DRL's

leeds/lee

Oct 29, 2014
www.facebook.com
Apparently there are a few options you can have for the DRL's.

Currently my leon uses side lights for DRL's can i change this to the fog lights or not as there lane changing lights.

Sent from my iPhone 9 from a time machine

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Do you have the Bi-Xenon headlights on yours?

There's an option in VCDS to use fogs as DRLs but I'm not sure if this can be done for the cars that have dedicated DRLs as is the case with the Bi-Xenon headlights.

leeds/lee

Oct 29, 2014
www.facebook.com
Do you have the Bi-Xenon headlights on yours?

There's an option in VCDS to use fogs as DRLs but I'm not sure if this can be done for the cars that have dedicated DRLs as is the case with the Bi-Xenon headlights.

Yes i have the bi-xenon lights.

I know i can turn off the lane changing lights.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Best thing to do would be to get someone with VCDS to try it out. It's just a tick box option under Coding (byte 14) for the Central Electronics module.

However, your lights do have dedicated DRL's built into them (it's not actually the side lights that are used as DRL's) so if it is possible to change the DRL's to use the fogs instead on the Bi-Xenon units, doing this would then end up making your dedicated DRL's redundant (unless the fogs and the dedicated DRL's then just come on together with that option switched on).

leeds/lee

Oct 29, 2014
www.facebook.com
Best thing to do would be to get someone with VCDS to try it out. It's just a tick box option under Coding (byte 14) for the Central Electronics module.

However, your lights do have dedicated DRL's built into them (it's not actually the side lights that are used as DRL's) so if it is possible to change the DRL's to use the fogs instead on the Bi-Xenon units, doing this would then end up making your dedicated DRL's redundant (unless the fogs and the dedicated DRL's then just come on together with that option switched on).

I didn't know they were dedicated DRL's, if so il leave them as they are then.

Is it possible to change DRL's to same colour of the bi-xenon then.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I didn't know they were dedicated DRL's, if so il leave them as they are then.

Is it possible to change DRL's to same colour of the bi-xenon then.

Yes, you can change them to LED bulbs but it's a bit hit and miss with the late facelift cars because the bulb error sensing circuit seems to be far more sensitive on these later models. So by changing over to LEDs you may end up with the bulb fault light on your dash (either all the time or intermittently), even when using CANBUS error free LEDs. It would be a bit of trial and error to try and find some that might work OK with your car.

Parts-u-like generally seems to be the recommended supplier for replacement LED bulbs on here.

Last edited:

leeds/lee

Oct 29, 2014
www.facebook.com
I put led's on my clio, didn't like it. Looked a bit chavy.
Think il leave it or until i see what others have at brekkie meet.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Just so I know, why would you want to look like you are driving with your fog lights on in the daytime? I know Skoda, Volvo and other have this as standard, but it does look a bit like those muppets who drive around fog lights on when visibility is good.

leeds/lee

Oct 29, 2014
www.facebook.com
Just so I know, why would you want to look like you are driving with your fog lights on in the daytime? I know Skoda, Volvo and other have this as standard, but it does look a bit like those muppets who drive around fog lights on when visibility is good.

True, thought of that when i wrote it.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I have LEDs in my DRLs, look way better than standard bulbs.
371c1bf2ad599d6646a0578d7a677292.jpg

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
They're from HIDs Direct, can't remember what SMD they were though. Not had problems with errors until recent, quick flick of the switch and they'll go. Had mine well over a year now.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
They're from HIDs Direct, can't remember what SMD they were though. Not had problems with errors until recent, quick flick of the switch and they'll go. Had mine well over a year now.

I just had a look through some of your old posts and these seem to be the ones you're using...

It's a shame they do still give you a bulb error some times even if you can clear it by flicking the lights off and back on. It shows that trying to find true error-free LEDs is still just a game of trial and error. There must be some way to calibrate bulb error sensitivity in Body Control Module because other VAG cars use different types of lighting and I'm sure they must be using common BCM's. Is there no way to do any kind of re-calibration using VCDS? I guess not (unless the settings for that are very well hidden) otherwise someone would have found out how to do it by now.

Last edited:

springer

May 30, 2010
http://www.seataccessories.co.uk/product/LED_DRL's_-_Leon_FR_%26_Cupra_R_Only_ZGB1P0052190

Those do actually look quite good even if they're a tad on the expensive side. I guess they just fix to the bottom of the bumper without the need to do any custom mods.

Does anyone know if they are wired into the same circuit as the dedicated OE DRL's and if they need to be coded in with VCDS? And what then happens to the existing OE DRL's?

Dont forget that price includes the gloss black front grille.(thats how i read it anyway)
Pretty sure they do need programming in,for me its the fact they look like they came from factory like that and not some Halfords special.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.