Fr184 mpg

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
Anyone remember when theirs loosened up a bit in terms of MPG ? I'm nearly at 1800 miles and long term is only 39. I'm sure it'll get better just wondering when. I've mostly done long journeys with a little running around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
How does everyone achieve such amazing MPG?
On a long run on a motorway cruising around 70mph i can achieve 55-57mpg.
That is with the 205-wide winter tires..
I just fitted the stock 225/45-17 wheels and i dont really want to know what will happend to the consumption now :cry: :p

EoinM

I usually get over 60mpg on a round trip to and from work, 1.5-2 hours each way, but I leave very early in the morning and either before or after the evening rush hour. I encounter little traffic and the road types help. Motorways eat away at mpg, the roads I use are 50/60mph limits and heavily enforced meaning you can't really pull the p1ss.

Throw in town driving and the average over the tank drops to low 50s, all town driving gives mid 30s.

225/40/18s, Goodyear efficient grip performance tyres which are supposed to help mpg but can't say I've noticed a difference to be honest.

Last edited:

DaFoot

Jun 16, 2014
Sheffield
www.dafoot.co.uk

Exactly how I'm feeling :(

A touch over 6k miles done now. I'm getting (calculated in a big spreadsheet) ~49-50mpg.

Occasionally the car computer tells me a journey had an average of mid-50s but that's the exception. I've tried running in sport, in eco, with and without ACC use, driving lively and driving grandad but my long-term in car computer is 50.4mpg and averaging 49ish mpg average when calculated.

The fuel has always been Shell, this tank I'm trying their Nitro/vPower fuel and sport mode I wonder how that will turn out.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
On a long run on a motorway cruising around 70mph i can achieve 55-57mpg.
That is with the 205-wide winter tires..
I just fitted the stock 225/45-17 wheels and i dont really want to know what will happend to the consumption now :cry: :p

I'm not too much of a grandad driver, but I get around 55-58 on motorways runs at 75-ish...

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
what mileage have you done so far and when did you notice the motor loosening up ?

I've done 11533 so far; I can't say when I became aware it had loosened up particularly.
Was a showroom car with 7 miles, and first time I really used it was the 3rd day when I drove to Blackburn and back (430 miles round trip) and did 63mpg, driving very carefully at less then 2500rpm to bed it in.
last week I did 220 miles to Crawley and back, and got over 55mpg doing 75-ish on motorways.
I don't thrash it, and use the torque to accelerate most of the time so I don't rev too much.
Most of my mileage is on A and B roads around the countryside where I live; Just did 18 miles to the tip and back - 52.2 mpg. and I wasn't consciously hanging about. think it's just being easy on the loud pedal for me....

DaFoot

Jun 16, 2014
Sheffield
www.dafoot.co.uk
I've done 11533 so far; I can't say when I became aware it had loosened up particularly.
Was a showroom car with 7 miles, and first time I really used it was the 3rd day when I drove to Blackburn and back (430 miles round trip) and did 63mpg, driving very carefully at less then 2500rpm to bed it in.
last week I did 220 miles to Crawley and back, and got over 55mpg doing 75-ish on motorways.
I don't thrash it, and use the torque to accelerate most of the time so I don't rev too much.
Most of my mileage is on A and B roads around the countryside where I live; Just did 18 miles to the tip and back - 52.2 mpg. and I wasn't consciously hanging about. think it's just being easy on the loud pedal for me....

Are those figures from car computer or calculated by you when you fill up?

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014

What wheels/tires are you running on your car?
You seem to be achieving the same MPG as me on winter tires :)

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
225/45/17
started with pirelli cinturato C7 (OEM), switched to Nokian WRD3 in Nov, and switched back to cints yesterday. can't say I've noticed any real difference in mpg between them.
Drove from here to Cambridge last night and back again - round trip 90 miles, was mainly A&B roads going, so 4th and 5th mainly, and dual carriageway coming back.
got 56mpg going (bit slowly) and 54 coming back (a bit quicker!)
run them at 34psi when I remember to check....

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Mines done 26K miles now and I will often see over 60 MPG on a run to work and if I don't get caught in traffic 65-70 MPG is doable.

Long term is showing 57 MPG which from tank-to-tank calculation is pretty much accurate (though it's not long reset) I often get close to 600 miles before needing to fill up.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Mines done 26K miles now and I will often see over 60 MPG on a run to work and if I don't get caught in traffic 65-70 MPG is doable.

Long term is showing 57 MPG which from tank-to-tank calculation is pretty much accurate (though it's not long reset) I often get close to 600 miles before needing to fill up.
That's insane. My average highway consumption is around 6,0-6,5liter/100km..
So I'm nowhere near your numbers.

However do you know if you have some kind of additive in your diesel or if it is the pure diesel?

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I always try to fill up using Shell vPower or BP Ultimate diesel. Half a tank from Tesco only if I've been caught short.

I noticed a massive difference when I changed the stock, front Conti SC 5's to GY Efficient Grip Performance and a little more difference now that the rears have also been replaced with the GY's.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
I always try to fill up using Shell vPower or BP Ultimate diesel. Half a tank from Tesco only if I've been caught short.

I noticed a massive difference when I changed the stock, front Conti SC 5's to GY Efficient Grip Performance and a little more difference now that the rears have also been replaced with the GY's.
Hm okay.
I know that the diesel we have in Sweden has less energy in it compared for example the diesel that you can get in Germany.
We have some sort of biodiesel, not to be confused with the biodiesel that can be bought in the rest of EU.
This could be causing my higher consumption combined with my tires perhaps..

I usually get 650-700km out of a tank before the refuel light comes on.

MannyMike

Jun 17, 2015
I've driven mine for about 900 miles and I'm supposedly getting an average MPG of just under 40. Although I've been driving it around in sport mode like a kid with a lead right foot at times.
Love it! :D

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
I'm averaging just over 52mpg, but I think the DSG does hinder it compared to a manual car. The 16mile journey to/from work isn't great in the winter either.

pvm1234567890

Mar 10, 2015
Meath, Ireland
I usually get 650-700km out of a tank before the refuel light comes on.

I'm usually pushing 700km or so and then the refuel light comes on, but I usually have 120km or so left in the tank at that stage. I do refuel when the light comes on though.

Best I've seen to date just under 60mpg. With a 50km trip to work every day, I usually see between 50 and 52 mpg. Not getting anywhere near 700 miles out of a tank, dunno how that's being done?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members