Electrical problems - blinker and rear light

Nov 13, 2021
Hello all! :)

My blinker is going crazy. Works well but then suddenly stops blinking BUT stays on. So in theory I could just turn it off and on and it is blinking (but it's me doing the blinking). If i click the hazard light button 3 or 5 times it starts working again but eventually it happens again. I dont think it has anything to do with rain, since it hasnt rained here since forever.

I read about a relay issue, but i dont know how to take it out. I think its behing the hazard light button?

Also when i shift the rear gear, my rear light is not showing up. Does that have anything to do with the blinkers? What would you do?

Thank you guys!

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi mate replace your hazard switch it’ll solve your problem.
I had exactly the same issue on my mk1 Octavia vrs which is the same plateform as your car. Euros car parts had one in stock when I changed mine for about £20 that was 5 years ago so will be more now most likely. I believe the switch has a relay built into the back of it. Thinking about it when mine did the same it was a very hot day as I remember replacing the switch with the ac on and the car running.

Reactions: Mmueslis
Nov 13, 2021
Is it difficult to do? I saw a tutorial somewhere but can't find it anymore. The problem seems to be exactly that relay. I even read that you could hit it and it would work another year :D

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Is it difficult to do? I saw a tutorial somewhere but can't find it anymore. The problem seems to be exactly that relay. I even read that you could hit it and it would work another year :D
Hi sorry for the later reply I’ve not done one on a Leon mk1 but the Octavia mk1 it was easy just used a sharp screw driver and very carefully wedged it out. I had seen the dash slam method online but it wouldn’t work at all with me as it’s the indicators and so important I went and got one straight away from euros and fitted it in the car park. Hope this helps mate. Maybe msg Thai to see if he’s got one for sale?

he’s braking a mk1 in the for sale section and has a lot of good parts for sale normal especially if your looking to make yours faster.

Nov 13, 2021
managed to get one here in Lisbon! :) will try to take out the hazard light as soon as I have it in my hands

did it also affect your rear light? The one when you put in the rear gear? thanks mate!

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
managed to get one here in Lisbon! :) will try to take out the hazard light as soon as I have it in my hands

did it also affect your rear light? The one when you put in the rear gear? thanks mate!
Hi mate not that light is a different circuit. If your reverse lights isn’t working check the bulb and holder first and then if it’s not that check the reverse switch on the gearbox might need to replace that.

Reactions: mty12345
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members