Does the FR TDI MK3 suffer from the same DPF issues as the MK2?

b8er1234

Aug 29, 2012
Kent
Hey,

As per the title does the FR TDI MK3 suffer from the same DPF issues as the MK2?

Also are there any other known common issues?

Cheers

abulafia

Aug 5, 2016
Greece
Almost 50k (km) and no problem with the DPF whatsoever (yet). I use the car on a daily 5min commute and the temps are high here, so it's taking a beating, but still haven't had any problems. Of course, from time to time, I try as much as possible to drive it for longer stretches to allow it to regen naturally.

ActionScript

Mar 10, 2016
No issues for me on the DPF, with a 26 mile commute to work which involves town driving and motorways. Even on the weekends when I'm just around town it's been fine, the odd occasion when I turn the car off and the fans still going, but that's nothing to be concerned about.

From what I've seen if the car is warmed up and you're going along at a reasonable speed or you hit a dual carriageway/motorway for a short period of time you'll be fine.

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
I've had my MK3 184 FR for 18 mouths and the DPF light has come on twice,i think that was i had not been any where in it for a few weeks and the wife had been using it for work which is a 10 min drive.If you are going to do alot of short trips i think you will need to go for a blast every other weekend,that's what I do and its not come on.

b8er1234

Aug 29, 2012
Kent
Thanks for the replies. I had my mk2 go into limp mode because of the DPF, dont fancy that again so would probably look at getting it removed. Are there any links to other threads on here with peoples experiences of having the dpf removed from a mk3?

abulafia

Aug 5, 2016
Greece
Thanks for the replies. I had my mk2 go into limp mode because of the DPF, dont fancy that again so would probably look at getting it removed. Are there any links to other threads on here with peoples experiences of having the dpf removed from a mk3?

I have never heard of an MK3 go into limp home mode because of the DPF.

Yet.

You really shouldn't remove the DPF by the way.

b8er1234

Aug 29, 2012
Kent
I have never heard of an MK3 go into limp home mode because of the DPF.

Yet.

You really shouldn't remove the DPF by the way.

Any reason why it shouldnt be removed? I had it removed off the mk2 and its passed MOT fine for the past 4 years or so.

Or is there something different to the mk3 as to why it shouldnt be removed? I guess a remap with the DPF in still would be ok?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Any reason why it shouldnt be removed? I had it removed off the mk2 and its passed MOT fine for the past 4 years or so.

Or is there something different to the mk3 as to why it shouldnt be removed? I guess a remap with the DPF in still would be ok?

Because it's immoral. I don't want me or my children to breath in your nasty, diesel particulates. Cars with a DPF removed are estimated to chuck out 5 times the particle emissions.

abulafia

Aug 5, 2016
Greece
Because it's immoral. I don't want me or my children to breath in your nasty, diesel particulates. Cars with a DPF removed are estimated to chuck out 5 times the particle emissions.

That.

Unless you plan to retrofit an Ad-blue system.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.