoda, but certainly not a Seat. I am perplexed as to why this model was ever made.

The opinion of an ex-Altea owner can be found here
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=857783&postcount=1

Milk no sugars please Distant Sun, I'll bring the choccy biccies.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.