Exhaust Sound

Ian Sturgess

Dec 8, 2019
Berkshire
Always thought the exhaust sound was a bit muted unless in Cupra mode so have disconnected the leads that control the exhaust flaps so they are now always open. Not driven far yet but now have a fruitier sound across the modes even Comfort, all connectors have been blanked off with exhaust valve terminators and blanking connectors to protect everything. No error messages, will update once she has had a decent run.

BoyRacer

SUV time!
Aug 5, 2016
Thanks for that Ian as I'd always put down the subdued exhaust note to the GPF and didn't even realise it had flaps!
Now if there was another way to allow the enhanced sound (VCDS?) then that would be my preferred option.........

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Please note that the exhaust valves (flaps) exist for another reason other than muting the sound.
From what I have read on various forums and articles, it is controlling the return (back) pressure and catalytic converter heating up faster to optimal temperature.
I have tried disconnecting the valves when they were open, and after a short drive about 5km I have scanned the car for errors using VCDS and there was a plethora of error messages in Engine block and Central Electronics.
I wouldn't advise playing with them until we fully understand what are we doing.

I will try to find where I have read it and post it later.

Thats my 50 cent.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: BoyRacer

Ian Sturgess

Dec 8, 2019
Berkshire
Please note that the exhaust valves (flaps) exist for another reason other than muting the sound.
From what I have read on various forums and articles, it is controlling the return (back) pressure and catalytic converter heating up faster to optimal temperature.
I have tried disconnecting the valves when they were open, and after a short drive about 5km I have scanned the car for errors using VCDS and there was a plethora of error messages in Engine block and Central Electronics.
I wouldn't advise playing with them until we fully understand what are we doing.

I will try to find where I have read it and post it later.

Thats my 50 cent.

Thanks for the update, I don’t have VCDS so unable to check for any codes myself, any suggestions where to get one.

Quick question if the car is put into Cupra mode from start up the flaps open so would that no cause the same issues as keeping the flaps permanently open?

I know people with S3’s that can permanently open the flaps via VCDS and no mention of any issues or errors.

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
From my observations, The flaps are closed by default when stationary regardless of the mode. Its only when you put the gear into D and in Cupra mode they will open right away even when stationary (not sure about Sport mode, didn't try it for obvious reasons). I can confirm this because I have monitored the valve position using VCDS.

I also noticed that the valves remain close between 1500 & 2900 RPM give or take.

There is not much you can do for cars with GPF, people are replacing their stock exhaust with aftermarket one's + a remap to make their cars sound better/louder.

Regarding VCDS, you need to buy it
Cheaper alternative is OBDELEVEN, and by cheaper I don't mean worse.

Tell

Staff member
Carista as I understand it is like the apps in Odbeleven, whilst Obdeleven gives you the apps and the programming side. I only use the "programming" side of Obdeleven. I got 400 credits now which I haven't used since you get one every time you connect up. Like Greenshield stamps... trade in for a fluffy toy ?. Obdeleven dongle now supports iOS. That's the NextGen dongle:

https://obdeleven.com/en/nextgen

I use the old Android only dongle but you need to read the spec on what the NextGen does on iOS v Android. My understanding it's identical in functionality between Android and iOS, v Carista you have the programming side as well which Carista doesn't have. Note any 2020 model range limitations that VAG is rolling out to the OBD interface. Not sure whether the dust has settled on that one. Might have done. Mib3 cars we are talking about.

The app on the Apple store:

Ian Sturgess

Dec 8, 2019
Berkshire
Carista as I understand it is like the apps in Odbeleven, whilst Obdeleven gives you the apps and the programming side. I only use the "programming" side of Obdeleven. I got 400 credits now which I haven't used since you get one every time you connect up. Like Greenshield stamps... trade in for a fluffy toy ?. Obdeleven dongle now supports iOS. That's the NextGen dongle:

https://obdeleven.com/en/nextgen

I use the old Android only dongle but you need to read the spec on what the NextGen does on iOS v Android. My understanding it's identical in functionality between Android and iOS, v Carista you have the programming side as well which Carista doesn't have. Note any 2020 model range limitations that VAG is rolling out to the OBD interface. Not sure whether the dust has settled on that one. Might have done. Mib3 cars we are talking about.

The app on the Apple store:

Hi Tell
Having a look at the website do I just go for the device, starter pack, pro pack etc. not sure what having credits mean. New to this game just want to see if any error/soft codes, clear if applicable and possibly make a few changes.

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell
Having a look at the website do I just go for the device, starter pack, pro pack etc. not sure what having credits mean. New to this game just want to see if any error/soft codes, clear if applicable and possibly make a few changes.

I advice the Pro Pack. The Ultimate has stuff in it you dont need like a case. The starter pack doesn't have the programming side so just runs the apps. The credits are for the apps which are really "macros" if you are into spreadsheet. The programming option is equivalent to VCDS but cheaper and more portable. Starter pack ~ Carista.

Reactions: Ian Sturgess

Ian Sturgess

Dec 8, 2019
Berkshire
From my observations, The flaps are closed by default when stationary regardless of the mode. Its only when you put the gear into D and in Cupra mode they will open right away even when stationary (not sure about Sport mode, didn't try it for obvious reasons). I can confirm this because I have monitored the valve position using VCDS.

I also noticed that the valves remain close between 1500 & 2900 RPM give or take.

There is not much you can do for cars with GPF, people are replacing their stock exhaust with aftermarket one's + a remap to make their cars sound better/louder.

Regarding VCDS, you need to buy it
Cheaper alternative is OBDELEVEN, and by cheaper I don't mean worse.

Looking around I have not found anyone having a problem, but still looking so if you have found that article it would be appreciated. One thing I have found out is the flaps open when the Ateca is switched off which appears to be the case across the VAG performance range.
Cheers
Ian

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Never got a reply - unsurprisingly there's less of a database of mods for SEAT. I remember in the S3 it was a sequence of ignitions on/off and gear selector movemnets as well as the coding to get the flaps to stay open, but doubt it the same for the Ateca, and different again for a Formentor (different platform to S3/Ateca which are both MQB)

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
i picked up mine yesterday, i think ill need to do a centre silencer delete (if it has one). Worked nicely on the Cupra Leon. I also managed to find the Akropovic exhaust, but it is 50000sek (£5000 approx), so that upgrade will have to wait