Front Shock Absorber diameter for my ST?

Sk8ir

Dec 30, 2019
Hi folks,

Bit of a long shot this one, but you never know (I have had a good search!).

I will be replacing the front shocks on my 2015 Leon ST 1.4 (CZCA/92kw). It's just standard spec, with no fancy electronic or sports suspension.

Bilstein's parts finder seems to think I need something like the B4 (22-232342) which has a 55mm outside diameter.

Sachs say that I need something with a 50mm outside diameter (like their part no. 315 910)

I've just been out to look at the car and the original stickers are long gone, and I'm away from home and don't have verniers with me.

Anyone know for sure whether I need 50 or 55mm on a *non* sports model?

Cheers!

iNowack

Feb 23, 2017
Belgrade
It should be 50mm, as far as my research proove only models above 150ps have 55mm. But your is ST so im maybe wrong.

Mine is 2016 150ps 2.0 tdi FR and has 50mm (which i would not expect as 2.0 tdi engine is a bit heavy on front end)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Sk8ir

Dec 30, 2019
It should be 50mm, as far as my research proove only models above 150ps have 55mm. But your is ST so im maybe wrong.

Mine is 2016 150ps 2.0 tdi FR and has 50mm (which i would not expect as 2.0 tdi engine is a bit heavy on front end)

Thanks! Yep, I guess that makes sense, that the higher output/sportier ones would have fatter shocks. Plus it's sod's law, as I can get some decent Sachs 55mm ones cheaper than the 50mm!

After posting my question I had a bit of "d'oh" moment, and I've bodged a bit of a cardboard template to use as a measuring device. So I can check on the car in daylight tomorrow.

iNowack

Feb 23, 2017
Belgrade
Thanks! Yep, I guess that makes sense, that the higher output/sportier ones would have fatter shocks. Plus it's sod's law, as I can get some decent Sachs 55mm ones cheaper than the 50mm!

After posting my question I had a bit of "d'oh" moment, and I've bodged a bit of a cardboard template to use as a measuring device. So I can check on the car in daylight tomorrow.
Yeah i found also that 55mm are cheaper which maybe makes sense as 50mm with same lenght have to support eg my heavy 2.0 150ps tdi engine which is the almost identical to 2.0 184ps engine yet 184 ps tdi leon has also bigger brakes and independent suspension

Sk8ir

Dec 30, 2019
Just to confirm - went out and measured this morning, and it's definitely a 50mm outside diameter (on my 2015 1.4 TSI SE with standard suspension). Was able to get a homemade cardboard 'spanner' template in to size it by turning the wheels to full lock, no need to get it up in the air. Hope that's of help if anyone else is searching in the future.

Thanks again @iNowack for your help too.