FR 1.8tsi finally here.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Well the wait is over, finally got my new car. Had it two days and already averaging 38mpg (mixed town/dual carriage ways). The ride is great, a great balance between comfort and stability and good torque low down.
The extra options: Tech pack, Convenience pack, Winter pack, Safety pack, Drivers Assist pack, Alacantra seats, Motion Plus, 18inch alloys are all brilliant.
The car is fantastic to drive and has put a big smile on mine and the wife's face. If any one is thinking of getting one of these cars then definitely do it, oh and yes it's in the best colour, Red.

lamds

Sep 30, 2014
Portugal
Congrats for your new toy ;)! I also believe that the 1.8 TSI is one of the most well balanced cars in the moment.

Last edited:

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Congrats for your new toy ;)! I also believe that the 1.8 TSI is one of the most well balanced cars in the moment.

Defo pal, I've owned a few hot hatches in the past and this has surpassed all of them, not being biased like :whistle:

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
good choice. pity you didn't go for DCC too!

Yes it has the DCC (sport, normal, eco)??? I think it came standard with the Easy Connect Motion Plus. :D

Just to confirm I'm not sounding like a tit, but the DCC adjusts engine/steering/AC from Sport/Normal/Eco or am I a talking a pile of doo doo

Last edited:

p.eco

Jun 24, 2014
Ireland
Dynamic Chassis control. Not sure how in UK but here in IRL it cost extra 900e. I think in UK its a part of Dynamic pack. So in addition of the engine & steering; also the chassis changes.

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire

I'm really encouraged to hear people beginning to say this. I was one of the first in the UK to take delivery of the 1.8 TSI way back in June 2013 and love it. Yet, right from the beginning, so many people have been saying that it's not worth the extra money over the 1.4 TSI. Others have said that very few will be sold, depreciation will be high and I won't get much for it when I eventually sell it. There are even some who have said it will be phased out once the Cupra is introduced.

I've never driven the 1.4 TSI so I don't know how they compare. I had a test drive of the 2.0 150 TDI and wasn't over impressed. It seemed to lack something in comparison to my previous car which was the Mk2 170CR TDI. I'd gone to my dealer intending to get the 184 TDI but at the time it wasn't even available to order and I think that's why they tried to sell me the 150 TDI. I've never regretted going for the 1.8 TSI although I did think the salesman was a little surprised at my choice. 18 months later and I still think the 1.8 TSI is a fantastic car and I'm so pleased that I chose this rather than wait for the 184 TDI

Ryanoceros

Mar 12, 2012
Newcastle
What's the mpg like on a 1.8 tsi? I'm considering a mk3 in march or April and I've got a mk2 diesel ecomotive at the minute. I know the diesel 150 or 184 isn't going to be close to what I drive now but i'm starting to sway towards a petrol because I don't do many long journeys.

bertandernie

Apr 4, 2010
Hi Ashworth I was going for diesel at 1st but don't really do the miles to justify it, so went for 1.8 tsi and have to agree with you love it been fab so far, the mpg for me Ryanoceros is around 35 mpg around the.houses not really done a long journey yet so will let you know but couldn't recommend this car enough :-D

Jord

Apr 29, 2012
To help with mpg figures I've just averaged 46mpg over a 120mile journey doing 60,70,80ish mph, my car has only got 1500miles on it so it's only 6weeks old so it's doing well.

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
To help with mpg figures I've just averaged 46mpg over a 120mile journey doing 60,70,80ish mph, my car has only got 1500miles on it so it's only 6weeks old so it's doing well.

I don't do a huge mileage and that's why I was quite happy to go back to petrol after all my last four cars were diesel. I've never regretted it. I thought I liked the VW group diesels but I find the 1.8 TSI so much better.

I've now done over 10,000 miles and I'm averaging about 37 mpg around town and about 43 mpg on a longer journey on main roads and motorways. The other day I did a 50 mile journey up the A1 when the traffic was quite heavy and so couldn't keep up to around the 70 limit and so doing around 60 mph all the way I averaged 48 mpg.

Last edited:

cptSparko

Apr 11, 2014
My 1.8tsi ST average over 2500 miles is 31.11mgp according to Fuelio app. 90% London town stop start driving all short trips. Best tank full so far is 36mpg on a longer Mway run at 70ish...

cptSparko

Apr 11, 2014
Changing driving style makes a huge difference. Really trying hard and concentrating on DWB I can get 40mpg on typical 7mile trip. Binary driving style the same journey can be <30mpg when I fancy using the full 180 horses.

lamds

Sep 30, 2014
Portugal
I'm really encouraged to hear people beginning to say this. I was one of the first in the UK to take delivery of the 1.8 TSI way back in June 2013 and love it. Yet, right from the beginning, so many people have been saying that it's not worth the extra money over the 1.4 TSI. Others have said that very few will be sold, depreciation will be high and I won't get much for it when I eventually sell it. There are even some who have said it will be phased out once the Cupra is introduced.

I've never driven the 1.4 TSI so I don't know how they compare. I had a test drive of the 2.0 150 TDI and wasn't over impressed. It seemed to lack something in comparison to my previous car which was the Mk2 170CR TDI. I'd gone to my dealer intending to get the 184 TDI but at the time it wasn't even available to order and I think that's why they tried to sell me the 150 TDI. I've never regretted going for the 1.8 TSI although I did think the salesman was a little surprised at my choice. 18 months later and I still think the 1.8 TSI is a fantastic car and I'm so pleased that I chose this rather than wait for the 184 TDI

I've mine since the end of October 2013, and at the time I was also balance between the 184 TDI and the 180 TSI, but the price tag had a difference of more than 4k to the diesel. Adding to this, I don't do enough km to justify the investment (currently it has less than 7k). The people that I know said that I was crazy, but as the time passes I'm convinced that this was the right choice. Regrets, don't be able to pick one with DSG, but here in Portugal they don't sell it on the 1.8 TSI, not even as option :banned:!
What I do like is to be able to drive it slowly or hammer it as I feel like, and I do enjoy either ways :p! Sometimes, my wife says that I'm like a child :whistle:.
In conclusion, it can put you a smile in your face. If there are better cars? For sure, but most of them belong to other leagues €€€€!

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Here's one from few months ago when I made 2000+ km trip from Sofia through Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia and back to Bulgaria, driving mostly on highways on Eco mode all the time. It was very hot, so AC was running constantly:
d1fb751f2fbe0bac6ba64629218a8a67.jpg

This translates to 43 UK MPG.

I've had my manual 1.8 TSI FR SC for a year now and it has been a such great pleasure! I was deciding between the 184 TDI but my low mileage made me choose the gasoline instead and I am very glad I did. If you decide to go on a long trip just put it in Eco, it makes a huge difference. In town I use the sport or normal, flooring it often and it gives me between 8-10 l/100km (35-28 MPG) depending on the heaviness of my right foot ;)

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Don't be fooled by the 62km/h average speed reading, I guess it's counting the stops too. I was driving with the speed limit (90-130 km/h depending on the road)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.