Favourite Ale and Cheese

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Afternoon,

Random question but in order to newer and better things I would like some recommendations for new Ales and Cheeses which you hold dear lol

My current favourites include

A nice Blue cheese from Long Clawson and maybe a nice rested Brie so all the sides are falling out lol

Ales include my localish pub brewery beer called Ten Fifty

A full strength mahogany coloured beer, possessing the fine balance of pronounced hop bitterness & aroma against a a natural malty sweetness.

The closest ale on the market to the original Ruddles County, Ten Fifty is our flagship pint.

Then I have Doom Bar

An enticing aroma of resinous hop, sweet malt and delicate roasted notes. The mouth feel is a balanced, complex blend of succulent dried fruit, lightly roasted malt and a subtle yet assertive bitterness. The finish is dry and refreshing.

Also maybe a dash of St Austell Proper Job

St Austell Proper Job is one of the best of the new wave IPAs, made with Cornish-grown Maris Otter malting barley and American Cascade, Chinook and Willamette hops. Citrus fruit, spicy and floral hops and oatcake malt combine to make a wonderfully refreshing beer.

Any new ales or cheese you think I may like please let me know as I like Food and beer haha

Cheers

Glarh

Apr 6, 2016
For me dairylea and Stella .
Afternoon,

Random question but in order to newer and better things I would like some recommendations for new Ales and Cheeses which you hold dear lol

My current favourites include

A nice Blue cheese from Long Clawson and maybe a nice rested Brie so all the sides are falling out lol

Ales include my localish pub brewery beer called Ten Fifty

A full strength mahogany coloured beer, possessing the fine balance of pronounced hop bitterness & aroma against a a natural malty sweetness.

The closest ale on the market to the original Ruddles County, Ten Fifty is our flagship pint.

Then I have Doom Bar

An enticing aroma of resinous hop, sweet malt and delicate roasted notes. The mouth feel is a balanced, complex blend of succulent dried fruit, lightly roasted malt and a subtle yet assertive bitterness. The finish is dry and refreshing.

Also maybe a dash of St Austell Proper Job

St Austell Proper Job is one of the best of the new wave IPAs, made with Cornish-grown Maris Otter malting barley and American Cascade, Chinook and Willamette hops. Citrus fruit, spicy and floral hops and oatcake malt combine to make a wonderfully refreshing beer.

Any new ales or cheese you think I may like please let me know as I like Food and beer haha

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: kazand and Legojon

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Don't know about the cheese but I just tried Doom Bar on a weekend trip to london. The noun served it room temperature, i think it would have been a lot nicer chilled

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I've never had it chilled I must say but I do enjoy... I also like a good spitfire.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
For me dairylea and Stella .

Haha who doesn't like dairylea... Stella is abit gassy for me... But definitely drinkable, did they bring out a snob version of it a while back?

Reactions: Glarh

Deleted member 103408

Tangle Foot is a great beer with regards to cheese Lincolnshire poacher nice flavor that keeps giving.

I used to drink in the F.O.B in London and they do Davey's old wallop in Pewter tankards along with Port in a Brass tankard.
O.M.G after to many hours drinking those two along with Stilton - hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Tangle Foot is a great beer with regards to cheese Lincolnshire poacher nice flavor that keeps giving.

I used to drink in the F.O.B in London and they do Davey's old wallop in Pewter tankards along with Port in a Brass tankard.
O.M.G after to many hours drinking those two along with Stilton - hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Never had tanglefoot but I've seen it about so ill have to grab one or two and see what's what.

Does drinking from a pewter tankard not make the beer taste weird? I'm assuming daveys old wallop isn't available to buy anywhere else lol

Glarh

Apr 6, 2016
Not sure bud. I'm a cheap and cheerful kinda guy. Partial to abit of Roquefort also at Christmas . Treat myself
Haha who doesn't like dairylea... Stella is abit gassy for me... But definitely drinkable, did they bring out a snob version of it a while back?

Deleted member 103408

tanglefoot i first came across after changing jobs, nice smooth beer but after enough you are no longer in control.
Not silly drunk just very mellow and having trouble walking - me and 5 mates.

Old Wallop was obviously designed to drink in pewter tankard, very very old school. First pint is strange but after that wow its great.
But you had to mix it with Port and food, and back in the day I used to go back to work...........

But I suspect your correct you cant buy the bottles over the counter.

The other one I used to love was White Label - but don't drink the dregs or you will be on the loo all night.

Deleted member 103408

Many many years ago I used to go to a wine bar in the City of London and your drank Port (freshly strained through a cheese cloth) with Toasted Garlic Pastrim and Cheese sandwich yum yum.

Oh my work I am going to have to sit down and have a drink now.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I don't have anything to contribute. :( Once, I ended up in this pub in Cornwall. It was a real working mans, for locals only pub. I strolled in, it was really uncomfortable. But luckily the bartender was really friendly "what can I get you?". I panicked. My mind went blank and all I could think of "can I have a WKD Iron Bru please?". I kid you not, the whole pub went silent (and it was packed), the jukebox literally stopped and even the border collie sleeping next to the bar sat up and stared at me.

Their faces haunt me to this day. Although, I respec' the bartender for picking up a WKD from under the counter, blowing the dust off it. Then opening a folder and looking through it to check the price. Before adding "we only actually have one of these by the way".

BNGNHRi.png

Deleted member 103408

On a similar vain I once took a guy out for lunch in a pub. Walked in put my card behind the bar and ordered beer and food for the two of us.
After the meal and beer (Very nice) I went to the bar and said I would like to settle the bill.

To my supprise the lady behind the bar said "We don't take cards"... after some silence on my behalf I said "but you took my card" her response was "oh I thought you wanted me to look after it for you..........". Lucky my customer laughed out loud and settled up with cash and he always reminds me every time we go out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I've been for a beer and food in market Rasen (up @theoldboy way) a while back and we ate for 5 of us with a few beers then went to the bar and said we don't take card lol it was a somewhat awkward moment haha had to go find a cash machine in the pitch black when I'd never been there before lol

So @Legojon you're a sugar drinker lol you not a fan of beer or just neve felt the need? I used to be a big smirnoff ice drinker back in the day along with snakebite and black lol now I somehow like olives, strong cheese and ale lol
Random!

Reactions: Legojon

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So @Legojon you're a sugar drinker lol you not a fan of beer or just neve felt the need? I used to be a big smirnoff ice drinker back in the day along with snakebite and black lol now I somehow like olives, strong cheese and ale lol Random!

Would you believe me if I said my liquor cabinet consists entirely of Rums sorted alphabetically by colour?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Would you believe me if I said my liquor cabinet consists entirely of Rums sorted alphabetically by colour?
My friend is a big rum fan, he likes the import strength Kraken stuff... I personally like gin (even before it became popular lol) ill drink pretty much anything apart from shots and whiskey...

Which is more important... Car cleaning cupboard or the rum cupboard lol