FR v VRS - which one ?

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
Hello

I've got about 9k to spend on a new car - well new to me

I've narrowed it down to either the Leon FR or the Octavia VRS - in petrol as I fancy a change from diesel and because i am concerned about the reliability issues with the DPF etc... although as a curve ball I am half tempted by an Altea FR TDI but I digress...

So has anyone owned both ? I am familiar with the Leon Fr and know the ride is harder - I expect there to be a bias on this site but I'm going to ask anyway !

Where would your hard earned money go ?

thanks

Weegie75

fr

Hi, i have a 10 plate Leon fr tdi which is fantastic. I also used to own a Fabia Vrs which was my Favourite car ever. I'm not sure about the newer shape Octavia but my friend had the mk1 and it was agreat car. The 1.8T is a crackin engine. If you could find a good one of them, that would be my choice.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
when i got my leon i also liked the Octavia vrs like both cars, you would have to test drive both and see what you think

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Hi, i have a 10 plate Leon fr tdi which is fantastic. I also used to own a Fabia Vrs which was my Favourite car ever. I'm not sure about the newer shape Octavia but my friend had the mk1 and it was agreat car. The 1.8T is a crackin engine. If you could find a good one of them, that would be my choice.

The 1.8T Octavia would be old school though and comparable to the MK1 Leon Cupra as they share the 1.8T engine and turbo.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
thing is you ask on a seat forum the answer will invariably be seat, vice versa with skoda.

performance difference: negligable
Dealerships/service: skoda easily
Space: vRS easily
looks: Leon Fr
interior: vRS easily
Handling/ride: seat is alot stiffer, also a little lighter, but very likely only to be a small difference in the handling if noticable at all. any difference would only show up at the limits id suspect.

to summarise, same chassis, same brakes, same gear box, same engine etc etc.

Im after a cupra, however if i could get a k04 vRS the cupra wouldnt get a look in.

fireblade929

Jul 11, 2010
Cleethorpes
i,ve got a cupra now, but previously had 3 octavia vrs,s , the last one being a mk2 in blue, had it for 3 years , fantastic car and never let me down, the boot is huge, which is something i miss. certainly quick enough and not many people overtook me!! he he. btw it was a 2.0 tfsi with the k03 turbo, p\x it at a local garage, 3 years old 26000m on the clock, one owner loads of extras......£8500 ouch, still the cupras not bad, if only i could shake the police off its tail, it would be even better.............

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Just about to take delivery of a new DSG CR vRS hatch. My little boy arrived last week and with 2 children now I wanted the extra space.

I'm looking forward to the vRS although I know it won't have the looks of my outgoing FR I had to compromise. The interior will be better mind amd I'm looking forward to having some paddles to play with and with the box ticked for the Eibach suspension kit I'm sure with some tasteful tints it will look superb in race blue.

Just need to keep my hi vis side jacket on the parcel shelf now and the traffic will part!!!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Justa, theres a low mileage Fabia VRS on a 07 plate [one owner 5.4k miles] in a dealers at Chippenham wiltshire if your interested, was very tempted as a second car. ...................

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
thing is you ask on a seat forum the answer will invariably be seat, vice versa with skoda.

performance difference: negligable
Dealerships/service: skoda easily
Space: vRS easily
looks: Leon Fr
interior: vRS easily
Handling/ride: seat is alot stiffer, also a little lighter, but very likely only to be a small difference in the handling if noticable at all. any difference would only show up at the limits id suspect.

to summarise, same chassis, same brakes, same gear box, same engine etc etc.

Im after a cupra, however if i could get a k04 vRS the cupra wouldnt get a look in.

I will agree that for 9K you will only get a Pre-FL model and the interior is a little dated but if you had more money to spend a FL model's interior is vastly improved and the suspension is a lot nicer, even after you lower it!

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
even the facelift is a step down in interior compared to the vRS. Its a shame, because if it wasn't for the interior i think the seat would be an excellent car

DandB

My other car
Jul 20, 2007
London
even the facelift is a step down in interior compared to the vRS. Its a shame, because if it wasn't for the interior i think the seat would be an excellent car

Coming from a fully loaded Audi with leather heated seats, sat nav etc etc I can honestly say that i have no problem with the interior of the SEAT, mind you with almost 400bhp i dont look at the interior that much! :D

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Although things have obviously changed a lot since the old days, the vRS is still a skoda... :)

springer

May 30, 2010
Good cars Octavias my cousin had a tfsi estate(55 plate) then swapped for a Impreza wrxs and is now back with a vrs diesel hatch back(57 plate)well built and loads of room for kids and has a massive boot,driven it and it handles well too,not driven a mk2 leon so cant comment

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I know it's a good car, carries a good engine etc. But there is no getting away from the fact that it has a skoda badge on it, no matter how good the car is.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.