Driver’s door won’t open

angel_23

Sep 20, 2011
Swansea
Hi got a problem with the driver’s door. Sometimes it will open when you press against it, other times it will only open from inside. It seems to be the latch on the body has moved as when you go to close the door if you pull it towards you it opens easier (sometimes). Any ideas for a fix please?
Seat Leon FR 1.8 20vt petrol black magic 2005, last of facelifts

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Is it always the case that the door opens from the inside using the handle? If it is, it might be that the wire connector for the outside handle has come loose or isn't seated properly anymore.

I don't think you need to take the door skin off for this, although I might be wrong, but you will need a triple square socket - you might have one already, but they're easy to get hold of on eBay - an M8 one. Mine is M8 x 55mm, so there's a little bit of length on it.

There's a plastic cover on the inside of the driver's door, you can see it in this photo:

IMG_7728.JPG

Take this cover off, and that's where you'll find the triple square screw. Back it out a little - don't take it out completely - and that will enable you to slide out the lock from the handle. You might need to lever it out a little if it's not been taken out before - be careful not to damage the paint. What you should see when you get it out is on the side of the handle, some grooves, and a wire with a tab on the end that should be slotted in place.

If the problem is what I'm thinking it is, you'll just need to push that tab back into place and the door should open as normal. If it's not attached, or the wire seems damaged, you'll probably need a new locking mechanism, as I don't think you can buy the wire bit separately.

Hope this helps - most mk1 owners have been up close and personal with their doors at some point, so you should have plenty of other help if this isn't what's wrong with yours...!

Reactions: angel_23

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
If I remember correctly it’s a t20 screw and you won’t need to take the door card off
It’s just a case off turning the screw out a bit till you feel a little less resistance and pop the lock out then flick the black plastic tab thing out off the handle and move it back towards the handle a bit rebuild and try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Oh crap - yes. It's the triple square for the bolts holding the locking module in place. You'd think I'd notice that, given they're in my photo and everything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise