Drinks oil!

Apr 21, 2021
Hi guys, hoping someone can help me out!
I’ve had my SEAT LEON 1.2 TSI 14 plate for around 4 years now.
For the last 3 years (from what I can remember), I have to top my oil up nearly every 3 months whereas I have never had to do this before.
I’ve had it looked at numerous amounts of times and no one knows what the issue is. Is this normal? Any recommendations?

Apr 21, 2021
I haven’t taken note of the mileage in between. I will once I top it up this time. I usually buy 1litre bottle of oil and I use up to half a bottle each time I top up.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Hi guys, hoping someone can help me out!
I’ve had my SEAT LEON 1.2 TSI 14 plate for around 4 years now.
For the last 3 years (from what I can remember), I have to top my oil up nearly every 3 months whereas I have never had to do this before.
I’ve had it looked at numerous amounts of times and no one knows what the issue is. Is this normal? Any recommendations?
I have the same car and year, and I too top up 1 litre every 2-3 weeks.. But I do do about 900 - 1000 miles in that time.(approx 22k a year).

According to the manual its normal consumption is 0.5L/1000km....

On the bright side, its always getting clean new oil in there to mix with the other 3 litres...

On the down side this would be the only reason I wouldn't buy or recommend this car to anyone.... Shame really as I do like it...
6a603a14ea11679c7a2357ac60cefe1a.jpg

Apr 21, 2021
I have the same car and year, and I too top up 1 litre every 2-3 weeks.. But I do do about 900 - 1000 miles in that time.(approx 22k a year).

According to the manual its normal consumption is 0.5L/1000km....

On the bright side, its always getting clean new oil in there to mix with the other 3 litres...

On the down side this would be the only reason I wouldn't buy or recommend this car to anyone.... Shame really as I do like it...
6a603a14ea11679c7a2357ac60cefe1a.jpg
See I do approx 8000 miles a year so could understand from the use that you do but what I will do is check how many miles I do from now until the next time the light comes on but it isn’t that much!

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
When Audi were having issues with the 2.0TFSi engine (due to a bad batch of piston rings) they changed their advice on "normal" to 1l / 1000km. IMO 0.5l / 1000km is pretty poor, and a good engine should be around 0.5l / 10,000km.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
My old Civic Type R used to use probably 2l between 10k mile oil changes. High revving engine

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
When Audi were having issues with the 2.0TFSi engine (due to a bad batch of piston rings) they changed their advice on "normal" to 1l / 1000km. IMO 0.5l / 1000km is pretty poor, and a good engine should be around 0.5l / 10,000km.

That VW Group issue with the 2.0TFSI and 1.8TFSI built over a period in time, seems to have been a lot more than just piston rings, it was mainly the piston design and seemed to also demand that the con rods were changed along with the pistons, that is after stringing people out with some other preventative measures to try to reduce oil getting into the combustion areas, a lot like the design failures of the old 1.4 Twincharger engines, maybe curious that most of these engine issues only showed up when the engines were fitted "inline" ie "North<>South".

Which version of the 1.2TSI is it that is having trouble with using a lot of oil, the last of the chain cam driven ones or the first of the belt driven cam ones?

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
The Honda's and Nissan's I had before the Leon never needed topping up between services. Except for the last 12 months (Covid) the Leon was 0.5L for about 4,000 miles which I thought was acceptable (ignoring any 'get out' figure in the handbook).

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
We as an extended family, currently run a 2011 Audi S4, a 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI and a 2019 Cupra, none of them has ever needed oil adding between services.

Our previous cars were, a 2000 VW Passat 2.8 30V 4Motion, a 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V and a late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 16V - the Passat and the Polo loved lots of oil being added regularly - owning cars with that affliction came as a surprise but always meant I had plenty of empty 5 litre cans available for when disposing of used engine oil - every cloud has a bright lining - maybe!

Apr 21, 2021
Can be normal, if it has been consistant for the least 3 years it sounds like that is the amount your engine likes to use. How many miles are you doing in between top ups?

Cheers,

Guy
Hi!
So my light has come on again and I’ve only done 988 miles! That’s how many miles I do roughly each time before it comes back on again.

Apr 21, 2021
See I do approx 8000 miles a year so could understand from the use that you do but what I will do is check how many miles I do from now until the next time the light comes on but it isn’t that much!
So the oil light has come back on and I’ve only done 988 miles!
Everytime I go to get it checked at a mechanics they never find anything wrong with it.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Just to add my latest oil consumption is now only 500miles for every 1L... For me that's every 4 days...

I also have smoke on start up and when accelerating ( booting for over taking purposes) and power loss with slight engine vibration at same time....

I had the turbo looked at and was told it was OK. But there was oil in #4 Piston... So was told it could be valve stem seals or valves themselves. They didn't mention it possibly being Piston rings.....
Also no external oil leaks or oil in water.... I may get a second opinion and see if they will do a compression check......

Looks like I'm in for a pricy repair.... Or a new car.....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members