FR 184 Tech pack Brake Pads & Brake Bleeding.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Eh up

Doing pads all round this weekend does the tech pack 184 have sensors front and back ?

Also im swapping the fluid out what the brake bleeding sequence ? Ive always gone from the rear longest run and worked my way back, however im reading with the ABS block you do the fronts first :eek:

To be honest as im swapping fluid and not getting rid of trapped air i would not of thought the sequence mattered at all.

Any thoughts lads

thanks

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
The workshop manuals are here:

Go to the one respective for you vehicle (5dr or ST) and look for chapter 4.60 in the ‘Maintenance’ - the sequence will have been written primarily for speed/ease and amount of fluid to drain off (so consumption of new fluid is minimised = big savings to a dealership).

The manual suggests from right front first for right hand drive vehicles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Compo1

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As above, I've always stuck with doing the longer lines first and never had an issue, the quantity/volume of old fluid left in the ABS block and clutch circuit will be very small when compared with the total system volume, so I just give it a miss as I replace fluid after 3 years then every 2 years, plus I tend to do as the official workshop manuals advise and remove as much old fluid from the tank - turkey baster kept for only that job, before refilling and bleeding.

Edit:- I'd doubt if there are any rear brake wear pads in the current SEAT car range, last car I had front and rear brake wear sensors was a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion. My current car a 2011 Audi S4 only has front wear sensors, my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL does not have any brake wear sensors, which I thought was strange as most of the available pads have the sensors! A pair of wire cutters will sort out any wear sensors that are not needed.

Last edited:

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Sensor on front right calliper only.

In terms of the rear pads, there is no wear sensor; however, on the electronic parking brake you do have to re-calibrate when you fit the new pads. I know that on some of the higher end VAG cars, rear brake wear is measured via the rear calliper piston position. I’ll have a re-read of the maintenance manual later.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
VW Group cars with electric handbrakes, require you to perform a fully handbrake retraction and lock out, before working on the rear pads, then when you return them to service, the motors current detection system will work out when they are now fully on with either the old pads or the new ones and when taking the handbrake “off” will now only wind them back to the new correct “off” position.
Originally there was a requirement to use a wind back tool, I bought a new adaptor for my old wind back tool, but I’ve never found a use for it!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise