dummy guide to doin 0-60 with vag com

Oct 12, 2005
Hi guys i have just got the vag com shareware version to use with my usb cable. could someone please tell me how to get to the 0-60 bit etc. start from the beginning thanks.

Simon L

Audi TTS
Sep 24, 2004
Glasgow
There isnt a 0-60 bit.

You need to find a block that take speed measurement and log it. The log will give you a time stamp, and with these 2 figures you can calculate your time to certain speeds.

Uwe@Ross-Tech

Jan 7, 2002
www.Ross-Tech.com
There isnt a 0-60 bit.

Correct, but there will be in the next version:

run2.png

-Uwe-

GTi T

May 8, 2005
North West
Uwe,

When is this next version available ?

If we have a lap top already how much are we looking at to get set up with vag-com programme,cables etc?

cheers

Tom

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
CupraSteve said:
about as accurate as an egg timer though

I was lead to believe its more accurate than a stopwatch and inaccurate speedo so unless you have a proper GPS timing kit then its about the best way you're going to measure speed over distance. I think I remember Uwe saying that the speed sensor was on the output shaft of the gearbox, could be wrong though.

Block 005 gives speed in kph and a timestamp, just multiply the speed (kph) by 0.6215 to get speed in mph.

60mph = 96.5kph
100mph = 160.9kph

Uwe, the feature you have in the next version of vagcom looks really good.
When can we expect it? Will it be in a new Beta version or an altogether new version? I assume it will be a download for existing registered cable owners?

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
GaryM said:
I was lead to believe its more accurate than a stopwatch and inaccurate speedo so unless you have a proper GPS timing kit then its about the best way you're going to measure speed over distance. I think I remember Uwe saying that the speed sensor was on the output shaft of the gearbox, could be wrong though.

Block 005 gives speed in kph and a timestamp, just multiply the speed (kph) by 0.6215 to get speed in mph.

60mph = 96.5kph
100mph = 160.9kph

Uwe, the feature you have in the next version of vagcom looks really good.
When can we expect it? Will it be in a new Beta version or an altogether new version? I assume it will be a download for existing registered cable owners?

of course its more accurate than a stop watch and speedo :lol: what isnt, next youl be saying its more accurate than counting in your head!

as far as things go tho its still pretty inaccurate the time stamp for a start doesnt refresh frequently enough and evn if your getting loads of samples per second the speed reading from vagcom wont be 100% accurate either

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
CupraSteve said:
of course its more accurate than a stop watch and speedo :lol: what isnt, next youl be saying its more accurate than counting in your head!

You said it was about as accurate as an egg timer, the only other thing we can go by (apart from an egg timer) is a stopwatch. 99.9% of people won't have access to accurate GPS timing equipment so vagcom is about the best you'll get. It has to be more accurate than G-Tech meters too I would have thought.

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
yes i agree, by saying egg timer i wasnt actually meaning an egg timer.

At the end of the day vagcom is very useful for what it is intended, fault codes, and measuring varies outputs from the ecu.

IMO it cannot really be used for a 100% accurate speed testing tool, if you want timing done of your car best bet is to get it datron timed or something

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
I agree Steve but think its the best tool available for people without access to accurate equipment.

I know your egg timer quote was just a figure of speech :)

Uwe@Ross-Tech

Jan 7, 2002
www.Ross-Tech.com
See my comments on accuracy here:
http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/590931.aspx

Sample rate does not seem to have a big effect on accuracy given the math we're doing. Although our test car with 2.0 TFSI engine is capable of much faster sampling, we've tested down to ~3.3 samples per second (which is doable on any modern car) by deliberately slowing the timing parameters on the options screen and still came up with numbers that compared the same way against our time-slips.

-Uwe-

GTi T

May 8, 2005
North West
Uwe@Ross-Tech said:
See my comments on accuracy here:
http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/590931.aspx

Sample rate does not seem to have a big effect on accuracy given the math we're doing. Although our test car with 2.0 TFSI engine is capable of much faster sampling, we've tested down to ~3.3 samples per second (which is doable on any modern car) by deliberately slowing the timing parameters on the options screen and still came up with numbers that compared the same way against our time-slips.

-Uwe-

Uwe,

When is this next version available ?

If we have a lap top already how much are we looking at to get set up with vag-com programme,cables etc?

cheers

Tom

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
read that thread on uk mkivs, re. accuracy, whilst still being very good, it still appears to be too wide of the mark to say your car is definitely xx fast, 0.4 secs is too much for my liking, call me picky buts thats me, i like a good old fashioned external timing system that gives you bang on results.

I do agree its better than nothing, and probably the next best thing to actual timing, but for me its not good enough to write off taking your car to be properly timed

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.