Engulfed in smoke - Oil burning smell

If you mean the snoke was billowing from that exhaust? then that the aux heater, it's not there to provide heat for the rear internal heater? it's there to provide heat for the engine to aid warm up times and to provide heat for both heater units
due to the TDI engine being so efficient and crap at provideing heat they fitted the aux heater, it burns fuel taken from the fuul tank via a seperate pump and metering unit, the most common cause of excessive smoke is a duff glow plug, the replacement of this is covered on another forum that I used to frequent ;) I cant post you the link to the topic as I'm banned from the site :banned: :cry: :p not

The aux heater has a glow plug if it get gummed up or doesnt heat up fully you get an incomplete burn of the fuel hence the smoke, if it's a damp day and all is well with the heater unit you may get a bit of grey smoke from the heater due to the moisture in the air being burnt!
a slight amount of smoke on start up is seen to be acceptable! but clouds of stinking diesel smoke is the sign of a duff glow plug, fouled up burner chamber or a dodgy metering unit?
if your still interested in a copy of the tis let me now as I'm working back down your way and could pop it in to you one lunch time or on friday afternon as we get an early finish :) poets day :funk:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise