engine fan run down?

geesh99

Hi there when ever I turn the engine off regardless of journey distance the engine fan seems to remain on and I have to restart the engine and give it a rev then turn it off again then it will stop was wondering if anyone else has experienced this ??

geesh99

Well that's what I thought it would come on after a long journey etc cool the engine but this is sometimes after a matter of miles ?

geesh99

Spoke with the dealership they say it could.be to do with the resurculation of the engine?
Also I know when starting the engine up you need to wait for the coil to disappear but still find the engine sluggish in colder weather ?

Albie999

Sep 12, 2014
Mine does the same, and is a very loud fan in the engine. Sometimes it goes off after a min or so, other times, it has been close to 10 mins (or it felt like that)

I was wondering if there was something wrong as well. I have the FR 184 bhp as well

geesh99

I end up turning the engine back on and rev it and turn it back off again and it goes off but don't know if it is something to worry about ??

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
It is just because you have turned the engine off whilst it was in the middle of doing or had just finished a regen of the DPF filter. When the car forces this to happen, it heats the exhaust up to a higher than normal temperature to burn all the stuff off in the DPF filter. You can spot this happening sometimes when you stop in traffic and the engine revs sit on 1,000 rather than normally it is lower. If you stop the car and the exhaust temperature is still high, the car will leave the fan running for as long as necessary to bring the temperature back down. The regen is unlikely to have completed so the car will look for the next opportunity to do one when the correct conditions are met (what the car can't do is predict the future and work out you are going to end the journey).

So nothing to worry about at all, but if it is happening on EVERY journey, I would suggest you are doing too many short journeys and never let the car complete a regen. Potentially the filter will get clogged in the future, so I'd suggest taking it for a nice long blast down the motorway. Once up to temperature, 10-15 minutes at good revs (I think over 2,000) will get a regen to happen.

geesh99

Ta man that would make sense lol just though I would ask the question to be on the safe side. Thanks again.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members