Efficiency- who needs a diesel?

Jamie-g

Oct 9, 2018
AFB8C00F-6D95-4E10-A6D1-17A91CD6AFB8.jpeg
The missus done this dunno how. It’s on a 2018 cupra 290.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zer0

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
32 in cupra 290 which I don't thinks bad at all, cupra mode unless the missis is in then its comfort haha

Attachments

• 15961861463111701676620511524552.jpg
    15961861463111701676620511524552.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 152

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Seems like these little tsi engines are great on fuel. Some time ago I had a mk3 Leon with the 1.2tsi and the 1 regret I have when chopping in for the Astra is the fuel economy. Although my 1.6t has quite a bit of get up and go you soon get used to it and the mpg (to be expected) is nowhere near the Leon .I was even tempted to look at the Leon 1.0 115 just after purchasing the astra when the Astra drank a huge amount of fuel in its 1st week ! Size wise though I think the Ibiza is perfect for me and the Mrs. I just got to get down the dealership sometime.
Having had 3 years with each, the 1.2 was a way superior motor compared to the 1.0, having a usable torque band made all the difference.
But you can mask the 1.0 deficiencies by ordering a 7 speed DSG and letting that do all the work.

Jamie-g

Oct 9, 2018
I had to look twice at that dashboard , I thought 42 is good at speed of 51 , then saw 51mpg , was this downhill all the way lol ? Dam good figures though.
She must have free wheeled the whole way home. :ROFLMAO:I done from Liverpool to Kent last year and only got 41mpg

Reactions: pompeydave

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
I had a trip from Dartford to Chester and back due to a new job and was really impressed with the fuel economy, 62.6mpg average since refuelling after covering 458 miles and still had 85 miles left. I was in sport mode and stuck to the speed limits but had a couple of full throttle overtakes to get passed lorries. It cost me £37 to fill up with super unleaded at Costco so very happy as my company pay £0.45 per mile.

Attachments

• E9C4FAB3-E7D7-46FC-895B-97A633F55F74.jpeg
    E9C4FAB3-E7D7-46FC-895B-97A633F55F74.jpeg
    495.1 KB · Views: 95

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
I had a trip from Dartford to Chester and back due to a new job and was really impressed with the fuel economy, 62.6mpg average since refuelling after covering 458 miles and still had 85 miles left. I was in sport mode and stuck to the speed limits but had a couple of full throttle overtakes to get passed lorries. It cost me £37 to fill up with super unleaded at Costco so very happy as my company pay £0.45 per mile.

Hi Ian
Another set of cracking figures for the Ibiza , I've decided on the Ibiza after looking around at loads of cars .Ideally its your engine I'm interested in in excellence or FR trim.
There seems to be loads of 95bhp versions at dealers but think I,ll hold out for the 115 version if I can , saying that I wouldn't rule out a 95 if a cracking deal was put on the table. Me and the Mrs mainly do town work driving now (lifestyle change) and the odd 100 mile motorway trip twice a month so prob either engine fine.

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
I get around 40-45mpg during town driving. The fuel consumption had got better with more miles done in the car. Mine has done 15000 miles now. My other car is a VW Touran 2.0tdi which gets 40-45 town driving and about 50-55 on long runs so still costs more in fuel. I’ve not driven the 95hp version but I’m sure it will be enough for town driving but I would hold out for the 115 if you can and if you stretch to the Xcelence Lux speck you will be really pleased.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
My LTA is around the low 50s but regularily get high 50s to low 60s on a long run depending on how I drive. Can't really complain.

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
My LTA is around the low 50s but regularily get high 50s to low 60s on a long run depending on how I drive. Can't really complain.

Another happy owner then ? I was torn between a fiesta and the Ibiza but reckon more Ibiza owners are getting superior mpg to equivalent fiesta. On ford forums it's either 'eco' or 'boost' ! Not both , with some owners only getting 30's-40's Max.
On several occasions I've said I will visit local dealer but time has flown past and working from home with a new business doesn't help lol . Just got to have a couple of test drives then will seal the deal , just a couple of things to check before buying ie 95 or 115 , Fr or xcellence .And to see both 5 speed & 6 speed gearboxes on motorway.

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Also how to buy the car ? I could p/ex current car and put a few £££ towards an ex demo or similar but considering current climate maybe Pcp / Pch might be the way to go but would have the hassle of selling a £11k Astra privately (and who's got that money at the moment !). Only downside I'm new to self employed so maybe these ways of buying are limited to me at the moment. The thought of banking £11k and putting down £2k as deposit and monthly payments is very tempting IF I am entitled to. Will keep car max 3 years . Anyone seen any cracking deals out there ?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Also how to buy the car ? I could p/ex current car and put a few £££ towards an ex demo or similar but considering current climate maybe Pcp / Pch might be the way to go but would have the hassle of selling a £11k Astra privately (and who's got that money at the moment !). Only downside I'm new to self employed so maybe these ways of buying are limited to me at the moment. The thought of banking £11k and putting down £2k as deposit and monthly payments is very tempting IF I am entitled to. Will keep car max 3 years . Anyone seen any cracking deals out there ?
If your current car is worth £11k as a part exchange and you want to put down a £2k under a PCP, the dealer will pay you the excess value of your car (£11k minus the £2k deposit, so £9k excess value) as a separate amount. Avoids the hassle of selling privately, although you might get slightly less for your current car trading it in than you would if you’re able to sell privately.

Keep a close watch on what’s happening with used car prices at the moment though - you might be pleasantly surprised with what you get offered for your current car as a part exchange. Used car prices are very strong at the moment and are actually going up on some cars, as there’s a shortage of supply of good condition in-demand models, so always do your research on current values. Two days before picking up my new car, I managed to negotiate a higher part exchange price for my trade in than I originally agreed with the dealer (around an extra 7%). I‘d let the dealer know I was aware of the current situation around supply and demand in the used car market and the impact current market conditions was having on values, so they knew I’d done my homework.

My new car is a VW and I got the VW dealer to match the Drive the Deal broker price, plus I got a cheap service plan for the first two years servicing, and I didn’t buy any of the overpriced dealer add-ons e.g. paint protection, scratch and dent insurance etc. (although I never do buy these). With the increased part exchange price on my trade in, I was very happy with my deal.

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks very much SRGTD for the info , wasn't aware dealer could do that on the Pcp front.Will save a lot of hassle with trying to sell car privately .Agree used car market prices are strong so will push as much as poss with the p/ex.
Not being nosy but what VW do you drive ? And reason behind your choice . I do like the polo but the new golf seems to have gone all techy but I'm prob showing my age now lol

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thanks very much SRGTD for the info , wasn't aware dealer could do that on the Pcp front.Will save a lot of hassle with trying to sell car privately .Agree used car market prices are strong so will push as much as poss with the p/ex.
Not being nosy but what VW do you drive ? And reason behind your choice . I do like the polo but the new golf seems to have gone all techy but I'm prob showing my age now lol
I wasn’t sure how the trade in worked either if the trade in value was more than the max deposit allowed under PCP. However, if this is the way it’s handled by VW dealers, then I’m assuming it’s common practice with other brands too.

I have Polo GTI+, which replaced my 2016 previous generation Polo GTI. The reason for my choice? For me, it seemed the logical choice, having owed the previous generation model, and being a bit of a VW fan (I‘ve owned VW’s for the past 18 years). I also wanted something that had similar performance to my previous car and decent levels of equipment. I only drive around 6k - 7k miles a year so fuel consumption wasn‘t of primary importance, although my new car is currently averaging around 41mpg, so not too bad for a 2.0 200ps car, and the mpg should also improve as the engine loosens up.

I’m not a fan of the new Golf; IMO it’s not a good looking car, and I don’t like current trend of replacing the conventional buttons, knobs and switches for basic functions like heating / ventilation and lights with touch screens.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Another happy owner then ? I was torn between a fiesta and the Ibiza but reckon more Ibiza owners are getting superior mpg to equivalent fiesta. On ford forums it's either 'eco' or 'boost' ! Not both , with some owners only getting 30's-40's Max.
On several occasions I've said I will visit local dealer but time has flown past and working from home with a new business doesn't help lol . Just got to have a couple of test drives then will seal the deal , just a couple of things to check before buying ie 95 or 115 , Fr or xcellence .And to see both 5 speed & 6 speed gearboxes on motorway.

I had the 140 Ecoboost Fiesta Zetec S (old name for ST Line) before the Ibiza. Being extra careful I would be lucky to get 50 Mpg out of a long run. Also the 115 Ibiza drives better IMHO. The engine is better than the Ford's

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks for replies guys , never considered a polo Gti before , had 2 fiesta st's a few years ago , good fun.
Reason for changing is do I need a 200bhp Astra to go to post office and back every day lol and a couple of long journeys a month. Recently had a lifestyle change with change of job etc etc , now work from home and do very little mileage hence thinking about a more economical engine. Polo Gti is prob slightly better than I am getting at the moment but would be a sideways move in terms of performance for me , I need mpg more these days. With great info from SRGTD on the Pcp I'll go to dealer this week.

Tell

Staff member
I use to get something like that in my Uno ES in 1984 :sneaky:. 900cc. 65 mpg from memory. Lousy at carburettor icing thou. You would get a lorry on your bumper on the M25 as it ground to a stand still. Why I switched to diesel :love:. Electric next. Garage's fix was a piece of cardboard stuck in the radiator like a taxi :rolleyes:. Fuel injection sorted out that problem with petrol engines.

The 3 cylinder 1.0 Seat does go like a rocket thou.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
I use to get something like that in my Uno ES in 1984 :sneaky:. 900cc. 65 mpg from memory. Lousy at carburettor icing thou. You would get a lorry on your bumper on the M25 as it ground to a stand still. Why I switched to diesel :love:. Electric next. Garage's fix was a piece of cardboard stuck in the radiator like a taxi :rolleyes:. Fuel injection sorted out that problem with petrol engines.

The 3 cylinder 1.0 Seat does go like a rocket thou.

Ah the Fiat Uno. My first car lol was so much fun to drive as well

Reactions: Tell