FR150 1.5 Evo

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Hi all. My wife has a 66 plate Ibiza 1.4 FR but in the previous body shape. Great little car and pulls well but as is the norm with the older FR cars, the ride quality is terrible! Maybe I’ve been spoiled by the DCC in my Golf! That aside, does anyone have any experiences of the mk6 150 FR - things to look out for, problems etc - as we’re thinking of getting her this car. It’ll be a bit bigger and hopefully, a bit more comfortable than her current Ibiza which means we can use it more as our main car - which means I can get rid of my Golf and possibly order a GR Yaris! Any tips/experiences welcome! TIA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
There’s been quite a lot of discussion over on the mk3 Leon forum board about the 1.5 EVO engine and the ‘kangarooing’ issues. I don’t know if these issues affect the Ibiza, but it does affect other VAG brand models so the Ibiza probably is affected;

Also worth reading through these Honest John articles about the Kangarooing issue with the 1.5 EVO engine. judging by discussions on forums and the last Honest John article below, the fix referred to doesn’t appear to have been entirely successful in all cases.

If you Google ‘VW 1.5 EVO kangaroo issues’ you’ll see this issue is discussed on a number of other VAG forums.

Reactions: xyz

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I wouldn’t particularly fancy another 1.5 TSI through choice

Yours Sincerely
previous 1.5 TSI owner

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Hesitation - or in extreme cases stalling when the 1.5 engine is cold through no fault of the driver, (despite what VAG claimed
in it's early days) and it affected around 20% of the then new 1.5 TSI engines. Many reports of issues with particularly manual,
but also some DSG-equipped cars from all 4 of the 'mass-market' VAG brands, including SEAT of course.

Although VAG UK spouted BS about there being no issue and it took them too long to sort it, they did come-up with a service
bulletin in late 2019 for an update/remap/fix which seemingly solved the issue for most if not every single of the so affected
150 PS-output engines, (engine type code DADA.)
My own 2019 Golf was one 'DADA' that suffered cold hesitation in a modest way, but the free dealer 'fix' at 6 weeks old did the
trick OK, with bonus that the car pulled better generally afterwards and it has been fine ever since.

Less certain are those surprisingly different 1.5's with engine code DACA, (the lower-output 130PS types) which were fitted to
few VAG models and some of these were withdrawn rather quickly. Some owners of these still report that there is no properly
effective fix for those that do suffer from poor running when cold.

So, the current best advice is probably that any '150' DADA engines that were affected should have been sorted by now, (or
they easily can be) - but there is still a big question mark over any '130' DACA type.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Kangarooing?

Yes Kangarooing

Also very lack lustre engine. Geared way too long. I guess its for economy but the engine brings no excitement. Very bland engine and not great fuel economy either, think my long term was 36-37mpg

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Yes Kangarooing

Also very lack lustre engine. Geared way too long. I guess its for economy but the engine brings no excitement. Very bland engine and not great fuel economy either, think my long term was 36-37mpg

I’m surprised as my wife has a 1.4 150 Ibiza and even after my Golf R, it feels nippy. I thought the 1.5 would be a good replacement. Would the hesitancy be down to the accelerator which could be sorted with a pedal box? I know the 130 engines have still been problematic but I’ve read that most 150 engines have been sorted with a software update. Trying to find a car that’s not too big but could be used as a main car with enough oomph to do the odd long journey and comfort to match. Her previous gen Ibiza goes well but in FR spec, the suspension is terrible.

Last edited:

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
A cheaper option of making your current Ibiza more bearable in the ride department could well work if
the car is suitable in all other ways.

I'm assuming it's currently on 17" alloys wrapped with 'sporty' 215/40 tyres., which would struggle to be
comfortable on any car. If the wheels are still in good condition and you like them, a change to a more
comfortable/quieter 'tourer' style tyre in 205/45, (something like Uniroyals) will help quite a bit and still
provide plenty of dry grip and maybe more in the wet.
This size would fill the arches a fraction more to maintain looks if that bothers you and raise the overall
gearing by 2%, making the speedo slightly more accurate, (but still over-reading as all modern cars do.)

