End of an era...

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
It’s with a very heavy heart that I’m throwing in the towel with my beloved Mk1 Leon. I’ve tried all I can with my coolant loss issues but things are getting worse rather than better... so I’ve made a hard decision and decided it’s time to let go. I’d like to thank all you guys on here for years of ideas, support and laughs keeping my car on the road.

On a side note If anyone is interested in taking her off my hands please let me know as someone with more time and mechanical knowledge could possibly squeeze more life out of her... otherwise it’s going to the breakers next week.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
It’s with a very heavy heart that I’m throwing in the towel with my beloved Mk1 Leon. I’ve tried all I can with my coolant loss issues but things are getting worse rather than better... so I’ve made a hard decision and decided it’s time to let go. I’d like to thank all you guys on here for years of ideas, support and laughs keeping my car on the road.

On a side note If anyone is interested in taking her off my hands please let me know as someone with more time and mechanical knowledge could possibly squeeze more life out of her... otherwise it’s going to the breakers next week.
I'm interested

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough

Sorry about that quick response, sad to hear mate, sure you don't want to continue?

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Sorry about that quick response, sad to hear mate, sure you don't want to continue?

Hey no worries mate, it’s been a tough decision to say the least. The time and money I’ve spent means I’ve been heavily invested in her, but due to bad stuff going on in the family (relative many miles away terminally ill) we need two reliable cars in our house. Just don’t have the time to put her right.

Id MUCH rather see her go to someone on here to either get her fixed or at least make use of all the good bits and pieces.

Reactions: Andrewwright

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Hey no worries mate, it’s been a tough decision to say the least. The time and money I’ve spent means I’ve been heavily invested in her, but due to bad stuff going on in the family (relative many miles away terminally ill) we need two reliable cars in our house. Just don’t have the time to put her right.

Id MUCH rather see her go to someone on here to either get her fixed or at least make use of all the good bits and pieces.
Sorry to hear about the situation your in, I'm not good with conversations like this sorry.
What you looking for, for her?
Where a about in the country are you?
Tbh I'd keep it and see if I can keep it running, do you know where the loss is coming from or is that the problem?

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
No worries and thanks mate, it’s been a rough 12 months.

So far in trouble shooting the loss:
New radiator
Water pump (and timing belt)
Thermostat inc new flange
New coolant reservoir cap
Whole new coolant reservoir and cap
Couple of pieces of hose.
Heater matrix flush

I’m in Fleetwood near Blackpool so a fair old distance from you I think. £500 I was thinking, it would need to be collected though. 144k on the clock.

Silver lining: 11 months MOT, water pump and timing belt done last year, 110-144bhp remap, 35mm lowering springs and half bushes replaced with Powerfex inc new dogbone mount. Door seals all done, facelift wing mirrors, original tape player replaced with CD player with Aux/USB in. Oh and new DMF / clutch couple of years ago too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkie

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
No worries and thanks mate, it’s been a rough 12 months.

So far in trouble shooting the loss:
New radiator
Water pump (and timing belt)
Thermostat inc new flange
New coolant reservoir cap
Whole new coolant reservoir and cap
Couple of pieces of hose.
Heater matrix flush

I’m in Fleetwood near Blackpool so a fair old distance from you I think. £500 I was thinking, it would need to be collected though. 144k on the clock.

Silver lining: 11 months MOT, water pump and timing belt done last year, 110-144bhp remap, 35mm lowering springs and half bushes replaced with Powerfex inc new dogbone mount. Door seals all done, facelift wing mirrors, original tape player replaced with CD player with Aux/USB in. Oh and new DMF / clutch couple of years ago too.
Sorry mate I thought it was a petrol. I'm done with the tdi, the nice black cupra TDI I had.....sold it. Can't have a car I can't work on so I'm looking for a 1.8t again and I'm sticking with it this time, next one I get I'm keeping till it dies. Tbh I'm looking for an Ibiza 1.8t ATM. Not many about.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Nooooooo Zardiieeeee I'm sorry to here about the family troubles mate. Hate to see you part ways with the leon. But it's completely understandable my man. If i could recommend getting a non turbo car. Much easier to work on and cheaper overall. More reliable than any tdi or turbo petrol. Unless ofcourse you're gonna lease or buy a new car. Then you don't need to worry about long term reliability.

Sent from my RMX1993 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zardoz

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
All things come to an end buddy.
A sad day for sure.
You’ve given it a really good run and I’m sure the cars loved all the treatment you’ve given it over the time you’ve owned it.
Good luck in the future.
Been fun.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Ha, hit the nail on the head :) Deposit went down on a 3 door Toyota Auris 1.6 VVT-i T3 (£2700) with only 22k! on the clock, so I get that next Saturday. Hardly earth shattering, I know but I just need something reliable for my longer daily commute and everything else that’s going on. The chain driven timing is a nice touch too.

I’ll be keeping my eye on you all so don’t worry. And seeing as the Leon is my 3rd Seat, I doubt it’ll be my last.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
It sucks, but I can understand it. My car's been sat for the past week and a half and I can't drive it until I've got the boost leak sorted, but I don't need it most of the time. If you need the car to get to sick family members, it's not just about it running - it's got to be reliable.

I'm sure you'll be back though - I've never driven a car quite like it.

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
So sorry to hear the sad day has come :( It is the decision I dread most & I'm sure it really can't have been easy. I'm sure my car is determined to break the bank (or me). You gave it your all with a really difficult issue to solve. Shame it didn't let up! My OH wants me to get something less costly/demanding, just can't imagine parting with the boy, love/hate relationship! :( Good luck with the new ride & future, hope it all works out for the best. :givein:

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Cheers guys, yeah it’s been a massive decision as I love this car... but family needs and practicalities have forced my hand. Like I say gutted but it’s been a blast. No other car has put a grin on my face like this has, especially since the remap!
This online community is superb, not many places that are 100% positive and supporting like this place. Been a pleasure... keep your eyes out for me in the Mk3 section down the road :)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Cheers guys, yeah it’s been a massive decision as I love this car... but family needs and practicalities have forced my hand. Like I say gutted but it’s been a blast. No other car has put a grin on my face like this has, especially since the remap!
This online community is superb, not many places that are 100% positive and supporting like this place. Been a pleasure... keep your eyes out for me in the Mk3 section down the road :)

I'm really sorry to hear about the family issues and the sale of the car also. Sounds like you have done everything possible to get to the bottom of the issues. All the best with everything in the future and like the other lads have said, hopefully we'll see you back here soon enough! Cheers buddy.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.