Engine oil quantity

mace!

Jun 24, 2011
UK
Appoligies if this has been covered and this is probably stupid of me BUT, I've been told that the leon 1.8t takes 3.5 litres of engine oil and after checking on castrol website it confirms it...Fine... but I changed the oil today poured in 3.5 litres of oil and it barely registers on the dip stick. Checked the dipstick tube it hasn't pulled itself out or anything, waited a while to see if it was taking an abnormal amount of time to get to the sump. but no joy, I dont want to overfill as thats worse than having to little. So basicly my question, is it 3.5 litres inc filter change?? and if so what could be wrong with mine :clown:

Last edited:

OVNIWCE

Mellow Yellow
Apr 12, 2011
chesire
mine is close to 4.5 litres when i do it, best thing to use is the dipstick, it doesnt lie. in most cases, once the filter/turbo/oil pump is primed when you fire it up and knock it back off you have to top it up again, i think the 3.5 litres is what is held in the sump.

51mo

May 21, 2011
I did a oil and filter change a week ago and I was also told it would take 3.5 litres but it took something like 4.5-4.7

mace!

Jun 24, 2011
UK
Thanks for replys shows you cant believe everything you read makes me feel a lot better putting the extra litre in.. :)

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Oil and filter change takes 4.5 litres, not 4.7 as stated above.

4L in the sump, .5L in the filter. (unless you get a bigger than OEM filter) ;)

oilcapacity.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.