Taking that idea to another level, a substitute of lighter 15/16" wheels of the same width with suitable
tyres would make the car even nicer to drive on most typical road conditions, be cheaper to replace and
also offer small benefits to the car's acceleration and fuel economy.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
A cheaper option of making your current Ibiza more bearable in the ride department could well work if
the car is suitable in all other ways.

I'm assuming it's currently on 17" alloys wrapped with 'sporty' 215/40 tyres., which would struggle to be
comfortable on any car. If the wheels are still in good condition and you like them, a change to a more
comfortable/quieter 'tourer' style tyre in 205/45, (something like Uniroyals) will help quite a bit and still
provide plenty of dry grip and maybe more in the wet.
This size would fill the arches a fraction more to maintain looks if that bothers you and raise the overall
gearing by 2%, making the speedo slightly more accurate, (but still over-reading as all modern cars do.)

Taking that idea to another level, a substitute of lighter 15/16" wheels of the same width with suitable
tyres would make the car even nicer to drive on most typical road conditions, be cheaper to replace and
also offer small benefits to the car's acceleration and fuel economy.

I did wonder about the tyres and how much the sidewall stiffness makes a difference plus they are the 17” ones as you mentioned. It has Michelin on the front and Goodyear on the back. Z rated too so that probably explains the firmer ride. The smaller wheels and different tyres might be the way to go - it’s a good car and only has 16,000 on the clock so not really a need to change just for ride comfort I guess.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
One thing that I did notice about 205/45x17" tyres is that most of them are Extra Load, (XL) rated - or worse,
Runflats, which indicates stiffer sidewalls - although Bridgestone's T005 in this size are an exception and quite
a good, quiet tyre IME - when fitted on a relative's mid-size 1600 MPV at least.

A drop down to 16's or even 15" certainly opens-up a much wider choice, with tyre size 195/50x16" maybe an
ideal overall compromise to retain looks, being only 2.6% larger rolling radius compared to 215/40x17" - again
a quick search shows that Dunlop, Bridgestone and Yokohama offer suitable non-XL tyres in this size.

SEAT themselves supplied Ibizas with modest 185/60x15" through to 215/45X16", although neither of these
extremes seem to be an ideal size to be the best possible overall choice.
205/50x16" is another option that would fill the arches even better, but at 4.4% larger in diameter - and although
perfectly safe - is getting near to the sensible '5%' guide limit that most tyre experts advise.

Whatever is chosen, a modest 1.4 Ibiza is not going to need any tyre speed rating higher than 'V' or a width
above 205 for a car of this weight for road use, unless looks/image are the be-all/end-all.

As always, you have to inform the insurance about changes, but most underwriters are not concerned about size
changes within such sensible limits, providing both rims and tyres are fit for purpose. Another member on here
sometime in June 2019 changed his wheels to aftermarket 15" alloys on his Mk.3 Leon, complete with deep
sidewall all-season tyres with no insurance impact and swears it improved how the car drives no-end.

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I shudder remembering those 215/40 R17 tyres I had on Ibiza..it would literally pick out road impefections and any potholes would transmit them directly into the car and myself

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I shudder remembering those 215/40 R17 tyres I had on Ibiza..it would literally pick out road impefections and any potholes would transmit them directly into the car and myself

I’ve driven mainly warm / hot hatchbacks since the early 1980’s, so I’m used to cars with low profile tyres and a firm suspension set up.

My previous Polo GTI had 215/40 R17’s (Conti Sport Contact) and I found the ride comfort to be fine, IMO striking a good balance between ride and handling for a small hot hatch. I don’t know how that would compare to an Ibiza FR on the same size and profile of tyres - probably similar. My current car (current generation Polo GTI+) is on 18” wheels with 40 profile tyres and for me the ride and handling is very good for a small performance car - in fact the ride is more compliant than it was in my previous car, but not at the expense of handling.

Different people will have different views of what is or isn’t good / acceptable in terms of ride comfort. I think if someone has been used to driving a car with higher profile tyres and a suspension set up that has a bias towards comfort, they may find 17” wheels with 215/40 R17 tyres on a small sports oriented model to be too firm for their taste.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise