Fr tdi - which discs and pads?

Adamroberts

Apr 9, 2011
Hi guys!

I need to get some discs and pads for the rear of my ibiza.

I have seen some on eBay advertised for the 100bhp, I have the 130bhp fr, would the 100bhp ones fit the 130 or do they use different calipers?

Also the ones on eBay are brembo (standard items), I have heard that mintex are good also, of those two, which would be the best option?

Now to throw a spanner in the works.... Would the Halfords ones be worth a go or should I stay away?

Thanks in advance!

J44APX

No Smoke - No Poke
Oct 31, 2011
Boston
130 Are different to 100 ( The size of disc )
Brembo are good but expensive imo Mintex are a balance of both

Halfords :ban:
I would try seat if you wanted to stay standard
Motor factors if you want cheap
eBay if you want something different - ie drilled/grooved/dimpled

Hope this helps :shrug:

Adamroberts

Apr 9, 2011
I want to just have standard items but don't want to pay a fortune.

What size discs would I need for the 130?

I seem to be coming across 232mm discs, would that be right?

J44APX

No Smoke - No Poke
Oct 31, 2011
Boston
I should :ban: myself
Sorry your talking about rear
Your right in saying there all the same
And 232mm is correct

*Note to self must read post properly :censored:

Apr 12, 2010
Just fitted mtec front and rear discs with mintex pads on mine £164 all in. Seem quite good upto press

Adamroberts

Apr 9, 2011
Well I have ordered the brembo's from eBay as they seemed to be the best deal from a decent manufacturer.

I could have got pagid's from ECP for slightly more but i have never heard of them (although it does say about them being oem items). I may give those a go for the fronts in the future!

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Well I have ordered the brembo's from eBay as they seemed to be the best deal from a decent manufacturer.

I could have got pagid's from ECP for slightly more but i have never heard of them (although it does say about them being oem items). I may give those a go for the fronts in the future!
I've got Pagid discs on mine, I have a brake squeel sometimes, thought it was the (Pagid) pads that were the issue, so I put genuine SEAT pads in, and the issue remains. So I think the issue is the discs. The annoying thing is these Pagid discs have pretty much been squeeling from new.

My advice to you would be to get Brembos again. That's what I'll be doing.

Last edited:

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
What have you got on the front?

Remember, you must never put better quality pads/discs on the rear, than the front. It may cause the rear to lock up under hard breaking!

That said, I'd go for plain rear discs, and pads from a known manufacturer (but OEM quality).

Last edited:

Adamroberts

Apr 9, 2011
Just oem on the front atm.

I think I may upgrade the set up if I go for a remap! If not I will just get the same make on the front!

Are the TT brakes a bolt on for the 130 fr?

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
What have you got on the front?

Remember, you must never put better quality pads/discs on the rear, than the front. It may cause the rear to lock up under hard breaking!

That said, I'd go for plain rear discs, and pads from a known manufacturer (but OEM quality).
The Brembo's in question are just their OEM standard range, not high performance discs, but still very good quality.
Just oem on the front atm.

I think I may upgrade the set up if I go for a remap! If not I will just get the same make on the front!

Are the TT brakes a bolt on for the 130 fr?
I think all you need for TT brakes is the carriers, calipers, discs and pads. I'm sure someone else will be along to confirm...

Adamroberts

Apr 9, 2011
I opened up my box of pads today and there was also a bag of bolts and metal plates, can anyone tell me what these are please?

richprince

the metal plates are new inserts for the carrier which the pads slide on and the new bolts replace the ones that hold the caliper to the carrier.

richprince

I just use a flatblade screwdriver mate, yea there easy to fit back in just the oppisite of taking them out.

Adamroberts

Apr 9, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys!

I have the rears all done and dusted now!

The only problem I have is that there is an annoying squeal when braking. The car did this before I fitted the new discs and pads, but I thought it was just a case of the old ones were knackered.

I really am not sure where the noise could be coming from because i completely covered the back of the pad with copper grease and all of the contact points where the pad touches....

It may just be coming from the front, but it is hard to tell when I am inside the car :(

If it is the front's, can I simply take the pads out and grease everything up and reassemble? or do I have to replace the pads?

Sorry for all of the questions!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.