Early morning starter problem

Old Bloke

Jan 30, 2014
Oxfordshire
Have a 2003 Toledo 1.9SE, lately the first time of starting up the starter motor is very slow and barely turns the engine over but does start. Subsequent starting is perfectly OK. Battery is still original as are all the electrics.

Recent service did not highlight any probs at all even after computer hitch up.
Wondering if this is a battery that needs changing or if the ir is an earthing fault or resistance build up overnight.

Other consideration is alternator zener diode allowing leak off from the battery but I would have thought this would have been picked up by the computer in service.

Any thoughts ?:headhurt:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Poor battery.

Poor battery or earth connections.

Starter motor has brush debris (graphite powder) all over the insides causing resistance.

To try and eliminate the starter motor try banging it before you start in the morning to see if the sluggishness goes.

Do you have a cheap test meter? If not get one from ebay, they are only about a fiver and with a little help from us guys you may be able to find the fault.

marts66

wife's tolly sport does the same. She is prone to leaving satnav cable plugged in to cigarette lighter but I would agree that your battery needs checking and if possible check for a drain on the battery overnight. Are all interior lights off? Boot light?

Old Bloke

Jan 30, 2014
Oxfordshire
Well, have had a good going over of the bus and nothing springs into view, will however replace the battery as it is original and has lasted really well ( V***a) Have just replaced all the bottom track control arm bushes and anti roll bar bushes too after the garage said they were shot. Being told the bill to do the job was £1300 was an incentive to do it myself. Did the lot and replaced the two rear tyres for £250 all in. Thanks to the forum for the way to carry this out.

marts66

Sounds like you've been busy, hope you had a nice warm garage to work in!

Old Bloke

Jan 30, 2014
Oxfordshire
Nice warm garage......Yeah I should Cocoa. It's cold and damp, full of junk thanks to her indoors so everything I do is outside. Luckily it was during the two day window when it wasn't chucking it down with rain I only had to put up with the wind whistling around my derrière and the cold start on the second day. The thought of saving dose sent a warm feeling through me though.:):)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.