FR 184 Fuel Pump Noise possibly?

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
Yesterday i noticed a buzzing sound when i had the radio off, it was a constant pitch, around the rear of the cabin. can not be heard if the radio is on or even heaters. When I turned the car off it continued for around a second.

So today i washed the car and the engine was running an around the rear of the car drivers side i heard a hissing sound.

Is this normal, or is it the start of a failing fuel pump?

MPG all seems OK mixed town driving and some motorway around 47 and on a long run the other day 57. no EML or anything else. I did record the hissing but was hard to make out.

A Skoda forum user recorded his mine is not as loud as this but similar sound.

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
So after a long run today, i still had the noise it is a constant buzz that is coming from under the drivers side rear seat. Out side the car is that hissing sound. I am going to get it checked at a garage this week.

Has anyone else had this?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think I've heard that on out diesel cars. I think it's probably normal.

It's a pump, it's not silent.

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
@Brian Gordon-Stables I will let you know what the garage says and update this thread.

@Mr Pig I totally agree, but this noise was not apparent before and surely you should not hear the pump to a level in the cabin and the very odd hissing sound outside. Looking on the VW / Skoda pages it seems there was faulty batch of fuel pumps and replacing them cures the sound.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
@Mr Pig I totally agree, but this noise was not apparent before and surely you should not hear the pump to a level in the cabin and the very odd hissing sound outside.[/QUOTE]

I've heard the pump buzzing and the hissing noise off out 1.6 TDi and the 2.0 TDi, first heard it years ago. You can't hear in inside the cabin so I just assumed it was normal and never gave it a thought. Not caused any problems.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
you can hear the pump buzzing if everything else is off. Normal driving, inside the cabin you can't hear it.

Not wanting to start a panic but mine failed on my 184FR. Had only done about 50K miles. Left me stranded at the side of the M8.
Approx £700 to fix at main dealer prices.

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
Small update mechanic listened to the car today, said it was louder than normal hissing sounded normal to them. issue is 3rd party warranty wont cover just a noise.

@Big Col what year is or was your FR? and had you had it tuned in any way out of interest? Also did you hear the buzzing inside the cabin or did it just fail.

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
@Big Col Thanks for that, when you say "you can hear the pump buzzing if everything else is off. Normal driving, inside the cabin you can't hear it." is that still after the replacement?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.