eHybrid 'stuck' in hybrid mode!

Dave5118

Jun 27, 2021
Wondered if anybody else has experienced this, I set of in EV mode and all is well, then when I get to the motorway put it in hybrid mode. Usually when I leave the motorway, I go back to EV mode for the last leg of my journey. But now the car won't allow me too, it stays in hybrid mode until the next time I restart the car. I did notice, it goes straight into hybrid 'charge' mode instead of hybrid 'equals' mode, this with the battery still at 80% plus.
It happened once before, and I thought I'd cleared it by accelerating hard onto the motorway, it was ok for a few weeks, but is back now.
I know the car won't go back into EV mode immediately after using hybrid mode to charge the 12v , so was wondering if my short commute(10 miles) is not keeping the 12v topped up sufficiently with my driving style, I do also sit in the car at times with the infotainment on and the engine off.
I will try hybrid mode only today on my commute, if the that doesn't work looks like another trip to the garage.

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
I've had mine since June and to be honest, it's like playing roulette every time I drive the car as to what it wants to do or how it behaves.

I was compiling a list of "oddities" to provide the service centre but I've become so apathetic towards the car I can't be bothered anymore.

I appreciate that doesn't help you but you're not alone in trying to figure out why the does what it does.

Reactions: Dave5118

Dave5118

Jun 27, 2021
Yeah, that's true. Seems I may be right about the 12v not topping up enough. Just used hybrid mode to work. Got to the last set of traffic lights before work, and whilst sat there the engine went off, checked the 'E' symbol and it was indicating EV mode was available again and sure enough it was.
I think they are missing a trick not topping up the 12v battery from the 48v when stationary overnight 🤔

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
A small trickle charger works well for keeping the 12v auxiliary battery topped up.
I use a NOCO Genius 1A smart charger, can recommend as also works with AGM batteries.

Use it to keep my Outlander PHEV aux battery topped up & will on my Leon ehybrid when I eventually receive it...

Dave5118

Jun 27, 2021
Nah, I think would be too much of a faff for me tbh. I'll just drive it in hybrid mode a bit more.

Apr 13, 2022
My Cupra Leon has just started doing this since a recent recall and ESC update, after never doing it before. I now can't get into electric mode at all and it jumps into ICE mode when braking, meaning it jumps forward. Terrible!

Aug 4, 2023
Mines doing the opposite, after a recall the e mode and hybrid mode buttons are both greyed out and I can't put it into hybrid mode anymore. Can still force the engine to start though by planting the accelerator but then it goes back into electric. Also the individual settings for keeping charge in the battery are greyed out and can't be selected now. Hopefully this is something the dealer can sort when I take it back in.

Dave5118

Jun 27, 2021
Mines doing the opposite, after a recall the e mode and hybrid mode buttons are both greyed out and I can't put it into hybrid mode anymore. Can still force the engine to start though by planting the accelerator but then it goes back into electric. Also the individual settings for keeping charge in the battery are greyed out and can't be selected now. Hopefully this is something the dealer can sort when I take it back in.
Yeah, mine did this after the last 'update', you will need to take it back to the garage to be 'reset' properly. Only takes a few mins.

Aug 4, 2023
Yeah, mine did this after the last 'update', you will need to take it back to the garage to be 'reset' properly. Only takes a few mins.
That's good to hear mate, I'm back over there on Thursday as the update stopped my satnav and full link working aswell so hopefully be quick to sort all the issues. Thanks.

Aug 28, 2023
I’ve got this exact issue since this afternoon on my SEAT Leon e-hybrid. First of all both lane assist and max speed went into an error and e-mode/hybrid both greyed out. Info system keeps saying no primary user which there is and lost the option to change drive mode (eco, sport etc). Hasn’t been into the stealers so must of been a remote update.

Aug 28, 2023
I’ve got this exact issue since this afternoon on my SEAT Leon e-hybrid. First of all both lane assist and max speed went into an error and e-mode/hybrid both greyed out. Info system keeps saying no primary user which there is and lost the option to change drive mode (eco, sport etc). Hasn’t been into the stealers so must of been a remote update.
I’ve just checked my software version and it’s something like 17__ so fault even on the older one

PeterThomsenDK

Nov 20, 2023
So mine did the same when i bought the car over a month ago. Took it to the shop, got it updated to 1940 and everything was fine until now, 24 days later. Just today, the battery control is greyed out again after charging it at a 22kw charger that I've used several times before without issue. Gonna be interesting in the morning when I go to work if it's still greyed/locked and if so I might throw a tantrum. I'm starting to wish I never went for a PHEV. Been nothing but problems.

Chrispy

Oct 6, 2018
Try turning the ignition on before starting the car.

I.e. press the button without pressing the brake pedal and check the E symbol on the cluster is there (not with the line through it)

Then press the brake and push the start button. If you're quick enough on the brake you don't need to push the start button again.

Mine would often start in hybrid mode with no e mode available, but whenever I start by turning the ignition on first, it is e mode every time.

PeterThomsenDK

Nov 20, 2023
Well it had sorted itself the next morning. I always start the car the same way, by brake and start button. If I just use the start button then the infotainment software crashes and reboots 2 out of 5 times and then things like compass are broken/disabled until the next proper cold start. This doesn't seem to happen if I just start the car with brake+start button.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise