FR Front Bumper - Honeycomb Grille (Lower) / Bumper Removal

65FR

Oct 23, 2016
After removing the upper grill (Leon mk3 FR) is it possible to remove the chrome surround so it can be painted?

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
So are we saying that the only way to remove the lower grill is to remove the whole bumper?? I had a look at mine this afternoon (want to look at replacing a parking sensor), I removed the 2 bit front screws, but it feels like it's held pretty much all the way round.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
So are we saying that the only way to remove the lower grill is to remove the whole bumper?? I had a look at mine this afternoon (want to look at replacing a parking sensor), I removed the 2 bit front screws, but it feels like it's held pretty much all the way round.

Yes, sh*** loads of clips, i recon you could tow the car from the grill...
But those clips om the grill makes the bumber more rigid, so that is why there are so many.

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
So is it possible to remove those clips without removing the whole bumper?? and of so,how?!?!

My plan was to remove the grill, and then have access (hopefully) to the centre parking sensors.

Hughes395

Mar 29, 2016
It's the front grill I want off to wrap it properly rather than wrapping up to it?

9babdaeea252c8145163694b0dce946e.jpg
How did that wrap go? Did you do it yourself? Ive seen wrap peel paint off when removed is there anyway to insure that this doesnt happen or insurance off the people that do it.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
I've just done this to replace the grill after a car park hit and run.

It is not possible to remove in situ. As I was binning anyway I cut the honeycomb with side cuts and worked the clips from behind.

As a point of note, the outer lower corners have clips pushing from inside the circumference of the grille towards the floor which is different to all the others. I could not see how to access these from the front.

Last edited:
Reactions: declanmc

stevo_nwuk

Feb 12, 2011
I've just done this to replace the grill after a car park hit and run.

It is not possible to remove in situ. As I was binning anyway I cut the honeycomb with side cuts and worked the clips from behind.

As a point of note, the outer lower corners have clips pushing from inside the circumference of the grille towards the floor which is different to all the others. I could not see how to access these from the front.

Hi Ben,
I have a similar situation where a pheasant has made a hole in my grill. So is it possible to cut the old one out and then push the new one in without removing the bumper?
Thanks
Steve

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Hi Ben,
I have a similar situation where a pheasant has made a hole in my grill. So is it possible to cut the old one out and then push the new one in without removing the bumper?
Thanks
Steve
I had the exact same incident as yourself. You can indeed just cut out the old grill untill there is just the plastic frame attached to the bumper. Once the grill is cut out it is dead easy to reach the clips holding the grill in and to remove it. The new grill will then just slot in from the front.

stevo_nwuk

Feb 12, 2011
I had the exact same incident as yourself. You can indeed just cut out the old grill untill there is just the plastic frame attached to the bumper. Once the grill is cut out it is dead easy to reach the clips holding the grill in and to remove it. The new grill will then just slot in from the front.
Excellent - thank you. I was hoping that was the case. I will proceed with ordering one.

Nov 6, 2019
Ideal mate thanks for the info!
It's a bit of a pig of a job to get things back in place on your own. If it's just the grille that you are replacing. I'd cut it out remove the fixings and replace it with clear silicon. I know it will not then be original, but nobody will be able to tell.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members