First taste of ABS...

SimonSystems

Nov 13, 2020
North West
...had to slam on tonight - to avoid the idiot who wanted my side of the road more than his own ?...can anyone tell me - what is the feeling through the brake pedal like? It felt, to me, like the pedal kicked me back...

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
...had to slam on tonight - to avoid the idiot who wanted my side of the road more than his own ?...can anyone tell me - what is the feeling through the brake pedal like? It felt, to me, like the pedal kicked me back...
Yup, can feel like its "pulsing", obviously to help you keep control.

Reactions: SimonSystems

SimonSystems

Nov 13, 2020
North West
...cheers mate...it's a weird feeling the first (hopefully, the only) time it happens. In 45 years of driving it's the only time I've ever had to hit the brakes that hard...

Reactions: jcbmally

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
When I was an IAM observer one excercise I always carried out with a new associate was to find a quiet piece of road & then ask then to brake as hard as possible from about 30-40mph. This got them used to the feel of the ABS working.
There have been reports of drivers releasing the brakes when the ABS operated as they thought the pulsing was a fault.

Last edited:

SimonSystems

Nov 13, 2020
North West
...after having experienced the "feel" of ABS working, I think you've got a point - new, or less experienced, drivers should acquaint themselves with it as soon as possible...it definitely saved me from an expensive bill...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members