Freeview TV in your cupra

Poverty

Has anyone got this? I have seen a Audi TT-S that has this and would want it my car. Cannot remember if his TV screen built into the dash was the VAG one or aftermarket, but wouldnt you need a ariel or something to get a good signal whilst driving/parked?

matthewbentham

Cupra averaged 41mpg once
Has anyone got this? I have seen a Audi TT-S that has this and would want it my car. Cannot remember if his TV screen built into the dash was the VAG one or aftermarket, but wouldnt you need a ariel or something to get a good signal whilst driving/parked?

I have a freeview tuner in my car but unless you are near to a digital transmitter you won't get a good signal. I live in Coventry and had to drive to Sutton Coldfield to set it up as the transmitter nearest me isn't transmitting a digital signal until 2011. Also as the some transmitters are sending out both analogue and digital signals, the power is split between them, so when the analogue signal is finally switched off, you'll get a better and more stable digital signal. You'll need a good aerial as the wire ones you get with some tuners are rubbish.

Poverty

So the freeview tuner is inbuilt into your pioneer TV/SAT Nav unit or is it a seperate box in your boot?

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds

It is a factory fit option on the TT.

I think it uses the colour screen from the sat nav as the display, but the digital tuner is an extra cost on top of the colour sat nav. According to the brochure you only get a pictures when the car is stationary, but you still get sound on the move.

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
It is a factory fit option on the TT.

I think it uses the colour screen from the sat nav as the display, but the digital tuner is an extra cost on top of the colour sat nav. According to the brochure you only get a pictures when the car is stationary, but you still get sound on the move.

Same as my MFD3 can play DVD's and then it's around £100 ish for a TV Tuner box ....

IMG_4967-vi.jpg

matthewbentham

Cupra averaged 41mpg once
Just been thinking, on your pioneer screen is it possible to link up other sources such as say a laptop? Just thinking that it would be cool to have internet on the go!

you could do. but why woiuld you want to wire up your laptop? so you can surf the net on a smaller screen?!?! if you want to surf the net in your car, then get a 'car'puter. just type that in on eBay and you'll get what you want

Poverty

will look at the carputer stuff. Basically the idea behind it is say, If I quickly wanted to play a song with the accompanying video through the car sound system, or just play different songs off from youtube through the car.

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
or as an £800 option on the TT :-o

The Audi TV tuner connects to the RNS-E / MMI system and is completely integrated in to the unit - all channel tuning, changing, etc is done on the headunit / mfsw. It also has diversity tuners for better reception... Still it isn't worth £800... Nor is the MFD3 worth £1600 from Seat... But the TV unit can be picked up from Ebay for around £200 and becomes very itneresting then... Same way that a £600 saving on the MFD3 makes that interesting! :)

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
The Audi TV tuner connects to the RNS-E / MMI system and is completely integrated in to the unit - all channel tuning, changing, etc is done on the headunit / mfsw. It also has diversity tuners for better reception... Still it isn't worth £800... Nor is the MFD3 worth £1600 from Seat... But the TV unit can be picked up from Ebay for around £200 and becomes very itneresting then... Same way that a £600 saving on the MFD3 makes that interesting! :)

Or a £1000 saving makes it really interesting ;)