Electric driver window switch fault to rear left window?? wiring diagram help anyone !?

Oct 16, 2020
Hi everyone,

I could do with a little help currently. The driver side window switches work for the driver, passenger and driver rear but not for the passenger rear..

The passenger rear does work off its own switch just not from the drivers.

I currently have the driver and passenger rear door panels off but would like to get it sorted for work the weekend any help appreciated

Thanks in advance!

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hi everyone,

I could do with a little help currently. The driver side window switches work for the driver, passenger and driver rear but not for the passenger rear..

The passenger rear does work off its own switch just not from the drivers.

I currently have the driver and passenger rear door panels off but would like to get it sorted for work the weekend any help appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Hello there,

I've had a look at the wiring diagrams I have but don't have one for MK2 Leon electric windows unfortunately.
But on VAG vehicles the wiring most of the time is = the brown wire is Earth, and the red wire is Power/Live.
The wires that are striped with two colours are normally the signal/trigger wire's.
If you've got a test light this will light up to confirm power, or power probe tester that'll have red & green LEDs to confirm power & earth, or multimeter, you'll be able to check and test the wiring, when operating the 3 switches that work from the drivers window master control switch panel, what I've done in the past when I've had no wiring diagrams, is operate each switch in turn and work out which wire's are for which switch, then the remaining wire's you haven't tested you'll know then they're for the switch that isn't working, you'll be able to see if you have any power feed coming to or from that switch.
You can even write down the wire colours and note which one is for what switch, this can take a little time to test each switch in turn, to determine the rough wiring layout on the drivers window master control switch panel,
that is what I did on my old MK3 VW Polo as I had no manual or wiring diagrams, but I traced/worked out the fault was my window switch, I took the switch out and opened it up to check/clean the contents inside, which were heavily discoloured.

You should have a window master control module, and possibly might also have individual control units for each window regulator motor, so as you have 3 windows working from the drivers master window switch, this confirms you have power from the main window master control module, plus you've mentioned the N/S/R window switch works ok as it operates that window in question normally, so it's possible your fault could be with the N/S/R window switch in the drivers master switch panel ?

I'll double check my wiring diagrams but I'm pretty sure I don't have one for the windows on the MK2. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Hope this helps
Si

Oct 16, 2020
Hi Si,

Thanks for the information. I’ve purchased a driver master switch for this and it still didn’t change anything which is why I’ve resorted to posting on here. Although the switch isn’t brand new it’s from a reliable source who test there products prior to sale so I wouldn’t think that the switch on the driver control is the issue although I will check.

If the switch is good what would your next port of call be to diagnose the issue.

Regards
Kieran

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hi Si,

Thanks for the information. I’ve purchased a driver master switch for this and it still didn’t change anything which is why I’ve resorted to posting on here. Although the switch isn’t brand new it’s from a reliable source who test there products prior to sale so I wouldn’t think that the switch on the driver control is the issue although I will check.

If the switch is good what would your next port of call be to diagnose the issue.

Regards
Kieran

Oh I see so you've tried a new master switch unit already, and still no joy.
Ok I'd check the simple things first like the connector plug that attaches to drivers window master switch unit, make sure all the female connection pins in the window wire plug are not corroded, and they're evenly gapped so will slide onto the male pins in the switch unit.
If that looks ok then must be a wiring issue, but like I say you'll need to test that wiring loom when operating the window switches on that master switch unit, to determine which wire's are for what switch, at least then you'll know which wire's you'll need to be looking at in more detail.
Inside each window switch there's a small circuit board and possibly some tiny contact pressure plates, that complete the electrical circuit when the switch is pressed in either direction,
so you should have power and earth to that switch in question, and you should have a signal reading from the striped wire/s on that circuit, the striped wires are the ones that send and receive a signal, to or from a control module or motor.

Si

Oct 16, 2020
Hi Si,

I still haven’t resolved the fault with the passenger rear window. I’ve checked in between the driver door where all cables channel through and on inspection seems in very good condition.

I have attached a few photos to see if you could help give a better diagnosis. The yellow card which I have drawn and partly labelled is the connector which goes into the driver window switches. The 3 labelled ‘passenger, driver and driver rear are striped and like you said switch wires as when individually probed from a ground source they lower. They only window that didn’t lower is the one in question passenger rear which I can’t identify or find the fault.

At the passenger door, passenger rear door and driver rear door each switch has 3 cables brown, grey and a striped.

Passenger striped is red + white

Passenger rear striped is white + purple

Driver rear striped is white + purple

The issue is these cable colours do not seem to correspond with the connector at the driver switches so it’s hard to identify.

Hope this gives you a better idea and hopefully a solution to this growing nightmare.

Kind Regards

Attachments

• 13B05339-8BAF-4335-8592-24BDB25539F6.jpeg
    13B05339-8BAF-4335-8592-24BDB25539F6.jpeg
    629 KB · Views: 943
  • 41397FE7-6AA9-4971-B3AD-78EAF1ACB233.jpeg
    41397FE7-6AA9-4971-B3AD-78EAF1ACB233.jpeg
    564.3 KB · Views: 890
  • 0DE8E494-730D-4CBA-8CED-17A5DC8E4244.jpeg
    0DE8E494-730D-4CBA-8CED-17A5DC8E4244.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 633
  • 4C9A7633-8D41-4C96-A399-EEF06AA9D0DF.jpeg
    4C9A7633-8D41-4C96-A399-EEF06AA9D0DF.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 44180766-CCD7-49C0-AC61-6DAEB6800850.jpeg
    44180766-CCD7-49C0-AC61-6DAEB6800850.jpeg
    939.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 4B4283DD-751E-46C2-A010-165BCB8718BA.jpeg
    4B4283DD-751E-46C2-A010-165BCB8718BA.jpeg
    979.5 KB · Views: 361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 638

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Hi Si,

I still haven’t resolved the fault with the passenger rear window. I’ve checked in between the driver door where all cables channel through and on inspection seems in very good condition.

I have attached a few photos to see if you could help give a better diagnosis. The yellow card which I have drawn and partly labelled is the connector which goes into the driver window switches. The 3 labelled ‘passenger, driver and driver rear are striped and like you said switch wires as when individually probed from a ground source they lower. They only window that didn’t lower is the one in question passenger rear which I can’t identify or find the fault.

At the passenger door, passenger rear door and driver rear door each switch has 3 cables brown, grey and a striped.

Passenger striped is red + white

Passenger rear striped is white + purple

Driver rear striped is white + purple

The issue is these cable colours do not seem to correspond with the connector at the driver switches so it’s hard to identify.

Hope this gives you a better idea and hopefully a solution to this growing nightmare.

Kind Regards
Am I missing (or you) some pins out of the bottom of the underside of the switch

Oct 16, 2020
Am I missing (or you) some pins out of the bottom of the underside of the switch
Hi,
It does seem as though two pins are missing but it’s exactly the same as the previous switch I had but also the same as some for sale on gumtree so I’m not sure wether it is?
Regards

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Hi,
It does seem as though two pins are missing but it’s exactly the same as the previous switch I had but also the same as some for sale on gumtree so I’m not sure wether it is?
Regards
I don't think having pins missing is good, on a simple note you have four switches with up/down so each switch has
three wires, although there will be a comon live so that is a minum of nine plus there is a rear window shut off(but
dont know how that bit is wired) but I think the switches are iluminated, so that is ten !

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
That looks right.... 10 pin connector with pins 3 and 10 unused.

Switch output for the windows is resistance based rather than direct switched wiring as there needs to be 4 switched positions for each window switch... momentary up and down and auto up and down

1 - Child lock switch output
2 - +ve
3 - Unused
4 - -ve
5 - Front left window switch output
6 - Front right window switch output
7 - Rear right window switch output
8 - Rear left window switch output
9 - +ve for illumination
10 - Unused

Do you have access to any diagnostic equipment? It would certainly help to work out where the issue is as you could look at the detected switch positions and test the rear window commands to the modules.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
That looks right.... 10 pin connector with pins 3 and 10 unused.

Switch output for the windows is resistance based rather than direct switched wiring as there needs to be 4 switched positions for each window switch... momentary up and down and auto up and down

1 - Child lock switch output
2 - +ve
3 - Unused
4 - -ve
5 - Front left window switch output
6 - Front right window switch output
7 - Rear right window switch output
8 - Rear left window switch output
9 - +ve for illumination
10 - Unused

Do you have access to any diagnostic equipment? It would certainly help to work out where the issue is as you could look at the detected switch positions and test the rear window commands to the modules.
Have you not got a test meter ? and what is your location ?

Jan 12, 2023
Hi i have read this post and i am currently experiencing the same issue you have explained. Did you manage to resolve your issue