EVO review of 2006 Ibiza Cupra

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
SEAT Ibiza Cupra

SEAT's hot hatch gets some plastic surgery

espite its 'new' tag, the 2006 model-year SEAT Ibiza isn't that new at all. It's just been freshened-up, with new wheels, bumpers, tailpipes, twin headlights and an improved interior.

The 178bhp 1.8-litre turbo engine of the petrol Cupra has a nice growl to it, little throttle-lag and a hefty punch. The variable-assist steering feels satisfyingly weighty, though it lacks detail, and it's complemented by an effective ESP and stiff suspension. At eight-tenths the Cupra is perfectly capable and fast. But push on, and switch the ESP off, and the Cupra turns scrappy, the damping struggling over anything but smooth surfaces.

Meanwhile, the joint range-topping 158bhp diesel Cupra alternative is a simply devastating overtaking tool thanks to a mighty 243lb ft of torque delivered at just 1900rpm.
But there's a dilemma. Pitched below the Cupra models, the 'warm' FR versions (148bhp petrol or 128bhp diesel) are better resolved. Less power and greater suspension compliance make for a more entertaining drive. There's little 'real-world' performance difference, and the saving of around two grand makes the FRs the pick of the range, though they're by no means the class leaders.

taken from http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/evo/driven/64713/seat_ibiza_cupra.html.

Though some might be interested, still sticking with the 1.8T in the Ibiza.

T. Spark

The FR will never be a flagship model in the sense of the word!?

I think you mean it will become more desirable maybe?

If thats the case, ur already right, as for power/money/insurance the FR's come on top, I would have got a cupra for more power yes, and the extra few ££ wouldnt have killed me, its was ONLY the insurance that made me get a FR, being 18 at the time, that was the ONLY reason for my choice over a Cupra.

Oh, and the fact I like the fact it doesnt look too sporty next to other "warm" hatches of today :D

Weird, a!

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
no it's good the models are getting a make over the new fr's are v nice. i think it does come down to insurance wih this now, standard the Fr a warm hatch and the cupra's a hot hatch i think its fair to say.

Bunnin

Stealth machine
Sir SparkSter said:
The FR will never be a flagship model in the sense of the word!?

I think you mean it will become more desirable maybe?

If thats the case, ur already right, as for power/money/insurance the FR's come on top, I would have got a cupra for more power yes, and the extra few ££ wouldnt have killed me, its was ONLY the insurance that made me get a FR, being 18 at the time, that was the ONLY reason for my choice over a Cupra.

Oh, and the fact I like the fact it doesnt look too sporty next to other "warm" hatches of today :D

Weird, a!

I just think the way the FR is constantly recieving better reviews, from press to owners, even none owners! the FR is undercutting the Cupra! certainly in the Ibiza stakes anyway.

With the facelifts on the way the cupra's not offering that much more for the money, lets face it most members on here will probably remap there car anyway so the difference in bhp figures isnt that tempting.....

BUT if money wasnt an issue most people would have a Cupra because people like to own top of the range cars!!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
they mad the **** up of making the FR too good and then did not aply the same ugrades tot he Cupra.

With the facelifted FR how does the cupra stand out. especially when you consider the price difference.

I sat reading evo witha big grin on my face, sorry if that sounds smug, but its the first time a car have bought gets a good review, barr the golf tdi i had

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
It's good the tdi's fr and cupra gets good reveiws maybe more people will buy the, both the cupra and fr are great value i think considering prices for a 130 golf or audi 130!

the face lift i'm looking forward to cos i'm going to get my girlfriend to get one in a years or two's time!

they needed to do space up and they did, the pre face lifted fr are just as good as the new one it's just got a cupra type body kit.

you still get a bit more in the cupra, and is the top of the range but yes i can see why th fr's are going to be more desiderable in deisel form (insurance!)

the cupra's is too high 15 when the petrol more powerful is?? it should be 14 not 15

Last edited:

zac_69_uk

Aug 9, 2003
Solihull
www.villagephotos.com
Guys,

I am not starting a Cupra vs FR debate....

