Formentor Resonator removal

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I told Alec to let me know if he decides to sell it, but he never got in touch and I don't log to FB too often, so didn't see his ad. I actually stopped reading Formentor's groups, too much complaining there.

I may consider PCW option, have to read more about it. Progressive Parts wrote that they are main importer of the part. Is it made in China? When I installed x-pipe in Mercedes, guy just did it for me on site and installed.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I checked PCW Exhaust Mods videos and the best result seems to be on Mustangs. After modification it sounds like C63. The problem with this mod, is that you can't reverse it when returning your car. I guess, soundctuator can be re-connected and real exhaust sound won't be heard then. Also, who knows what the result of modification is, if no one done it yet.

MrBiggles87

May 20, 2021
I checked PCW Exhaust Mods videos and the best result seems to be on Mustangs. After modification it sounds like C63. The problem with this mod, is that you can't reverse it when returning your car. I guess, soundctuator can be re-connected and real exhaust sound won't be heard then. Also, who knows what the result of modification is, if no one done it yet.

I have been in contact with Paul (PCW) over the last few weeks and it is reversible. The only way they would know is if they removed the entire exhaust, which they aren't going to do.

I might end up being the first one to do it, I think for £300 it's worth checking out. I'll book it in when the car is delivered and make sure I get videos, if it hasn't been done already of course.

I'm hoping he does the mod on and S3 or a Golf R, as that will give a better indication of how it will sound.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
When is your car coming? I'm not afraid of anyone checking physically exhaust system, just that sound will be so good or loud, that it will suggest some kind of modification.

MrBiggles87

May 20, 2021
When is your car coming? I'm not afraid of anyone checking physically exhaust system, just that sound will be so good or loud, that it will suggest some kind of modification.

I still don't have a build week (Ordered 02/06), so I reckon November (maybe late October). You can still use the valves with his modification, so it would only sound different in Cupra mode. If you leave it in normal, it will be fine when they start it up... or, just get the process reversed. There is no cutting of the exhaust this way either.

Reactions: Agnes.Surrey

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Does doing the res delete on the formentor impact warranty?
In principle yes; it's a non-factory approved modification. In reality, if for example your engine blew up, it would be hard for SEAT to argue your res delete caused it. But I bet they'd give it a try ;) The warranty T's & C's state:
What Your Warranty Doesn’t Cover

The SEAT UK warranty only covers manufacturing defects. It does not cover damage or defects caused by factors outside the Manufacturer’s control or which are the result of normal wear and tear. Examples of this include:

• Damage or defects as a result of repairs or incorrect installation of parts or accessories by an unauthorised workshop.
  • Damage or defects as a result of the installation of parts, components, software or accessories not authorised by SEAT UK.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
In principle yes; it's a non-factory approved modification. In reality, if for example your engine blew up, it would be hard for SEAT to argue your res delete caused it. But I bet they'd give it a try ;) The warranty T's & C's state:
Some of the Golf R guys have fallen foul of this when their turbo blew.
VW claimed that the missing resonator allowed the turbo to over spool due to reduced back pressure.
Warranty on the turbo refused.

• Wow
Reactions: Seriously?

MrBiggles87

May 20, 2021
Some of the Golf R guys have fallen foul of this when their turbo blew.
VW claimed that the missing resonator allowed the turbo to over spool due to reduced back pressure.
Warranty on the turbo refused.
The resonator has been removed on Formentors built after July 2021 though, arent they?

This is why I am taking mine to PCW, as he removes the entire exhaust and removes the internal restrictions. If you were to put the car on a ramp and visually check, you wouldn't be able to see any work done as he works from the top down.

Reactions: JasonJM
Jul 18, 2021
Mine was the first one done at PCW in December.
It sounds angrier and less like a hoover now,nicer start up sound especially in cupra mode,much louder pops and bangs and no drone on the motorway with valves closed.

Hope this helps

Jul 2, 2020
Yeah I asked him about it but someone sniped me too it!! :cry:

@Agnes.Surrey - would you consider the alternate method that PCW Exhaust offer?

"The process involves me removing the exhaust from the car and opening the silencer from above, inside is a series of chambers and pipework, I use stainless parts and welding to internally straight through the airflow, once put back together and back on the car no evidence of my work can be seen.

this also leaves the flap functional so you still have a loud/quiet option, meaning no drone when cruising
"

I reached out to him and he will do the resonator and backbox for around £300

PCW Exhaust Mods
Hi

Jul 2, 2020
Yeah I asked him about it but someone sniped me too it!! :cry:

@Agnes.Surrey - would you consider the alternate method that PCW Exhaust offer?

"The process involves me removing the exhaust from the car and opening the silencer from above, inside is a series of chambers and pipework, I use stainless parts and welding to internally straight through the airflow, once put back together and back on the car no evidence of my work can be seen.

this also leaves the flap functional so you still have a loud/quiet option, meaning no drone when cruising
"

I reached out to him and he will do the resonator and backbox for around £300

PCW Exhaust Mods
Hi Mr biggles 87 saw your vz3 on pcw site sounds great how have you found the better sounding exhaust, can you still run quietly if needed does it effect the driving modes at all and does it effect You're warranty I wonder , pcw is quite close to me so would like to do it thanks for your time in answering

spudboy6

Feb 4, 2014
Swindon
Hi Mr biggles 87 saw your vz3 on pcw site sounds great how have you found the better sounding exhaust, can you still run quietly if needed does it effect the driving modes at all and does it effect You're warranty I wonder , pcw is quite close to me so would like to do it thanks for your time in answering

I think it was Ailen89 who had it done at PCW. I think Mrbiggles87 was going to have it done

I think Mrbiggles is also from Swindon ? If so would have to meet up one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.