Fitting Parking Sensors

flyer263

Contemplating having parking sensors fitted to the back of the car as Mrs Flyer thinks back window too small. Any thoughts/experiences of having them fitted?

Simmhead

Got factory fitted ones on mine. TBH, they're a godsend, the high window and boot make for poor visibility. I'd say go for them.

Though, whether its just the factory ones I am not sure, but it can be beeping constantly, then when you get out of the car, there is still 12"-18" space behind :confused:

But overall, I wouldn't be without them.

flyer263

Yeah, the window is a bit high. Last motor was an estate so where the window was, that was the back of the car! Looking at a few systems and there's one who will come to the house and fit them for you. Might try them for a quote. Cheers Simmhead :)

shorty40

Jul 24, 2009
Belfast
Fitted a set to my nephews magane last month, they work a treat, he bought them from Maplin in Belfast for about £20, 4 sensors, dash display and drill bit , good instructions and very easy to fit, a bit nervous when it came to drill his bumper but it worked out ok. I found this on a site if it is any good to you it gives a step by step guide for fitting to a 2005 mk3 Toledo

1. Find centre on back bumper and measure hole positions from centre of bumper . My measurements were 33cm for each of the middle two sensors from centre mark and 58cm for the two outer sensors from the centre mark. See photos for approximate vertical/horizontal sensor positions. I chose 3cm from bottom edge of moulded lip as my reference. This puts sensors at about 62cm from the floor.

2. Remove all rear bumper screws from n/s (passenger) rear wheel well and all bumper fixing screws from underside of vehicle . Only do this on n/s wheel well screws. All Torx 20 size, approximately 10 screws. You need to be able to pull down flexible bumper skirt on underside to get your arm into space behind bumper to pull all wires to central location . You do not need to remove the bumper.

3. Locate rearmost boot grommet , centrally located under boot floor well. Punch a hole into this grommet big enough to feed all sensor wires into boot space.Remember to apply leak sealant around wires to seal any holes.

4. On n/s left side under the bumper you will see the reversing light. Push in latch and remove two wire connector from reversing lamp.Wire loom consists of Brown and Grey wires. Wire suitable wire directly to GREY wire using supplied connector .You should check this wire goes to +12 Volts when ignition is on and reverse is selected. Push this wire through into boot well to join the other 4 sensor wires. I cable tied this wire securely to a panel on underside as it goes over the exhaust and you do not want this wire to touch the exhaust.

5. Tidy up and tape all wires into a loom and then carefully pull out right side panel from under the boot sealing rubber strip to allow you to pass this loom into space behind this panel . You do not have to remove this panel , just lift up bottom edge sufficient to put wire loom through into the void behind. To make the job of pulling up the cover panel easier , remove the plastic panel covering the boot lock. This can be difficult as two plugs holding this panel in position are difficult to remove and refit is they are tight . The two plugs screw off/on but have only two small holes to allow a special tool to unscrew them. You can make up something or do it with a pair of pliers if you have the patience.

6. Put wire loom under this panel and route all wires back out through the central access hole (after removing light cluster inspection panel) of this panel.

7. Drill a 4mm hole into suitable metal panel, inside the panel void, to provide fixing of earth.Use a self tapper and shake proof washer to secure earth wire for CPU.

8. Locate +12V feed from boot interior light and connect a wire from this to the by-pass relay . Fit all wiring to CPU and wire up by-pass relay to CPU. The +12V to the boot light is fused with a 7.5 Amp fuse but is live all the time, so take care not to short it out when wiring it up.

9. Test system with engine off and with engine running to ensure no erratic beeping from system. You must use a by-pass relay as this vehicle uses a bulb failure monitoring system for the reverse bulb. Once system is tested it can be taped/cable tied together to tidy up spare wire lengths and the whole assembly tucked into a recess behind the right panel out of sight. Put back all removed panels.

Single Bypass Relay Fitting Instructions
Item Code: RELAY
Parking Sensor Kits fitted to vehicles with a bulb failure detection system need to be powered via a Single By-Pass Relay, this protects the electrical system on vehicles with a bulb failure monitoring system, multiplexed wiring or CANBUS.
Failure to wire a parking sensor kit via a relay for vehicles with a bulb failure monitoring system could result in one of the following problems:
(1) A “beep” will be emitted from the Parking Sensor kit approximately every 30 seconds during normal driving. This is the vehicle performing a continuity check on the bulbs.
(2) A warning light on the dash will incorrectly report that there is a problem with the reverse light bulb.
The objective of fitting a relay is to minimize the loading on the reverse light positive feed by powering the Parking Sensor kit from a fused ignition switched source. The reverse light positive feed is only used by the relay as a switch (sense line).
Relay Wiring
Brown or Grey
Connect to Vehicle Reverse light positive feed (sense line)
Red
Positive Power source (+) for Parking sensor kit
Blue
Connect to fused ignition live
White
Connect to earth / negative

Please Note that this system is designed to be a driver’s aid and should not replace the need to drive carefully, we accept no liability for damage or loss resulting from improper installation or use of this product, infringement of the vehicle manufacturer’s warranty or injury or loss resulting from any accidents however caused. If in doubt please consult a qualified auto electrician.

Jev

Not sure if recommended already, but there is a no-drill solution that uses the electrical field around a long strip that is atached inside the rear bumper.

swanseastu

fitted mine today with little problems,

I got a set from ebay which come with the drill bit and also were painted by the seller to the paint code supplied - very happy with the tinta black match.

took about 2 hours total to fit and they are pretty accurate.

cant post photos yet, but will do soon

kita32

Contemplating having parking sensors fitted to the back of the car as Mrs Flyer thinks back window too small. Any thoughts/experiences of having them fitted?

Visual parking camera car now widely welcomed by the faithful, largely due rear view camera, reversing safety protection can not be ignored, especially in the crowded parking lot, the location of bad light, children often play areas. A camera can help you a lot. And how much you would like to install the number on the equipment, but generally one or two will suffice.
Step One: First remove the power supply car battery Department connections, and remove the connection on the place away from the electrode in order to prevent accidental power turn.
Step Two: Determine the installation position of the camera car.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.