flywheel, crb or release bearing?

Degsy

Apr 5, 2010
Merseyside
Guys
I have done a bit of reading and seem to have got my head a bit muddled.

I have a high mileage 04 tdi cupra 150arl its still on its original clutch and flywheel. I have developed a vibration slightly noticeable on startup and idle, I also get a whine on deceleration more noticeable when going from 6th to 5th with what can only be explained as a woooooing noise. Noticeable slight whine when coasting and engine not under load. I have no issues selecting any gears and it pulls well throughout the gear range with no clutch slip.

The rattle or engine noise does go quieter when clutch pressed, what am i looking at is it CRB or release bearing or is it time for new clutch and DMF or do i do all of them. Like I say its my daily motorway commute which gets 10k oil changes (or near enough) and i plan on keeping the car until it dies.

what your thoughts guys as im leaning towards DMF but after much reading could be one or two of the bearing issues.

cheers guys
D.

wildrides

Dec 27, 2013
My opinion is that it is the input shaft bearings and output shaft bearings that are worn . The classic symptom of which is a rattle at idle in neutral which dissapears when the clutch is depressed .
I see you are in Liverpool . I have used North West Transmissions and found them very good . They will collect the box from your house on a pallet ...... repair it ........ and return . My last one cost about £400 all
in .

Degsy

Apr 5, 2010
Merseyside
thanks for the reply, im thinking bearings the more i read, but then because of mileage is worth doing dmf and clutch at the same time if the box has to come off

D.

Degsy

Apr 5, 2010
Merseyside
old thread but only just got around to doing something about it, i done the decell fix with gearbox shim on main gearbox shaft . £10 30 minutes work and all sorted no noises what so ever, done gearshift alignment as well. car drives better than it has done for a long time now on 260k (dont know where i got the 180 figure from above, been a long time since on that mileage) and still going strong just dont want to let this car go. apart usual maintainence probably best reliable car i have ever had .

need some new boost hoses now though as fitting lugs wearing through, and a bit of motorway bonnet rash on bumper, bonnet and wings but still looking good.
D.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.