Door lock issue

Dec 24, 2022
Hi everyone!

I was trying to find a thread about this issue, but it seemed oddly specific. I drive a 2003 Leon (1.4 16V), which has two faulty door locks.
When I unlock the car, the front passenger door remains locked. I have to get in, and use the central lock button on the driver-side door to unlock it. Once we get to driving, the car automatically locks itself, as I believe it should, but then, even after all doors are supposed to be unlocked again, the front passenger door remains locked. We have to pull the inside handle twice to unlock it.
This door requires a lot of force to close. We basically need to slam it shut, otherwise the latch won't engage, and the door will remain open (It won't be flush with the rest of the car)

What do you think could cause this problem?

(The second faulty door is the rear left side door. It can only be unlocked from the inside. After it was unlocked using the inside handle, it will keep working properly from both sides)

I feel like both of these are similar problems, but they still feel different in a way. I suspect it's the door lock module, but due to my lack of experience, I need some help to figure it out.
Thank you for taking the time to read this!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
99% chance its the rear door lock module. They fail all the time. Cheap ones from ebay seem to work just as well as the oem modules, for a fraction of the price.

The front one may not be aligned properly, either the lock or the whole door, or it may just be a sticky module too.

While you have the front door panel off to replace the lock, you may want to reseal the door if you haven't already done so,

Dec 24, 2022
99% chance its the rear door lock module. They fail all the time. Cheap ones from ebay seem to work just as well as the oem modules, for a fraction of the price.

The front one may not be aligned properly, either the lock or the whole door, or it may just be a sticky module too.

While you have the front door panel off to replace the lock, you may want to reseal the door if you haven't already done so,
Thank you! I had a strong suspicion that it's the lock, since the front door lock seemed weird, as far as I could see with the door open.
I will investigate the problem and report what I find.

Dec 24, 2022
Well, it's now completely stuck closed and doesn't even react to the key or the buttons inside the car.

I already know I'll have a field day with this one...

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Well, it's now completely stuck closed and doesn't even react to the key or the buttons inside the car.

I already know I'll have a field day with this one...
slap the side of the car a few times around the lock area, quite often that will get it to open again so that you can replace it. 99% of the time it is a broken solder joint inside the lock

Dec 24, 2022
slap the side of the car a few times around the lock area, quite often that will get it to open again so that you can replace it. 99% of the time it is a broken solder joint inside the lock
I'm afraid it may be more complicated since I found out from the previous owner that this door has a BMW lock inside it...I don't even want to know how or why...

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
I just bought a door lock for my LCR, embarrassing putting the key in to lock the driver door. Driving me mad

Dec 24, 2022
I just bought a door lock for my LCR, embarrassing putting the key in to lock the driver door. Driving me mad
I feel like I'll be doing it for a while. My remote stopped working as well, about a week after I gave it a new battery

Reactions: Jay20VT

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Fortunately the remotes are easy. Compared to the door lock modules that is.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
you know the same micro switch is on the bonnet catch and that takes all weather and caked in everything yet it there never an issue with it unlike the lock micro switch that's concealed..

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise