FR Steering wheel thickness

CupraJ1

Nov 20, 2009
Just noticed my 13 plate FR steering wheel is thinner than other 'later' FR Steering wheels, so i want to change to the thicker one, does anyone know if the airbag will still fit, visually the look the same?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Just noticed my 13 plate FR steering wheel is thinner than other 'later' FR Steering wheels, so i want to change to the thicker one, does anyone know if the airbag will still fit, visually the look the same?

Airbag is exactly the same. The steering wheel was upgraded on the FR later on to the same thickness as the Cupra.

I changed my Cupra 280 steering wheel over to the new Cupra 290 steering wheel without any issues. 20 minute job.

Last edited:

thesuz

Nov 23, 2017
Hi, I've just bought a mk3 63 plate Leon FR TDI 184 and noticed the steering wheel is very skinny feeling as well compared to my previous cars 2012 a5 black edition and seat Ibiza 2011 FR. After reading this post I'm thinking of changing the steering wheel with a newer model if they are thicker. Anyone any ideas from which year they became thicker? Thanks

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Hi guys,

I've got a spare Fr steering wheel (the later, thicker model with fine nappa leather from a 2016 car). It has a couple of scuffs on the back though and is obviously worn a little (not majorly just normal wear).

I'm open to offers for it? I think they retail between £300-£400 new nut I don't expect near that.

Cheers

Tom

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Hi guys,

I've got a spare Fr steering wheel (the later, thicker model with fine nappa leather from a 2016 car). It has a couple of scuffs on the back though and is obviously worn a little (not majorly just normal wear).

I'm open to offers for it? I think they retail between £300-£400 new nut I don't expect near that.

Cheers

Tom

Check your private message :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.