EGR help with TDI PD130 FR

GrumpyOldMan

Jan 16, 2007
Guildford
My engine warning light came on the other day. Stuck my diagnostic cable on and got 'P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected'.

There are no other symptoms or problems; it idles smoothly and power seems fine too. It's a 2006 PD130 FR (BLT) with 120k on the clock, and it has the smaller gasket fitted to the egr pipe which was done by a dealer not long after I bought it back in 2006.

Anyway, I don't like warning lights so I cleaned out the EGR valve, which was a bit gunged up round the valve. I cleared the fault from the ECU but after a few minutes driving the light came back on.

If I disconnect the vacuum pipe to the egr valve it makes no difference to the idling. If I put my finger over the end of the rubber pipe I can feel a slight vacuum.

As it all runs fine, what I'm wondering is how it detects insufficient EGR flow? Put it another way is it possible that the EGR and the solenoid valve are fine and what ever detects the EGR flow is at fault?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated as I don't want to buy spare parts unnecessarily.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Needs mapping out. It detects an increased MAF reading. Stick a normal gasket back on it if you can't find anyone local to sort it for you

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
If the valve has failed then no. Easily checked by removing the boost pipe nearest the egr and watching the operation of the valve. Likewise checking the EGR isn't gummed up. Monitoring the MAF reading would help to isolate something not working properly or completely failing

EGRs are nothing but hassle. Would always recommend getting rid of them

GrumpyOldMan

Jan 16, 2007
Guildford
Thanks again Dan FR. I know the EGR valve is not jammed as I managed to push it open when I cleaned it, though it is pretty heavily sprung.

As you suggested I removed the boost pipe and so I could see the valve seat, I also removed the bit with the butterfly flap that bolts in front of the egr valve.

The egr valve did not open at all even with reasonably high revs. Again I removed the vacuum pipe and there seemed to be a reasonable vacuum.

I can get the MAF readings, but i'm not sure what I'm looking for. I know you favour removing the EGR but I'm a bit of a coward really, so my feeling is that for £55 to get a new EGR valve it probably makes sense to replace that and see if it works. What do you think?

Last edited:

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
If youre getting good vacuum and it still wont open then it sounds like its seized shut. Personally i would map it out but if you prefer to replace then hopefully a new one should sort it out

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Not really a DIY option but would take somebody with the right tools and knowledge less than 10 minutes to do, if you had a local tuner they could probably do it for you. Easiest option would be to replace it

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
I have MPPS and the ability to map the EGR out and currently working in Woking if you get stuck.

Really....

I have a permanent EGR light because when my BV39 turbo lunched itself, I replaced it with the garrett. EGR is blanked off! How long you there for? I work in Crawley

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members