DSG Service & Recall - Undo the recall?

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
Hi all,

Had my DSG service done at a Seat dealer near me a few weeks ago, £295, along with a recall.

Since then, I've felt that the car shifts and generally drives way worse, especially when cold. Previously, stone cold drive first thing in the morning, it shifted smooth as butter. Now it holds onto gears way way longer than before and shifts from 1st to 2nd, and 3rd, are noticably jerky. Less so when warm, but always there.

I've also noticed that on run down, for example coming up to traffic lights, it stays at 1000rpm way longer than before. Previously coming to a dead stop it would drop to 800rpm almost immediately, now, it's a good one or two seconds of 1000rpm, then it gently slows down to 1000rpm.

I don't know if this is:
A - The recall (23CJ) has done this, as it did mention something to do with gearbox and engine ECUs
B - The DSG service they've either not reset adaptations and it's confused, or they HAVE reset adaptations and it's somehow made it worse
C - The dealer made an *rse of it and messed up the service, fluid level isn't right or something.

**Edit - I now know the answer to this, so the subject of this thread has changed.**

My question is, do you think my SEAT dealer would remove this recall? The car is genuinely now garbage to drive...

Last edited:

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
Answered my own question - it was the bloody recall that done it. (Link from German forum but translate tells me all I need to know...)

1712175244090.png

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Answered my own question - it was the bloody recall that done it. (Link from German forum but translate tells me all I need to know...)

View attachment 41703
Sounds very similar to the 'update' carried out on Mercedes Diesels.
Interesting that your quoted article states it's mandatory (maybe it is in Germany), because it isn't in the UK (at least on Mercs)

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
My SEAT dealer has tried to get me to have it installed twice now, but I've refused each time as it would wipe my remap.

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
My SEAT dealer has tried to get me to have it installed twice now, but I've refused each time as it would wipe my remap.
Yeah.... don't. Regardless of losing your map, this car is now genuinely atrocious to drive, particularly when cold. It now drives like a 30 year old car with a nackered torque converter.

I'm going to phone my dealer today and use this as my angle... my car wasn't remapped but I'm going to claim it was.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I've had a quick mooch about the on WWW and can't find anywhere that states this software update is a recall in the UK.
Did the dealership state it was a recall (which suggests that it's a mandatory thing) or just a software update?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
From here:

"New findings, also known as Diesel Gate 2.0, now reveal how fraud continued after the first deception became known and the extent of the cheating: Not only is the VW EA189 engine type known from 2015 affected, but customers may also have been deceived with the successor model EA288. This means that even buyers of the latest models are affected. The EA288 can be found in vehicles of all VW brands, i.e. not only VW itself but also Audi, Seat and Skoda, and has been installed in almost all diesel vehicles with 1.4 TDI, 1.6 TDI or 2.0 TDI since 2013. Only the T6 is still subject to an obligatory recall by the authorities, but the courts have decided in favour of the cheated plaintiffs for other EA 288 models as well. In order to avoid a mandatory recall, VW has now launched a voluntary recall, in which a software update of the engine management system is intended to reduce emissions."

Reactions: Seriously?

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
Phoned the dealer who did the recall, unsurprisingly, the answer is no, they won't remove the recall/new ECU firmware.

I offered to pay the labour for them to do it, but no dice.

So that's my car ruined, thanks SEAT.

• Sad
Reactions: Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Phoned the dealer who did the recall, unsurprisingly, the answer is no, they won't remove the recall/new ECU firmware.

Did they tell you when it went in that the 'recall' was voluntary and you didn't need to have it done?

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021

Using OBDeleven or some other capable diagnostics device, the date & time of the last firmware updates and also dataset updates can be checked for engine, transmission, etc., just to determine which control units were touched. Then previous firmwares and/or datasets for those control units might be uploaded using unofficial ways, I mean by an independent garage or a retrofitter maybe. But of course there would be no guarantee that this would revert everything to the state they were in before, or that it wouldn't brick anything. I'm pissed that they've ruined your driving experience and wanted to suggest a path to a possible solution. Hope you'll sort it out some way.

Sent from my 23013PC75G using Tapatalk

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Dealership did exactly the same thing to mine when I had the cambelt done. Software updates without asking, removed my map and absolutely ruined the way the gearbox behaved.
Luckily as I was already mapped I popped back to the guys that did mine, had the map restored and gearbox flashed back (to their stage 1 mapped version with better shift points)

Reactions: SuperV8 and Mo_86

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Each time I go in for a service, I have to sign a letter to say I'm refusing the 23CJ update. When I said it was remapped, they said they wouldn't put the update on as they've had problems before with remapped cars. I'm assuming it's just updating sections of the ECU rather than a complete wipe and fresh update.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

'thinking out loud' have you tried the sport drive mode?
Maybe sport mode is unaffected by the emissions update?
The fact that the car always reverts back to normal mode for the engine when re-started to me suggests this is to do with the emissions homologations.

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
Tried all drive modes, same thing persists.

(Also, curiously, my car doesn't/hasn't ever went back into Normal mode after cycling the ignition. It always stays in the mode I set it!)

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Mines a facelift and didn’t remember my preferred profile, until I altered it with OBDeleven to remember last selected driving mode (or in my case my individual profile with mixed settings)

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
I don't have 'Convenience' nor the Easy Connect system. Mine is a pre-FL, so assume the pre-FL keeps these settings unless someone says otherwise? Maybe my car is an enigma?!

Convenience is for DCC cars only (I haven’t got it). But if it remembers your last selected mode then someone at some point has altered the coding in it to do so, it’s not the OEM behaviour

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
I'm sensing a confusion here and wanted to add my two cents: Last selected profile is always remembered but some of the singular elements of the profile default to normal, namely engine and gearbox. And unfortunately, neither the instrument cluster nor the infotainment unit has no way of showing that situation. You think you're in Sport. Your steering and suspension (in DCC-specced cars) are in Sport, but your engine and gearbox are not.

Sent from my 23013PC75G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members