ECO Mode

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
I recon ECO mode is dangerous, because you think you are driving a Leon SC 1.8 DSG and in fact you have the performance of a 2CV i.e. 0-60 mph eventually.
Very easy to be lured into a dangerous situation on roundabouts and junctions.
Tony

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
I guess that applies to DSG only. On my manual FR, there's almost no difference in performance, it is only the throttle mapping that is different. I mean, something like say 80% of pedal travel results in what is 50% in normal and 30% in Sport. However, when you floor the pedal in ECO and activate the switch at the bottom, it accelerates the same as in other modes, so there's no handicap.

Mk3 Se

Dec 1, 2015
Wifes car (not a Seat) has an ECO button and is manual.

Press it and the car turns into an absolute animal, a dead animal.

The dash lights up in various colours that indicate how economically you are driving, watch the display instead of the road and you will possibly die in an accident.

But you will be going so slow the chances are you will survive and be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention.

In normal mode the car is absolutely fine BUT eco mode totally ruins it.

Fair enough, if you floor it the button under the pedal overrides ECO but why should you need to floor it for a bit of extra go, its just wasting the fuel you may just have saved. Normal mode gives enables you to keep up with traffic and overtake without flooring it.

Probably only be used a couple of times in total just to see what happened.

Bugger the supposed fuel saving.

Last edited:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I guess that applies to DSG only. On my manual FR, there's almost no difference in performance, it is only the throttle mapping that is different. I mean, something like say 80% of pedal travel results in what is 50% in normal and 30% in Sport. However, when you floor the pedal in ECO and activate the switch at the bottom, it accelerates the same as in other modes, so there's no handicap.

My DSG model does the same, give it the gas and even in ECO it will perform, maybe this only happens in the Cupra/FR with the individual setting of ECO.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members