Evo already reviewed the Cupra (in TDI form) and gave it 4.5 stars out of 5! (check the knowledge at the back of the mag)

Test Drive put the Cupra (in TDI form again) against the Clio 182 Cup and performance wise it was equal!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/grouptest/899/databank_chart/hot_hatchbacks.html

"they mad the **** up of making the FR too good and then did not aply the same ugrades tot he Cupra"

So the Cupra is not that good?

No offence to the FR owners out there but the Cupra is a more focused drivers car than the FR, thats why its the Cupra.

We all know why the Cupra costs more and to add those bits to an FR makes the FR as or more expensive than the Cupra.

SEAT will never expect to sell as many Cupra's as FR's but thats why I like owning the Cupra, exclusivity :)

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
as of facelift, the difference between FR become engine obviously, but Front mount, 4 -pots and front bumper, oh and black interior . The rest of its the same. Even the new FR has the same seats as the cupra with an FR logo stitched where the cupr aone is, has the same white dials, has 17's, has rear bumper, . so the difference between the 2 has shrunk even more.

All i was saying is seat have done quite a few mods to the new FR, they have done sod all to the cupra bar the addition of silver as an option and updated the wipers, gearknob and steering wheel.

i think SEAT have suddenly realised the FR is the best selling and trying to capitalise on it a bit more before the new one comes out next year.

PS I will be in the queue for a 2.0 TDi mk5 next year especially based on the pics.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I had an Ibiza TDi FR for 5 months last year and as much as I loved it for its mid range grunt:
1) The steering was too light
2) The brakes were just awful
3) The suspension was intollerable and jittery
4) The dashboard rattles drove me to distraction
I so wanted to love the car as it was great on paper, but when I drove the Ibiza Cupra on the Prodrive test day it was a better car - no question. The steering felt more responsive and better weighted, the brakes were far more effective and to be honest I found it far more compliant over rough surfaces. Maybe the 'new' facelift FR has been tweaked, but if not then the Cupra is ultimately better. The gap has been bridged with the new seats and bodykit, but the Ibiza Cupra has always been a victim of high price. Great car, but the Leon R was only a bit more money with a discount. Otherwise I'd be sat in an Ibiza Cupra TDi now. The FR will never be SEAT's lead marque as its not prepped by the Cup Racing Team.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
still one of the best selling, just look at the fr to cupra ratio on the ibiza.

Yes the brakes are shocking, the suspension is better in the tdi than the 1.8T

dash rattles, well same as any other ibiza really or leon to mention it nothing individual to the FR.

T. Spark

VAG-COM the steering to make it heavier :D

Brakes are better than most ive driven, but 312mm upgrade thankies!

Suspension, well spose if youve never driven better you wouldnt call it bad!?

I dont have any dashboard rattles... kinda :p

Just turn the music up, b right!

The Cupra will always be the flagship model, will always have better performance out of the box, better handling, and better brakes.

The FR overall tho, in alot of people's minds is a better car overall. Taking into account the not so good brakes, and less "sporty" styling. Cheaper insurance on both 1.8T and TDi.

Bunnin

Stealth machine
I'd definatley consider buying a petrol Cupra i think there quality......

My only argurment is 99% of users on here have or will mod there cars! once that starts to happen insurance will go up in respect to what u do to ur car so!

And because the fr is lower on insurance, when people do start to mod there FR'S or CUPRA'S......the CUPRA's is always gonna be costing u more!!.

when u look at the two completely standard the cupra is always gonna be the better car, but all the users i know of on here haved modifyed there cars so these reviews n rating go out the window......

i do agree with all the above,
the Cupra will always be "the Daddy"
But, the difference for me in insurance is the deciding factor.
FR TDi £302
Cupra TDi £550
i don't understand why the Cupra is SOOO much more, other than it's desirability to steal it, but if there's more FR's, then surely the FR becomes more of a target???

looking for a diesal to replace little Beeza SX next Feb, and can't decide between Ibiza FR and new Leon :confused:

If price Vs. spec is the deciding factor, then Ibiza FR wins hands down, but only if Ovni is available by then :shrug:
I do like the facelift bits to the Ibiza mk4.1, but having just driven a Toledo 2.0 TDi sport, the Leon (or even Altea) may be the final winner????

A lot of time and discusion before signing, but new Beeza is certainly still in the running :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.