FR 1.8TSI, bring it on.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Well the Exeo has gone and but I'm still waiting for the Leon FR 1.8tsi, my Exeo was well spec'd but bloody h**l the Leon I have purchased has ALOT of toys such as:
Heated Alacantra, Tech pack, Winter pack, Driver assist pack , Safety pack, 18inch alloys, Seat Sound system ,,,,,,it goes on. The only things I think it hasn't got is sunroof and metallic paint :shrug:

Only disappointing thing is still waiting for it (supposed to have been here Thursday :blink:

Any issues I should be aware of? I'm not new to the forum, well maybe to the Leon side :starwars: just used the Exeo threads.
looking forward to the fun factor all over again. :yes:

Jord

Apr 29, 2012
Cool bet you can't wait, the engine can make a slightly funny noise when moving at low revs/speeds, part from that it's decent, I never thought it was quick until yesterday. It's slightly quicker than a new fiesta st and as quick as a Astra vxr mk1. I was pleasantly surprised maybe I thought it was not as quick because it has next to no exhaust noise. Enjoy anyway!

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Cool bet you can't wait, the engine can make a slightly funny noise when moving at low revs/speeds, part from that it's decent, I never thought it was quick until yesterday. It's slightly quicker than a new fiesta st and as quick as a Astra vxr mk1. I was pleasantly surprised maybe I thought it was not as quick because it has next to no exhaust noise. Enjoy anyway!

Ta very much, went and sounded good to me and yes the waiting is killing me.

Mark GF Smith

Aug 25, 2014
Derby
No real issues with mine apart from not being able to turn off the screen without selecting the option each time i start up. Think there is a software bug. Best not worrying to be honest.

GEOge

Oct 18, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
How would you compare the 1.8 to the 1.4 (ACT or not) in terms of performance? (if you tested them both, of course). I'm tempted to go for the 1.8 but still can't decide and the local dealers only have the 1.4 for testing, no 1.8 anywere...

phil750

Jul 24, 2012
i have a similar 1.8tsi with high specs (pretty much everything you can get bar lane assist)

What you have to consider with the 1.8tsi is the upgraded brakes and the upgraded suspension.

The breaks are truely awsome, i drove a audi a1 the other day 1.4tsi and the difference in just the brakes was amazing!

youll love the car though it is amazing, i find it nice and quiet and peaceful to drive, but when you want to put foot down it goes like hell!

Jord

Apr 29, 2012
In normal everyday driving the 1.4 feels quicker but in reality it's not, the torque in the 1.4 comes in earlier so it feels just as quick as the 1.8 but when you properly give it some the 1.4s torque tail off earlier than the 1.8. Side by side after 40-50mph the 1.8 leaves the 1.4 for dead.

Mark GF Smith

Aug 25, 2014
Derby
The 1.8 is the better all round car. The performance is there when you need it and the brakes are brill. The engine is great when driving gently or hard so it's a better choice. The 1.8 rides better as well due to the updated suspension.

Jord

Apr 29, 2012
Fuel consumption, I had 85miles of pure fun on £20 of vpower, not as good as a diesel when giving it but better than my previous car. Saying that I only average 35mpg on my daily commute of 10 miles motorway and 4 miles of country lanes but the car Has only just gone over the 1000mile milestone, so maybe the mpg is still to improve.

bertandernie

Apr 4, 2010
I went from an Altea 2.0 TDI to the Leon 1.8 and I absolutely love it best car I have had upto now goes like a train when you want and when suitable to do so engine,brakes, seat sound and lots of other toys such a great car I one happy owner

Nameless

Bought a 1.8 FR about a week ago after driving two different Audi A4 2.0 TDI B8 for work for about six years. Was initially looking to buy a 280 Cupra but I got a great deal on a used (9 months old/5k miles) 1.8 FR at half the price of the demo Cupra I was looking at and honestly, I'm super happy with the car so far. I find the 1.8 to be a great compromise between sporty and comfortable and it has all the electronic features I want, including awesome sound. Mine is pretty maxed out with the exception of seats and I don't think it rides any worse than the B8 A4 at all, almost the opposite.

The only minor complaint I have is that the bluetooth won't sync contacts with my iPhone 6 but I'm pretty sure that's an iOS issue that will be fixed soon. Before the 8.1 beta I couldn't even connect the phone.

I'm thinking about buying the DTUK plugin box for it, have any of you guys tried it? Mine's a DSG7 so I'm a bit hesitant due to the 250nm "limit" but I haven't heard of any real issues so far so I might give it a shot anyways - I mean 235 HP and some more torque is really tempting.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
How would you compare the 1.8 to the 1.4 (ACT or not) in terms of performance? (if you tested them both, of course). I'm tempted to go for the 1.8 but still can't decide and the local dealers only have the 1.4 for testing, no 1.8 anywere...

Bit of a late reply so soz, I drove the 1.4 and 1.8 back to back (twice) and yeah the 1.4 felt quick but the 1.8 was even better. I did not see a big difference in torque in the first few gears but as you get to 4/5/6th the 1.8 shone. The 1.4 is a little better on fuel than the 1.8, but the 1.8 brakes. suspension, engine is way better on the 1.8. I test drove both cars twice for an hour each but to be honest my mind was made up pretty quick with the 1.8.

Soz a bit long winded but there ye go, 1.8 all day long :1st:

Last edited:

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
You are right about the engine but when it comes to choosing exactly which model to buy it gets more complicated.

I have to 1.4 SE and, although I would probably go for the 1.8, that is only available in FR trim which I did not want.

To be fair, SEAT does give a much wider choice of engines and other options than some manufacturers. A friend wanted a Clio recently, but he must have an automatic. The only option was a top of the range petrol model with all the satnav gear which he didn't want. I reckon the automatic option cost him over 4k.

Another friend has just bought a Citroen C4 and he wanted their very new 1.2 turbo petrol (very similar to the 1.4 turbo SEAT) but there were absolutely no other options available.

Jord

Apr 29, 2012
In relation to the dtuk box there's a lad on Audisport that has had his 1.8 dyno'd at 262bhp and 270lbs ft, with a dtuk fsr box, pedal box and few other little mods. Quite impressive if you ask me!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members