FR won’t start after sitting for 3 weeks

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi all, looking for any help
Yesterday I got back from work after 3 weeks away. Got to car and opened it with remote - all seemed ok
Went to start car but only got 2 slow turns of engine then nothing. Tried again and all I got was “click” nothing.
Now I’m thinking flat battery so managed to get a booster charger and tried again, this time the engine started but cut out straight away. Done this another couple of times with the same outcome.
Phoned the AA but after an hour there was no change so the car was towed to a local garage and I’m still at a loss as to why it keeps cutting out.
There is still 1/4 tank of diesel and I’ve also tried to start her with my other keys.
Please help………

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
May well be the battery or the alternator or both. Had problems with my battery since May because the car isn't used for weeks at a time.

If it cuts out after starting then the alternator may not be charging. Had that happen a few years ago. Worth checking the fuse box on top of the battery before replacing the alternator. A garage replaced a working alternator before finding the melted alternator fuse.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Checked all the fuses both on top of battery and in side panel - all OK
The AA guy also disconnected the battery (said it was a bit low) and then used a booster pack to start the car but with the same outcome - started then cut out
Would it be something to do with immobiliser?
Oh another thing I noticed, there is nothing in the lcds in the dash plus all the dash lights come on and stay on when the key is turned

Vaios_Greece

Jun 11, 2020
Maybe a fuel pump error? The engine starts using fuel that has been left in, but when trying to use more, it cuts off cause fuel cannot be sent. Just a thought

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G975F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Reactions: bruceR

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
My fuse box on top of the battery looked fine but it was melted under the largest alternator fuse. Does sound more electrical if your dash is behaving strange. Have you tried scanning it with VCDS.

If it's been sat a while water may have gotten into the ECU wiring in the scuttle panel. That can give lots of electrical problems.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Cheers Chris, yeah tried to check with my scanner but couldn’t get communication with car
The AA guy tried with his scanner but the same

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
You're welcome Bruce, it's clearly not very happy if it's not responding to a scanner.

Get a decent power supply to it, ideally a fresh battery or fully charge the one on there. If you're going to recharge the existing one, disconnect it from the car. That'll prevent extra current being forced through a questionable system, plus it'll reboot the ECU.

Hopefully it'll work fine once it has over 12 volts to work with.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I would change the fuel pump relay as this happened to me if the relay dies you can not get to talk with the engine ecu but you can with the abs ecu

Yellow fr

Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
When new relay is in keep turning the ign on and off till you stop hearing the fuel pump as the fuel filter housing will be full off fuel so the car will start easier

Yellow fr

Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Yes it’s under the drivers side you have to remove the panel under the steering column

I know that’s a cupra r but it’s the same to get to it but a different relay number
Sorry can’t remember the number

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Got it, think it’s the 109 relay
c679f4ef8f8decf9c037b9723e478136.jpg

Can anyone confirm.

Reggie Cupra TDi

Jan 14, 2016
...failing this i would try cam sensor, common on the pd150, if you google 'cam sensor', its related to fuelling ect.. mine did same thing, struggled to start and would cut out, replaced with eBay part, still wasn't right, so i took to the garage and they advised on genuine sensor and promised it would sort it, thankfully it did and all is good since it fit 12month ago.

hope this helps..

Reactions: bruceR
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.