EXCLUSIVE!: Official Leon launch model details now on-line (Cupra image added :))

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Seat have released details of the new Leon's launch models prior to the Barcelona motorshow. SEATCupra.net have an exclusive feature now available on the main site.

An exclusive design analysis will follow shortly.

*** Full details and pictures can be found on the main site here ***

newleon_01.jpg

Please add your comments / thoughts below.

Syphon

djrichard

DJRICHARD
Mar 11, 2004
glasgow
zzzzzz waiting for the sportier models with hopefully more attractive wheels. Those wheels are so boring and do absolutely nothing to enhance the car. The wheels on the Cupra R at the moment are fantastic looking wheels for a standard car. Although having said that the wheels on the current car further down the range are nowhere near as nice as the R so maybe Im being a little bit critical.

I like the look of it but Im not too sure about the back of the car. I think it looks very fat and overweight, not at all like I thought it looked from the pics of the concept Leon we had last month.

Reserving total judgement until I see it in the flesh. Im especially intrigued to see what the interior is like in the final production model.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Comparing cooking model to cooking model on looks alone that is going to hurt resale.

djrichard - interior shots are there (well, a dash shot).

It doesn't talk about trim levels (or I haven't read it yet) but hopefully the 2.0TDi will get the same excellent seats as the Altea with that engine

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
djrichard said:
I like the look of it but Im not too sure about the back of the car. I think it looks very fat and overweight, not at all like I thought it looked from the pics of the concept Leon we had last month.

Probably should have mentioned this in the design review. Two things, firstly a solid colour will not show form and sometimes reflection as well as a strong deep metallic, like the prototype.

Secondly, the rear on the prototype is broken up by graphite style diffuser, something missing on the Production version.

Something that is odd though, the Altea has a black bottom section and siill, where as the Leon doesnt, while a black edge would further reduce its visual height (less body colour), it would make the car look as though it had higher ground clearance.

Wait for the FR and Cupra (LCR replacment), other than the dia wheels, exhaust and camer/brake light, I'm sure it will be very close to the prototype.....same cant be said about the dashboard!

big ALI H

Cavey
Jun 27, 2003
Cas-Vegas, West Yorkshire
Visit site
I quite like it TBH. I feared that the boggo models (ie non FR/Cupra) would look very very bland as (IMO) the current model does. Still looks good although i think the interior is a bit of a let down - looks a bit like the Mk 4 Ibiza in that the design is fine but the quality of materials is poor - hard, cheap plastics.

I definately think its looking very much like the Mazda 3 now (which is no bad thing in my book) with an Alfa 147 rear end. It will be interesting to see how SEAT price the various models (especially the diesel) and what options they will provide.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
More pictures can be found on the Seat media site here.

I'm definately considering getting the TDI sport to either replace the LCR or the Ibiza. Probably spec a nicer set of wheels if available as an option (as per altea), and any alloy trim available. :)

Then get saving for the Cupra. :cheeky:

I like it. :thumbup:

Scott

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
:redcard: :redcard:

Looks like i'll be going down another route when I get bored with mine cos i'm not going near that one - it looks like a family car and a little :gay:

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
I'll repeat what I said on the other thread (from having seen the pre-release press cars on the road last week).

Anyway - new Leon looked "alright" to me, but they were clearly low-to-mid range models. With that in mind they didn't look great, but certainly better than a current low-to-mid range Leon. :yes:

Delighted to see that they didn't tower over me.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
andyb - you scare me with the accuracy of your design articles from almost a year back!

always top notch!

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
andyb said:
twin exhausts make me think it could be the 2.0FSi (even though they say it wont be available straight away) or 2.0 TDi

The one in the Pictures is the 2.0 TDI .. or a TDI at least!

If you look closely at the picts under the side indicator is the badge .. It say TDI (the DI is in red the T is silver)

Also close up from the media site http://media.seat.com/en/multimedia.html?annex=9434&qual=10 (might need to zoom in a bit)

mr_claypole

may the farce be with you
I'm happy that they've managed to keep a little more on track than they did with the altea and toledo - ie, handles in the rear, subtle body mods.

I think if they can produce something that comes half way between whats been shown and the prototype (thinking cupra here..) they will have a nice car on their hands which people will like.

my only concern is, that they'll bring the cupra out, with the nice 20. fsi turbo and give it a 20k price tag and no kit, forcing you to add options pushing it into silly money (a la golf gti)

!¬)

J

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
interior is a real let down , just looks cheap and nasty . think i`ll buy an 1 year old audi instead lol.

all the nice bits have been removed nice chrome bits etc. ford`s focus looks nicer inside now.

Shrek

Sep 20, 2004
Wokingham
I actually quite like the look of the new Leon, it's certainly grown on me. My only criticism would be the front doesn't look quite right, although everything else looks good and it wouldn't be enough to put me off getting one of the sportier ones when they become available.

Overall I like it... and as has been said is more interesting than the current 'base' models. :thumbup:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.